collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Totally New To Waterfowl Tips for Scouting Locations.  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Totally New To Waterfowl Tips for Scouting Locations.
« on: September 27, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »
Hi All, I'm totally new to waterfowl and am very interested in it. I've already done some forum searches on here for general tips. I can do all of my own research on decoys, laws/rules, gear and how to get dead ducks without a dog(a fishing pole seems like an interesting technique I've seen) and all that.

What I am curious about is how do you all go about scouting for locations via google earth and on foot? I know water of course is a very important component but what else do you look for? Is it better to find some areas on google earth and to scout them super early to see if ducks enjoy those locations or can you scout them at any time to see if ducks are there? I want to try and find small ponds or locations that are a bit more remote to get away from the crowd and if possible knock down a few ducks would be nice. I'm in Vancouver and have been thinking about planning to duck hunting next year so I can take the proper time to scout, learn the laws and get all the gear. Any tips would be great!

Offline CedarPants

• Sourdough
Re: Totally New To Waterfowl Tips for Scouting Locations.
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 11:33:31 AM »
Google Earth is a good tool.  You may also want to get the onX app.  Fairly inexpensive for a yearly subscription and it will show property lines and ownership details.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 11:42:48 AM »
Google Earth is a good tool.  You may also want to get the onX app.  Fairly inexpensive for a yearly subscription and it will show property lines and ownership details.

I love Onxmap! it's my favorite tool for scouting for sure, good call on that!

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 12:30:36 PM »
Small chunks of public land ground thats tough to access and near ag fields is a good place to start or the rivers can be awesome when things freeze up.  Duck hunting can be hit and miss though depending on whether and pressure even if your in the best spot.

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 01:08:02 PM »
Small chunks of public land ground thats tough to access and near ag fields is a good place to start or the rivers can be awesome when things freeze up.  Duck hunting can be hit and miss though depending on whether and pressure even if your in the best spot.

Based on your profile photo I'm guessing you have some experience. Thats a great looking dog you got there!  :chuckle:

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 01:20:48 PM »
Just curious, how much does the size of the pond or marsh matter?

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 01:51:22 PM »
Contrary to what some might say, size does not matter.... :chuckle: If birds are using it you can successfully hunt it. One problem is visibility. If birds are using the area but not the small pond you want to hunt, it may be a challenge to get them to come over to you. Especially if you are competing against a bigger body of water that has real ducks stacking up on it.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline HaydenHunter

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2018, 06:58:17 AM »
You're gonna burn some gas and / or wear out some boot leather hiking in to scout, but that's the only way to do it.  I retired last year and my last hunting season's success showed the effect of having scouted more than ever.  I do like google earth as a method to put you in the right neighborhood.

Welcome to waterfowling and I hope you get into some birds this year.

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2018, 08:07:35 AM »
1st year , just learn, hopefully youll fall into some good hunts, look on wdfw for land you can hunt in your area, trial and tribulations...... i moved to the Eastside 8yrs ago, and this is what i did, eventually met a few farmers/hunters and got tips from them, and some access. Good luck and enjoy. Also get an open cc, because it gets addictive and expensive. :tup:
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »
Visit the sites before you hunt them, as in right now. walking something during the daylight first then comming back with a head lap is way different than going out  in the dark the first time. 2c I have taken many a summer stroll with the dog on WDFW land to figure out the lay of the land.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Cab

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys, really appreciate it! I'm a big believer in the idea of the more you scout the better! If I can tie some duck hunting scouting into deer hunting this year I'm going to. I want to take the time to seriously do my homework before going out the first time trying a new kind of hunting. I like knowing where I'm going, where/how I'm going to set up, how I'm going to call, how I'm going to retrieve them and even more what is my back up plan for when someone takes my spot. I just really like feeling dialed in before going out there knowing that I'm going to be excited and nervous the first time especially. When your nervous and excited like that and things don't go as planned it leads to panic and making dumb decisions. I'm most excited about eating these ducks as I've had some duck breast a buddy shot and my god they are good.

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 10:02:20 AM »

Based on your profile photo I'm guessing you have some experience. Thats a great looking dog you got there!  :chuckle:

Thats Murphy, hes 7 now but he was just 18 months back then. Hes turned into a great dog, his sister not so much as far as a gun dog goes lol.  I dont think size matters to be honest when it comes to pond or pot hole as long as they will feel comfortable - especially if you've seen birds in there.  Cant stress enough how important it is to be well concealed and still when they are setting in no matter where your hunting when it comes to waterfowl.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 11:11:35 AM »
First, please don't rely on the fishing pole method. I don't believe it's a good way to retrieve ducks. It's great if all of your ducks fall 30 yards from you. What's the plan when they sail or when they are crippled? Just something to think about.

I've never hunted around Vancouver but the Columbia river holds a lot of birds throughout the state so that's where I would start. Since you're not planning on hunting this year anyways, I would just drive along the Columbia and watch other groups. What are they doing? How are they set up? What makes that place better than 50 yards down the shore? I know the Columbia is probably bigger than you're hoping to hunt but back sloughs are very similar to ponds so it might be worth a shot checking them out. Right now is a great time to go see where birds are. They haven't been pushed around by hunters yet so they are where they naturally want to be.

Good luck with this year and next and have fun it's a great sport!

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 05:47:30 PM »
Why not make a little trip and talk to these guys....

https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regions/region5/

Also, click on the "Wildlife Areas" and consider joining WA Waterfowl's local chapter.
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 06:17:53 PM »
I would recommend going with a guide a time or 2 if you can afford it. A good guide could teach you more in a morning then you could learn all season on your own. I was self taught, and man it was frustrating and slow for the first few seasons.
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal