collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mandatory bear ID test  (Read 16082 times)

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
Mandatory bear ID test
« on: July 03, 2018, 05:09:43 PM »
Is this a new thing?  I don't remember seeing it last year.  Then again, I only get a bear tag just incase I see one while out hunting other things.  This year I plan on trying to actually go after a bear.

Black bear identification test required in GMUs 101, 105, 108, 111, 113, 117, 203, 204, 209, 215, 418, 426. Pg. 70 of regs

You have to pass with an 80% or higher.  I'm not a bear hunter, but I just took mine and passed it with no issues.  You can find it when you sign into the WDFW wild system under Mandatory Species Identification Tests.  Its just 10 questions and only takes a couple minutes. 
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: Mandatory bear ID test
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 05:48:11 PM »
Yep, thier gonna make lots of money off this one.😉

Thanks for posting.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline heronblu

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 09:08:13 AM »

Thanks for posting.👍

Who's making what money? It's a free test to take.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »

Thanks for posting.👍

I think he is referring to tickets to those who didn't realize they had to take the test and retain the passing grade slip with them in field.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 09:48:08 AM »

Thanks for posting.👍

I think he is referring to tickets to those who didn't realize they had to take the test and retain the passing grade slip with them in field.

Yep, GMU 418, wet siders going to the dry side.

Easy test 100% here.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline acrim

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: NRA for Life
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 09:59:57 AM »
Easy test , but the mandated retaining of another damn piece of paper in the field is a PITA !    Come on WDFW , make it a mandatory part of a bear tag...  I'm having a terrible time finding a camo , scent free , Briefcase  :bash:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2018, 10:06:45 AM »
I completely agree with requiring the training to keep hunters from accidentally shooting a grizzly, I've advocated years for this. But, I had missed the part that you must carry proof of passing. How stupid is that, this is the digital age, the endorsement should show on your license. Any warden can easily look at your online profile and check too, or hasn't WDFW figured out how to do that?

One more reason to be disgusted with WDFW, they can't do anything the smart and easy way!  :bash:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2018, 10:26:33 AM »
I completely agree with requiring the training to keep hunters from accidentally shooting a grizzly, I've advocated years for this. But, I had missed the part that you must carry proof of passing. How stupid is that, this is the digital age, the endorsement should show on your license. Any warden can easily look at your online profile and check too, or hasn't WDFW figured out how to do that?

One more reason to be disgusted with WDFW, they can't do anything the smart and easy way!  :bash:
I don't disagree with the proof on the license part.

But as far as checking it on the computer, the computers in their trucks are based off cell service. No cell service = a brick in the truck.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 10:30:10 AM »
I agree that the certification should show as a line item on the license.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 10:35:51 AM »

I completely agree.  There are times where my licenses are not where they are supposed to be or I forget them in the other jacket, and either have to just go with it or not hunt or Fish. I have a screen shot of my licenses or can easily pull them up online, but I would still get a ticket.

How would we go about pushing for a policy change to allow digital proof of licensure? 

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2018, 10:38:57 AM »

I completely agree.  There are times where my licenses are not where they are supposed to be or I forget them in the other jacket, and either have to just go with it or not hunt or Fish. I have a screen shot of my licenses or can easily pull them up online, but I would still get a ticket.

How would we go about pushing for a policy change to allow digital proof of licensure?
It wouldn't be a policy change. You'd have to get WDFWs support and then have the WA legislature to enact it into law. Good luck.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2018, 11:11:38 AM »
The Bear ID cert is a half of a page.  I will shrink it down to make it easier to carry with all my other tags.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2018, 12:46:42 PM »
Wouldn’t it be easiest to make it so we had to take the test before we could buy a bear tag? That way, a guy can’t have a bear tag without having taken and passed the test.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline KB88

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2018, 01:01:22 PM »
Wouldn’t it be easiest to make it so we had to take the test before we could buy a bear tag? That way, a guy can’t have a bear tag without having taken and passed the test.

Yes it would, but again; things can’t be that easy in this state. Also how else could they make money off enforcement fines with it being so obviously listed on our license?

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2018, 02:23:11 PM »

Yes it would, but again; things can’t be that easy in this state. Also how else could they make money off enforcement fines with it being so obviously listed on our license?
The fines go to the county not WDFW.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 06:56:45 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]