collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mountaineering Packs for Hunting  (Read 10565 times)

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
Re: Mountaineering Packs for Hunting
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 04:17:27 PM »
 :IBCOOL:
Special T:  how well do the load lifters work on that pack? I've always wondered. Arcyteryx makes good packs; just wondering what a "lowest-bid" military contract does to their high-quality product.

JWFaber: I'm in the Jonathan S camp, if you can buy the top end, do it once. Get over the hump. But I remember well all the years when dropping $7-800 on a Kifaru pack just wasn't going to go over well at home.
They don't. Merely a load stabilizer. Ask @ctwiggs 😉😂
And it's 10#s empty

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 04:46:48 PM »
I have an Arc'teryx Bora 80, and an Arc'teryx designed, mil supplier made ILBE pack.  The heavy duty construction is comparable, although you could bet the quality control is probably not the same, on average. 

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 10:47:45 AM »
@jwfaber1 I think you're getting the general consensus: Osprey packs are wonderful except when you've got tons of meat in the back. 

I will only add two things, but I think they're vitally important to the choice:

- It's not always the best plan to buy an item designed for the most extreme possible use (i.e., packing an animal out of the mountains).  If that's your goal, then the EXO might be a better choice. But if you're ok with a pack that will serve you comfortably 95% of the time and leave you uncomfortable 5% of the time, you can save a lot of cash with the Aether.  FWIW, this is where I am right now; I use the Aether 60 since I do a lot of backpacking in addition to hunting, so for me it's more like 98% comfy vs 2% uncomfy. 

- There is almost zero risk in buying the Osprey.  With their warranty, the packs hold their value very well and you can always sell it down the road if you decide you'd rather have a real load hauler. 

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 10:52:17 AM »
Oh, I almost forgot: I would be leery of the "AG" or anti-gravity version of the Aether.  I had an AG Atmos pack that creaked and squeaked like you wouldn't believe -- it's a known problem and Osprey replaced the pack no questions asked - but I sold the new-with-tags replacement Atmos AG in favor of the non-AG Aether 60.   

Just my  :twocents:

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »
Special T:  how well do the load lifters work on that pack? I've always wondered. Arcyteryx makes good packs; just wondering what a "lowest-bid" military contract does to their high-quality product.

JWFaber: I'm in the Jonathan S camp, if you can buy the top end, do it once. Get over the hump. But I remember well all the years when dropping $7-800 on a Kifaru pack just wasn't going to go over well at home.
And it's 10#s empty

The military ruck sack is a perfect option for someone doing day trips for grouse and rabbit.  Beyond that I would struggle to accept it anymore.

I used my ruck sack that I had since I was in the Army for several years.  Good 'nuff for the Army, good 'nuff for me.  I was used to rucking 100lbs and I could hack big game, despite what the nay sayers would tell me. 

I don't remember what initially drove me to buy a new pack.  I'm definitely not in the same shape I was when I was in the military, but I recall also trying to cut weight.  My pack was like 12lbs with nothing in it, and all the nicer packs were about half that.  I think really that was the biggest appeal.

Long story short, when I put my Exo on for the first time and got the straps adjusted, I couldn't believe how well the pack sat on my hips.  Furthermore, I couldn't believe how sore I wasn't after carrying 40-60lbs all day on scouting trips (I would intentionally add weight out of morbid curiosity).  Lastly, those little straps on the that you pull down on the shoulder straps apparently are called "load lifters", and they are supposed to actually do something productive.  If you're using the military packs, you really won't notice.  If you're using a top tier pack, you really will.

I've got many years, and many many many miles under my belt with a military ruck sack.  I could pack that thing for a deployment in my sleep.  That being said, if I was still in the Army... I'd leave it at home and take my Exo without a doubt. 

