collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best Raingear?  (Read 7249 times)

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Best Raingear?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 10:31:07 AM »
Check out Watershed brand of rain gear. Made in the USA and used mostly by loggers and forest workers. Good quality and reasonably priced. I like Helly Hansen too, but it's not as durable.

Offline npaull

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 10:31:50 AM »
If you’re just day hunting, good wool really is almost impossible to beat. I hunt Westside in very heavy rain all day just wearing one of these and wool pants. Very comfortable all day long, and silent. Get home, put it in the dryer, good to go.

https://asbellwool.com/t/pathfinder

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »
The mountaineering companies have been doing this stuff for a LOT longer than these hunting brands have and they dont rape your wallet just because they can like kuiu, sitka, firstlite, etc do.  We like to think we are the only folks out in the wild expending energy but it's far from the truth.  For what you could save by going with a non hunting brand you could literally buy an out-of-state tag or make a donation to a conservation group for hundreds of dollars.  All the pro hunting brands are Outsourcing their work to China, Philippines, Etc so it's not like you're buying an American-made product so there's no reason to pay three or four times the price. It's time for these hunting companies to stop raping their own :twocents:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:01:37 PM by Karl Blanchard »
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2018, 11:16:01 AM »
 :yeah: could not be said better.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Tundra

• Tracker
  • Groups: Lifetime Member NRA& B&C, SCI, DU, WWA, MDF, NAVHDA, 2AF
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2018, 12:15:44 PM »
The mountaineering companies have been doing this stuff for a LOT longer than these hunting brands have and they dont rape your wallet just because they can like kuiu, sitka, firstlite, etc do.  We like to think we are the only folks out in the wild expending energy but it's far from the truth.  For what you could save by going with a non hunting brand you could literally buy an out-of-state tag or make a donation to a conservation group for hundreds of dollars.  All the pro hunting brands are Outsourcing their work to China, Philippines, Etc so it's not like you're buying an American-made product so there's no reason to pay three or four times the price. It's time for these hunting companies to stop raping their own :twocents:
What mountaineering company's rain gear are you using?  I'd be curious to see the fabric and price differences between the mountaineering option and the hunting company offerings. 

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
Take your pick of all the top end brands.  I freaking hate rain gear with a passion so wont begin to act like a professional on the materials and "numbers" I just know on all fronts from pants, shirts, coats, socks, etc., there are equal or better options for a quarter of the price. 

Marketing is a crazy thing.  I'd be willing to bet that a large chunk of guys running hunting brand x never even considered anything other than the big three. 
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »
I like my carhart storm defender gear. It’s a little noisy but very tough and works very well. Sit or kneel in a puddle if you had to. No biggy
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Tundra

• Tracker
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
Take your pick of all the top end brands.  I freaking hate rain gear with a passion so wont begin to act like a professional on the materials and "numbers" I just know on all fronts from pants, shirts, coats, socks, etc., there are equal or better options for a quarter of the price. 

Marketing is a crazy thing.  I'd be willing to bet that a large chunk of guys running hunting brand x never even considered anything other than the big three.
I have no interest in arguing with you, I am just seeking to understand your position, so please don't take my questions wrong.  I am curious about gear, and people's take on it, and always looking to learn.

Why do you hate rain gear? 

As for the other gear.. 
My favorite hunting pants have knee pads, awesome cargo pockets, are extremely durable, and breathe well. I won't say what brand they are, other than that they are a hunting company.  If you can point me to some non-hunting brand options for cheaper, I'd would appreciate knowing what they are.  I have looked, but end up finding combat focused brands that are over engineered and over priced.   If one does not want, or appreciate knee pads, I concur.  Lots of options out there at a variety of prices.

I think we are aligned pretty much on socks and base layers as there are tons of options from all kinds of brands, at many price & quality points. 

Shirts and Jackets.  For me it is more about how they are designed. Where the pockets are located, the durability of the fabrics, etc. Some of this stuff, when designed with a hunting focus, stands out, at least to me. 

Another point I think on when looking at gear, is that when one operates out of a base camp, there are many more gear options available, and the consequences from gear failure are low.  Its when we start going remote and living out of our backpack that things get critical, and selection starts to really matter.  IMHO

I do think the statement about company's raping can be said about any industry...(climbing, skiing, hiking, cellphones, trucks, guns etc).  Capitalism is what it is... Good thing is we have lots of choices.  Cabela's, Wal-Mart, Sportsman Guide, etc.

I appreciate the debate and hope we tease out a few things by talking through this.  I like to hear about, and understand, what other's use  and why.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2018, 01:07:37 PM »

I have no interest in arguing with you, I am just seeking to understand your position, so please don't take my questions wrong.  I am curious about gear, and people's take on it, and always looking to learn.

