collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Thoughts on .308 ?  (Read 13438 times)

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Thoughts on .308 ?
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »
It's to the short action what the 30-06 is to the long action, a general duty work horse. The necked down versions do better at longer ranges and the necked up versions do better at closer ranges, but the 308 does good at being the jack of all trades. There's nothing you can hunt in this state that a 308 can't handle.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2018, 10:01:12 AM »
All them army snipers over the years did well with the 308 ;).

The Marines used it in the model 70 Winchester. Hathcock's weapon of choice in Vietnam.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »
I like the .308 so that makes it the best and anyone who doesn't shoot one like I do is a dummy!  :chuckle:

In all seriousness I've never had any complaints with mine, feel confident with it killing any game in North America and don't see myself upgrading it anytime, but I'm also a sentimental guy. It's available and it kills stuff, pretty much like all other properly set up calibers.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2018, 10:11:44 AM »
My youngest daughter shot a deer with mine at 30 yards, it didn’t now what hit it 👍. I carry it when I get tired of packing a heavier rifle.😉

I really like it on coyotes, it’s a dirt nap machine. 😵
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2018, 10:16:04 AM »
Better in what way? If one were to hunt to a max of 300 yards, realistically under 200 yards in the wet side, I don't think there is "better." There's different. There's bigger, faster, more recoil, more impressive on paper, but animals aren't impressed by paper stats.

The bullet itself is far more important than the cartridge. Choose the right bullet for your hunting and fill your freezer.

For me, the 308 is on the low end of the scale in just about ever category.  Yes, I'll take the bigger, faster, more recoil, and more impressive on paper cartridge every time if given the choice, but that's just me.

As for choosing the right bullet, now there is a topic with endless debate.  I'm of the believe, shot placement, trumps bullet choice.

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2018, 10:22:40 AM »
The 308 is like a crew cab half ton pickup. An F-150 is a capable daily driver, will get a small family around anywhere they need to go, capable of towing and hauling enough weight to cover most people's uses, and can get to most locations without much trouble. If you can only have one vehicle, it's not a bad choice. If I have a long commute every day though I'd take something with better fuel economy or a smoother ride. If I need more than 4 seats for a couple of adults though, I'd look at something else. If I'm hauling heavy loads on a regular basis, it wouldn't be my first choice. If I live in the city with tight streets or spend a lot of time on some remote logging roads, I'd want a smaller vehicle.

The 308 is a capable all round caliber. It will work for all round mid range target shooting (under 1000 yards), has manageable recoil that almost anyone can learn to handle, it will certainly work on large animals over 500 lbs, and it fits into a variety of rifle platforms to suit just about anybody's tastes. The 308 represents a very small portion of the rifles in competition outside of the restricted classes, a 7# 308 has enough recoil that many find it uncomfortable to shoot (that's why the 6.5s and 6mm options are often suggested for youth and female shooters), I doubt anyone has built their ideal elk rifle and thought the 308 was the best possible option. As far as fitting into many different styles of rifles, I'll give the 308 credit where credit is due. You can have just about any style of action you'd like chambered in 308.

The 308 isn't a bad round, it's just boring and utilitarian; like a half ton truck.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2018, 10:22:59 AM »
All them army snipers over the years did well with the 308 ;).

The Marines used it in the model 70 Winchester. Hathcock's weapon of choice in Vietnam.

Not trying to drag this conversation into the weeds, but wasn't Hathcock's weapon of his choice the Win model 70 in 30-06 and it wasn't until the wide use of the 308, which made 30-06 ammo availability a concern, that he switched over to the 308?  I'm certainly no Carlos Hathcock aficionado so that may not be the deal but I'm pretty sure his first choice was the Model 70 30-06.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2018, 10:42:47 AM »
You are correct, although he also used the M-2 .50 cal.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2018, 11:09:57 AM »
The 308 is like a crew cab half ton pickup. An F-150 is a capable daily driver, will get a small family around anywhere they need to go, capable of towing and hauling enough weight to cover most people's uses, and can get to most locations without much trouble. If you can only have one vehicle, it's not a bad choice. If I have a long commute every day though I'd take something with better fuel economy or a smoother ride. If I need more than 4 seats for a couple of adults though, I'd look at something else. If I'm hauling heavy loads on a regular basis, it wouldn't be my first choice. If I live in the city with tight streets or spend a lot of time on some remote logging roads, I'd want a smaller vehicle.

The 308 is a capable all round caliber. It will work for all round mid range target shooting (under 1000 yards), has manageable recoil that almost anyone can learn to handle, it will certainly work on large animals over 500 lbs, and it fits into a variety of rifle platforms to suit just about anybody's tastes. The 308 represents a very small portion of the rifles in competition outside of the restricted classes, a 7# 308 has enough recoil that many find it uncomfortable to shoot (that's why the 6.5s and 6mm options are often suggested for youth and female shooters), I doubt anyone has built their ideal elk rifle and thought the 308 was the best possible option. As far as fitting into many different styles of rifles, I'll give the 308 credit where credit is due. You can have just about any style of action you'd like chambered in 308.

The 308 isn't a bad round, it's just boring and utilitarian; like a half ton truck.

Yorke-
Do you drive a lifted diesel F-350 with 40" tires and those big spike lug nuts?

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2018, 11:32:33 AM »

Yorke-
Ughhh.... only 40s? I’d be so disappointed if that’s the case...  :dunno: should be at least 44s and 28 inch rims.  Plus don’t forget about the smoke stacks.  :chuckle:
And some lights inside the fenders to light up the tires too.

Besides, my “non308” can beat up your 308 any time any place.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2018, 11:35:05 AM »

Hey now, I drive a crew cab f150, and that was hurtful!
I'm guessing the 30-06 and the box of Core-Lokt in the back seat don't make me any less boring and utilitarian either?   :'(
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2018, 11:48:14 AM »

Hey now, I drive a crew cab f150, and that was hurtful!
I'm guessing the 30-06 and the box of Core-Lokt in the back seat don't make me any less boring and utilitarian either?   :'(
my crewcab f150 has a sunroof so it takes me out of the 308 class!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2018, 11:48:34 AM »
Yorke-

Was that the one with the 6.5 Creedmoor in the felt padded gunrack    ?

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2018, 11:51:22 AM »
Your .308 is all the gun you need,it'll do the job on anything your hunting.  Have fun with it

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2018, 12:11:08 PM »
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM