collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kinght Disc Extreme Oon Sale  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Buck86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • No
  • Groups: NRA
Kinght Disc Extreme Oon Sale
« on: September 16, 2018, 03:56:23 PM »
On Knights web sight one heck of a sale for the Knight Disc Extremes rifles right now! I just placed an order for the western with thumbhole stick. I plan on converting it to the bare 209 primer for next season. Looking forward to seeing this new rifle once it arrives.  I probably wont be able to hunt with it this year but that's ok give me a long time to get ready for next year. :tup: :tup:

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
Re: Kinght Disc Extreme Oon Sale
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 04:00:42 PM »
Whoops Should have added the price... 499.99 plus shipping. That is a heck of a deal for that rifle. 

Offline BUTTER

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 08:40:46 PM »
wow i just looked cant believe that price. I currently already have one but that price is ridiculous

Offline Harald

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA life
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 01:36:40 PM »
If you're looking at converting a western disc extreme to 209 primers with weatherproof plastic disks, you'll need the part number M900607 conversion kit for $170.  You can also get a bare primer conversion under part number M900608 for $100. 

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »
When I upgrade, I am going the Bare Primer way not the plastic jacket.  I would like to hear some feed back on the bare primer conversion on the disc if anyone has done that?  I wonder how water proof that is and how easy/difficult it is to prime and de prime?

Good Luck

Buck

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »
When I upgrade, I am going the Bare Primer way not the plastic jacket.  I would like to hear some feed back on the bare primer conversion on the disc if anyone has done that?  I wonder how water proof that is and how easy/difficult it is to prime and de prime?

Good Luck

Buck

I think this might answer your question - I wrote this up the other night on a different forum...

OK.... now remember this is just my opinion...  The FPJ system works and it works well.  It is what Knight says - it totally water proof's your breech. Notice Knight never ever says it is a clean shooting system. The breech will get dirty but the rifle will be water proof and go bang!  But, I really did not like the FPJ system because I did not like pushing the 209 primers out of the jacket and putting new ones in...

The picture in the bottom right shows the red plastic jackets...

This is a pic of the FPJ in the face of the bolt ready to be pushed on to the breech plug.

This pic shows the blow back on the jackets after shooting.

Personally I much prefer the bare prime system (NFPJ), but from the factory it probably will not be totally waterproof and it can also leak back pressure.  But this can all be corrected by installing primer shims in the breech plug.

Follow this link... http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28388

With a 'bare primer' breech you simply take a bare 209 primer insert it into the rails on the face of the open bolt them push the bolt handle forward and down.

If the breech plug has been modified to seal the primer the shot primers will come out looking like this.

mike
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 09:46:03 AM »
Is it just the dirty results of the red jacket system you don't like?  Is there some other problem with it?  As you know, I just bought one.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 12:06:33 PM »
Is it just the dirty results of the red jacket system you don't like?  Is there some other problem with it?  As you know, I just bought one.

Basically - yes the dirt... but you are also losing some barrel pressure out the back of the bore.  The FPJ expands on the nipple as the pressure builds and does then loose a small amount gas out the rear.

Offline reelamin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 12:28:28 PM »
Sabotloader is the guy who knows for sure.  My limited experience with the red jackets is....I'M GETTING AWAY FROM THEM ASAP!!  I have been using them with my bighorn.  The only real positive for me is how well they seal.  Pushing primers in and out is not hard just another step.   What I dont like about them is they expand easily and repeated use is limited.   

In my rifle with anything over 100gr loads 80% of the jackets no longer fit.  That is an added cost not needed with many other rifles. Not just a little looser but fall off with gravity.  Also in order to get fully on the nipple I have to use the plastic tool or my rifle has ignition problems.  One more step in the loading process...fine at the range...not fine in the field.   I will be getting a second muzzle loader (upgrade) and it will have just a bare primer ignition system. 

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 08:08:20 PM »
I have used the red plastic jackets on my bighorn.  I will not use those on my new Disc.  Thanks Sabotloader for the info.  You are a wealth of knowledge, even if it is your opinion.  I honestly am not completely sold on the 209 system. I personally and currently am still using #11 caps and I have not yet had my muzz not go off unless I messed up during a quick cleaning processes, or something stupid along those lines. So for me I am torn between if upgrading to the bare 209 system on the disc is worth it?  I am not sure that I gain much verses just staying with the #11 western ignition.  I now I can keep that water proof without very much difficulty.

Good Luck
Buck

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 08:16:17 PM »
I have used the red plastic jackets on my bighorn.  I will not use those on my new Disc.  Thanks Sabotloader for the info.  You are a wealth of knowledge, even if it is your opinion.  I honestly am not completely sold on the 209 system. I personally and currently am still using #11 caps and I have not yet had my muzz not go off unless I messed up during a quick cleaning processes, or something stupid along those lines. So for me I am torn between if upgrading to the bare 209 system on the disc is worth it?  I am not sure that I gain much verses just staying with the #11 western ignition.  I now I can keep that water proof without very much difficulty.

Good Luck
Buck

I know exactly what you mean.... the biggest reason I like 209 ignition is with a bare primer I can make the breech area CLEAN - just like a centerfire.  And I can get slight jump on performance if I switch powder to BH 209 and shoot projectile with a weight of 260 or greater.  And then you only get 100 to 150fps at the muzzle.  So again it really isn't that big of a deal...

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 08:28:48 PM »
I guess I should also add that I use and plan on sticking with Tripple 7 and not upgrading if you want to call it that to blackhorn 209.  Maybe if I could use optics then I would really give that a hard consideration.  I currently shoot 290 to 300 grn bullets designed for elk.  Would the 209 primer give that much gain in triple 7 in velocity?  At 100 to 150 yards a 100 to 150fps faster probably doesn't make that much difference? But every little bit helps. 

Thanks Buck

By the way this is still a very good deal on a new Knight Disc rifle. 

Offline reelamin

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 01:24:05 PM »
I switched from #11 mag caps to 209.  My bighorn chronographs the exact same regardless of ignition.  The difference in average is with 30fps and depending on bullet weight/Sabot one powder may generate more or less.  Overall 209 generates slightly more than T7...in my rifle and my buddies Traditions.

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 07:11:04 PM »
Good to know Reelamin;  After I posted that and logged off last night I realized the 100 to 150 fps diff Sabotlaoder referenced  would be using the blackhorn 209 powder. 
Good Luck Buck.

Offline reelamin

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 10:46:45 AM »
Well I called to pull the trigger on this "deal".   For me it was not much of a deal but it would be cheaper in the big picture if I was fully committed to this rifle.  I could not get the bare primer rifle for $499...needed a conversion kit for $100 and shipping of $35.  $500 I could do now....$635 makes me pause for a while.....still leaning towards the CVA Accura for now.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]