Why do you hate rain gear? 

As for the other gear.. 
My favorite hunting pants have knee pads, awesome cargo pockets, are extremely durable, and breathe well. I won't say what brand they are, other than that they are a hunting company.  If you can point me to some non-hunting brand options for cheaper, I'd would appreciate knowing what they are.  I have looked, but end up finding combat focused brands that are over engineered and over priced.   If one does not want, or appreciate knee pads, I concur.  Lots of options out there at a variety of prices.

I think we are aligned pretty much on socks and base layers as there are tons of options from all kinds of brands, at many price & quality points. 

Shirts and Jackets.  For me it is more about how they are designed. Where the pockets are located, the durability of the fabrics, etc. Some of this stuff, when designed with a hunting focus, stands out, at least to me. 

Another point I think on when looking at gear, is that when one operates out of a base camp, there are many more gear options available, and the consequences from gear failure are low.  Its when we start going remote and living out of our backpack that things get critical, and selection starts to really matter.  IMHO

I do think the statement about company's raping can be said about any industry...(climbing, skiing, hiking, cellphones, trucks, guns etc).  Capitalism is what it is... Good thing is we have lots of choices.  Cabela's, Wal-Mart, Sportsman Guide, etc.

I appreciate the debate and hope we tease out a few things by talking through this.  I like to hear about, and understand, what other's use  and why.
Karl is afraid of rain that’s why he hates rain gear. I think he melts.

I really like outdoor research gear for alternates to the hunting companies.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
Oh I'm not arguing at all.  I promise you I do not care what everyone else uses or wears.  It affects me not a single bit. 

My hunting is almost 100% backpack hunting so I fully understand that not all gear fits certain uses.

I'd have to disagree fully on clothing being "made" for hunting standing above the rest.  Athletic cuts are nothing new. 

I hate rain gear because I hardly ever have to break it out in eastern wa, ID, MT, CO, WY, or NV.  So it's basically dead weight in my pack.  I despise carrying "just in case" items, but we all know what happens if you dont  :chuckle:
Currently use H/H.  Kodiak mountain goat hunt in February will surely test their waterproofness and durability.

Is waterproofness a word? :chuckle:

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
I do melt as a matter of fact :yike:

Offline Tundra

• Tracker
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2018, 01:21:38 PM »
Oh I'm not arguing at all.  I promise you I do not care what everyone else uses or wears.  It affects me not a single bit. 

My hunting is almost 100% backpack hunting so I fully understand that not all gear fits certain uses.

I'd have to disagree fully on clothing being "made" for hunting standing above the rest.  Athletic cuts are nothing new. 

I hate rain gear because I hardly ever have to break it out in eastern wa, ID, MT, CO, WY, or NV.  So it's basically dead weight in my pack.  I despise carrying "just in case" items, but we all know what happens if you dont  :chuckle:
Currently use H/H.  Kodiak mountain goat hunt in February will surely test their waterproofness and durability.

Got ya.  Just in case items can be a PITA to pack along...   

I am not referring to fit when I say being made for hunting.  I am talking about convenience.  Why a pocket is where it is, how it used, etc.  Some hunting gear really stands out to me vs a non hunting alternative.  Sometimes it is worth a few bucks extra, sometimes it is not. 

I lived in AK and was blessed to hunt all over the state, Kodiak will certainly test your gear!   What pants are you taking for that hunt?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:27:42 PM by Tundra »

Offline Lightning_Rider

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2018, 01:36:08 PM »
I usually chime in on these conversations... as a lifelong westside hunter ive tried all of the cabelas dry plus, the gor tex, the riverswest, grundens, and have to say that the kuiu yukon has been my favorite so far. Ive got 4 seasons with them and they have held up. I also believe there is a ridiculous mark up but im happy with them.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 01:43:02 PM »

I am not referring to fit when I say being made for hunting.  I am talking about convenience.  Why a pocket is where it is, how it used, etc.  Some hunting gear really stands out to me vs a non hunting alternative.  Sometimes it is worth a few bucks extra, sometimes it is not. 

I lived in AK and was blessed to hunt all over the state, Kodiak will certainly test your gear!   What pants are you taking for that hunt?
I am currently undecided right now.  I'll be taking multiple options up there and then will probably base my decision on current weather.  It could be 50 and sunny or we could be post holing it the whole week.  Probably FL corrugate's, OR soft shells, or good ol faithful prana zions.

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2018, 01:52:04 PM »

I am currently undecided right now.  I'll be taking multiple options up there and then will probably base my decision on current weather.  It could be 50 and sunny or we could be post holing it the whole week.  Probably FL corrugate's, OR soft shells, or good ol faithful prana zions.
I'd be surprised if you saw a week of 50 and sunny in February but you can always hope.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]