collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dogs in the woods when it’s hot out  (Read 4034 times)

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Dogs in the woods when it’s hot out
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2018, 10:41:35 PM »
My griffon is the same way in regards to heat.  I think they can take more then we think they can, but from what I've read of dogs that have overheated the symptoms come on very quickly.  I don't worry so much if we're in the woods hiking or whatnot as we're often in cover that provides shade, but I avoid early season hunting solely to avoid the heat.  Keep doing what you're doing, and if not close to water, pack a ton of water so you can wet her down on occasion.  A dog that is in shape will definitely help as well.  Whatever you do, don't shave her coat, it might be time for a good stripping though. 

Offline Alex4200

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2018, 12:10:28 AM »
Several years ago I was in South Dakota for the Pheasant opener in October. It was the hottest opener on record. I don’t remember exact numbers but there was something like 40 dogs that died in the field state wide that weekend from heat stress. The daytime temperature wasn’t that high, I want to say low 80’s. There were several dogs at the hotel we were staying at that were having heat related issues the owners were having to deal with.

Bottom line is always watch your dogs for heat stress. Easiest way to tell if they are getting overheated is to look at their tongue and mouth. The hotter they get the more dark red the tongue and mouth become. Panting will also start to get labored.

Drinking water and resting won’t always get them cooled down quick enough. Get their belly and arm pits wet if you see he symptoms I mention above.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »
I want to say low 80’s. There were several dogs at the hotel we were staying at that were having heat related issues the owners were having to deal with.

Bottom line is always watch your dogs for heat stress. Easiest way to tell if they are getting overheated is to look at their tongue and mouth. The hotter they get the more dark red the tongue and mouth become. Panting will also start to get labored.

Drinking water and resting won’t always get them cooled down quick enough. Get their belly and arm pits wet if you see he symptoms I mention above.

A good primer of what to do (would apply to people too).   Cool them with cool water. 

I can tell when our dog is hot.  He loves water, but always asks for permission (unlike our crazy lab when I was a kid), except when he's hot.   Then he'll go stand in belly deep water and just stand there.   Probably just about the most perfect treatment there is.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2018, 11:54:05 AM »
40 dogs dead  :yike:

It's a big issue for indoor dogs living in constant AC, some of them never even properly blow their coats. 

I just babysat a few indoor Llewellyn's and during the heat of the day they really layed down in the shade while my outdoor britt was still running around near 100 degrees.  I kept a sprinkler going non-stop upwind near their shady area and kept them in good shape heat wise, but I wouldn't run them on a hot opener for sure unless I had open water near and kept the running to short intervals then back into the water.  Also I'd shave them, maybe not the tails or hocks though  :chuckle:

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »
If its hot and not around a water source, I bring along water in my pack and make sure to stop multiple times along the way in the shade for them to cool down along with myself. I have two black labs and they have never had an issue. With that said, I live in Wenatchee where its hot all summer so they are pretty acclimated
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2018, 12:03:40 PM »
40 dogs dead  :yike:

That's beyond a shame.

Offline Backstrap

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 09:00:30 PM »
My cocker spaniel overheated last year. It was a warm day and we hunted mid day. After about an hour, He slowed down, and then stopped, all within a few minutes. I got him in the shade and got some water in him. For about 10 minutes he wouldn’t even stand up. After 20 mins or so he got up and we walked back to the truck.

He’s in very good shape, but he hunts 100% full speed, nonstop. I learned a lesson, and will adjust our hunting plans accordingly.
Step once, look twice...

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »
I was always a little worried that my dog would just run herself into the ground if I let her and it sounds like that's not an uncommon thing to have happen. It's funny that all these incredibly smart dogs are too dumb to know when to stop and take a break. :chuckle:

I had her out the other day late in the evening and sure enough as soon as we got to the river she went and just stood chest deep. :chuckle:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 11:11:36 PM »
It's a grizzly 100%

oops, wrong thread  :-[

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »
It's a grizzly 100%

oops, wrong thread  :-[

:chuckle:

I keep an orange vest for her in my pack for that exact reason.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]