Curtis

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 11:19:15 AM »
I ran across this when looking to make a sale on my Arcteryx Bora 80.  It has a pretty good section on hip belt and shoulder strap adjustment, applicable to most high-end internal frame packs that have a quality hip belt and thoughtful design.  Pretty much the only thing missing is ensuring the pack is sized to fit your torso and related measurement.

http://backpackingsamurai.com/arcteryx-bora-95-backpack-fitting-guide/

Offline Peewee

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »
Get exo 5500, more room when needed n compresses the same when not needed, it's a no-brainer

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »

And it's 10#s empty

The military ruck sack is a perfect option for someone doing day trips for grouse and rabbit.  Beyond that I would struggle to accept it anymore.

I used my ruck sack that I had since I was in the Army for several years.  Good 'nuff for the Army, good 'nuff for me.  I was used to rucking 100lbs and I could hack big game, despite what the nay sayers would tell me. 

I don't remember what initially drove me to buy a new pack.  I'm definitely not in the same shape I was when I was in the military, but I recall also trying to cut weight.  My pack was like 12lbs with nothing in it, and all the nicer packs were about half that.  I think really that was the biggest appeal.

Long story short, when I put my Exo on for the first time and got the straps adjusted, I couldn't believe how well the pack sat on my hips.  Furthermore, I couldn't believe how sore I wasn't after carrying 40-60lbs all day on scouting trips (I would intentionally add weight out of morbid curiosity).  Lastly, those little straps on the that you pull down on the shoulder straps apparently are called "load lifters", and they are supposed to actually do something productive.  If you're using the military packs, you really won't notice.  If you're using a top tier pack, you really will.

I've got many years, and many many many miles under my belt with a military ruck sack.  I could pack that thing for a deployment in my sleep.  That being said, if I was still in the Army... I'd leave it at home and take my Exo without a doubt. 

Curtis

I curious what specific pack you were using, because Ive used my brothers USMC pack and it fit and worked well. The Army "Ruck sacks" ive encountered wernt built like most internal frame packs. that is why im interested in your statement.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2018, 11:30:06 AM »
I believe that the USMC pack is likely the ILBE pack that I was describing above as the ArcTeryx designed, military contractor produced, unless he has one of the newer versions.  It is equivalent to the ArcTeryx Bora 80 pack I was describing, construction and materials wise.

Rucks have come along way from the ALICE and MOLLE packs, although I cannot obviously speak for Ctwiggs1.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2018, 12:25:12 PM »
I’ve used the USMC pack described above, the MOLLE, and the ALICE.

The ALICE were actually my favorite because they were the lightest.

None of them are very good hunting packs.

They are very good for hauling heavy gear when strapped to a vehicle.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2018, 12:25:57 PM »
Also, if you review my old posts at some point I used to defend these packs quite earnestly  :dunno:

Online Hunter mike

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2018, 10:15:10 AM »
I really wanted the ILBE to work but it's basically a torture device.  Not enough load lift for a 6'1 guy and the belt sucks.  Also no load lift on the MOLLE frames...

The REI XT85 (no longer made) is the best backpacking style pack I've used for hunting and still use it.  I'm going to upgrade soon, but there's really no issues with the REI pack.  I've had it to about 75 lbs without issue and I don't do much more than that anyways.  It was a bargain and works awesome if you could find one.  The first gen was a nice olive green color - I have the second gen in charcoal grey and heard the first gen had some seam issues.  My 2g has been rock solid.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2018, 09:26:07 AM »

They are very good for hauling heavy gear when strapped to a vehicle.
   :chuckle:

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »
You'll regret it once you get an animal down.  Mountaineering packs seldom see more than 60#'s and they're designed with that in mind.  I used one for years, and there's no comparison to my Exo.
I'm not saying I disagree, but I am curious what "mountaineering" pack you, " ran for years"

Offline WAElkhunter89

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 02:34:53 PM »
Anyone used a Mystery Ranch pack? Been watching a lot of Randy Newberg YouTube videos lately and he talks very highly of the Mystery Ranch Metcalf. Was thinking about picking one up for the upcoming elk season.
Ain't nothing better than the adrenaline you get when seeing an animal in the wild.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal