collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Why did I get into this  (Read 7154 times)

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Why did I get into this
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »
Lon Lauber's book "Bowhunter's Guide to Accurate Shooting" helped me immensely. You can get it on Amazon.

Stick with it. Archery is very challenging, but not impossible!

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 01:48:54 PM »
Not being a wise guy here, but have you considered a traditional bow? One string, a bow needing minimal adjustments (nock height, brace height, easy to match arrows, no sights - just hand / eye coordination and muscle memory) Ah, simplicity. If you are serious about keeping your lethal range 20 yards and closer your instincts will get you there very quickly. They work.... people have been feeding their families and discouraging enemies with stickbows roughly  5000 years before compounds were invented. And this is the most natural way to get kids involved too.

I haven't but I may be soon. I am so discouraged with compound bows and bowhunting in general. I've been straight up told not to even bother trying, and that I am looking at a decade before I get a shot at an animal. I got into this sport with the idea of putting my own meat on the table, for moral reasons, but at this point I feel like I might as well just light my money on fire and continue buying farmed me at the store.
That's total B.S. if someone is telling you it will be a decade before you get a shot...i'm sitting on my couch laughing out loud wondering why someone would tell you that and why someone would believe it.  C'mon man...Talk with the guys at Lucky Shot in Centraiia.  Come on out next Saturday and we'll go down there.  While you're out here you can shoot my bow. 
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 02:01:26 PM »
Not being a wise guy here, but have you considered a traditional bow? One string, a bow needing minimal adjustments (nock height, brace height, easy to match arrows, no sights - just hand / eye coordination and muscle memory) Ah, simplicity. If you are serious about keeping your lethal range 20 yards and closer your instincts will get you there very quickly. They work.... people have been feeding their families and discouraging enemies with stickbows roughly  5000 years before compounds were invented. And this is the most natural way to get kids involved too.

I haven't but I may be soon. I am so discouraged with compound bows and bowhunting in general. I've been straight up told not to even bother trying, and that I am looking at a decade before I get a shot at an animal. I got into this sport with the idea of putting my own meat on the table, for moral reasons, but at this point I feel like I might as well just light my money on fire and continue buying farmed me at the store.
That's total B.S. if someone is telling you it will be a decade before you get a shot...i'm sitting on my couch laughing out loud wondering why someone would tell you that and why someone would believe it.  C'mon man...Talk with the guys at Lucky Shot in Centraiia.  Come on out next Saturday and we'll go down there.  While you're out here you can shoot my bow.

Why someone would tell me that: I live in Western WA and I am hunting blacktails. I assume it's because 1.) I am new with nobody who knows what they're doing to help me out and 2.) blacktails are ghosts.
As for why I'd believe it: I have no reason not to, rifle season around here is a joke and bowhunting...well, exhibit A.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 09:14:24 AM »
Brew's offer is generous and you should take him up on it. At least acknowledge it.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2018, 09:19:10 AM »
Brew's offer is generous and you should take him up on it. At least acknowledge it.  :dunno:

You're right, of course. Apologies, and thank you Brew. I ended up spending my day out shopping for and assembling parts of an archery backstop. I'll post pictures later today. I'd very much love a visit to Centralia if for no other reason than to hear some wise words. I don't know if I can make Saturday work (newborn baby and two other sons, gotta check in with the missus) but I'll reply via IM.

Offline Bobvernon2

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2018, 09:20:22 AM »

Why someone would tell me that: I live in Western WA and I am hunting blacktails. I assume it's because 1.) I am new with nobody who knows what they're doing to help me out and 2.) blacktails are ghosts.
As for why I'd believe it: I have no reason not to, rifle season around here is a joke and bowhunting...well, exhibit A.

BS you can and will get opportunity on a blacktail. Do your scouting either by boot or game cameras at 2 week intervals. I passed on two during early season and rattled in a few during late but wasn't paying full attention. Believe me it will happen. As for the bow it takes time but when it comes together it's freaking gorgeous. Last word of advice I took to heart this year is KILL KILL KILL. it's all about mentality. When your minds in the kill zone 24/7 you will get a shot.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »

BS you can and will get opportunity on a blacktail. Do your scouting either by boot or game cameras at 2 week intervals. I passed on two during early season and rattled in a few during late but wasn't paying full attention. Believe me it will happen. As for the bow it takes time but when it comes together it's freaking gorgeous. Last word of advice I took to heart this year is KILL KILL KILL. it's all about mentality. When your minds in the kill zone 24/7 you will get a shot.

Well that sounds great! I have been led to believe by about half a dozen people and more than one book that in WA for blacktail I am looking at around 7 years time investment. I had game cams full of animals all year round and as soon as hunting season opened they all vanished. Trying to figure out what to do with that information. So many hours of scouting and so many miles wasted.
I think my main problem was I started hoping for success. I need to redefine success and just enjoy my time in the woods and forget about seeing animals. I love being in the woods I just started getting hopeful and that's where I went wrong.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2018, 09:54:30 AM »

Well that sounds great! I have been led to believe by about half a dozen people and more than one book that in WA for blacktail I am looking at around 7 years time investment. I had game cams full of animals all year round and as soon as hunting season opened they all vanished. Trying to figure out what to do with that information. So many hours of scouting and so many miles wasted.
I think my main problem was I started hoping for success. I need to redefine success and just enjoy my time in the woods and forget about seeing animals. I love being in the woods I just started getting hopeful and that's where I went wrong.
Doesn't sound like time or miles wasted.If you already been getting them on camera.
Hang in there
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2018, 12:47:19 PM »

You're right, of course. Apologies, and thank you Brew. I ended up spending my day out shopping for and assembling parts of an archery backstop. I'll post pictures later today. I'd very much love a visit to Centralia if for no other reason than to hear some wise words. I don't know if I can make Saturday work (newborn baby and two other sons, gotta check in with the missus) but I'll reply via IM.
:tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2018, 02:33:48 PM »
just an FYI that we have been e-mailing back and forth as well as a phone call.  I know its hard just starting out hunting and trying to get it done with a bow with no experience or guidance.  I'm just trying to help him get his bow tuned and take him out to give him some pointers on deer hunting.  Not saying that i am the best person around to do this but I feel that i have enough experience to get him started in the right direction.  Just trying to help a fellow hunter so maybe some day he can pass it down to the next generation
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2018, 03:27:20 PM »
You got in to it because it’s awesome and frustrating all at the same time. I shot my WA elk on day 7 and my deer on day 17 this year. I blew more stalks on deer this year than the previous three years combined. I wanted a rifle so bad and swore off archery hunting...until I shot my deer. I have shot my bow every day since and while I own and still hunt with a rifle and a muzzleloader at times, there is nothing like the challenge of using a recurve or compound on mulies. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline kyle dillehay

• Tracker
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2018, 03:32:54 PM »
Have you read the thread from Radsav about the little things at the top of the page?  Great tips there, I studied his post and soon I was "Robin Hooding" my arrows from 20-30 yards.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal