collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hirshey's Hunts 2018  (Read 38233 times)

Offline DeArBuCK4me

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: DeArbuCk4me
Re: Hirshey's Hunts 2018
« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2018, 08:55:50 AM »
Reading the story here is way better than reading hunting stories from expensive magazines subscriptions. Thank you for sharing your amazing adventures ---very inspirational.  cant wait for next season!!!!

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2018, 08:49:36 PM »
Great account (as always )Hirshey.  Congrats on another great season.   :tup:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Jburke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2018, 06:25:50 PM »
I think this is the thread that I look forward to most each year.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2018, 06:54:44 PM »
Thanks for sharing Kari. Always a pleasure reading about your endeavors!
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2018, 06:32:23 PM »
Come on now... we're all waiting for the Idaho hunt details! I read a lot of hunts and I do comment from time to time but nothing beats reading your hunting stories!

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2019, 12:02:45 PM »
Hey all, sorry it’s taken so long... this winter season has really gotten away from me! My few days of off time had been reserved for family, sausage making, and razor clams. As long as the internet connection works tonight, I’ll bust through all that was Idaho this season :) . Thanks for your patience and for following along!
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2019, 03:34:08 PM »
 :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Yelper Guy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2019, 03:48:53 PM »
Excellent, I was starting to go thru Hirshey story withdrawl!

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2019, 09:27:22 PM »
Bah!  :bash: what a long day! But where were we?

Ok, Idaho...
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2019, 09:36:46 PM »
Idaho was somewhat a word said in disdain to our hunting party; as many know, the regulations changed in our normal haunt and the end result was we were prohibited from hunting deer there this season. Derrick and I had a long and honest discussion about our options, and we decided if we were barred from hunting our normal area that we would simply not hunt in Idaho this season; we had savings enough for a single vacation, so it was either Idaho or a trip someplace to renew and reconstruct the bond between us strained by busy fire seasons and absence. Plus, aside from snowy hot springs, I have not gone on a vacation in my adult life where it was appropriate to pack a swimsuit... so we were considering the possibility of ending that drought.  :chuckle:

The most difficult part of that decision was breaking the news to the other most steadfast member of Team Awesome: Jeff.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2019, 09:39:32 PM »
Awe yes swimsuit hunting, nothing better.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2019, 09:58:37 PM »
As expected, he did not take it well. I'm certain in a 5 minute period Jeff experienced all stages of grief.  :chuckle:

But he wasn't finished: a few days later, he circled back around to the bargaining stage. Jeff really wanted to make an Idaho trip of some kind happen, and he desired most to have a slight bit of retribution from last year's season and ensure the plan included his friend Michael from Louisiana. As you may or may not recall, there was an issue with Michael's ability to obtain an elk tag after he flew to Boise, so he caught a ride back to Louisiana the next day and did not join us. Jeff was steadfast on the notion that Michael had to experience Idaho at least once, and even more certain that a true Idaho experience included both Derrick and myself. I assured Jeff that he could use all of my equipment and that they would have a great time without us, but Jeff was unwavering in his effort to include us in this next great exploration. After many negotiations, "no's", explanations, and bouts of silence that evolved over weeks at a time, Jeff used a weapon he hadn't yet deployed: his friend Michael.

Michael contacted me and explained (with a Louisiana accent and much more charm than Jeff  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:) the same messages Jeff had been communicating over the last month:
-it won't be the same without you, you are PART of the Idaho experience
-it was likely the only year he could come due to having a young family and the most ideal timing forecasted into future years
-what would they have to do to get a "yes"

In the end, the conversation really changed the course of our season, as we finally consented to go.... and as an incredibly generous welcoming present to Team Awesome 2018, Jeff bought me my first out of state elk tag... WOW. I was speechless for so many reasons: the generosity of my friend, the small guilt for feeling this was the product of us initially saying "no", the fret over making sure MY elk tag was last priority in all of the hunting to be done, excitement to have my first ever branch antler bull tag, and so much more. Ok, Idaho was happening.

So with a few months to go, these were the players:

Jeff: deer, cougar, wolf and elk tag
Me: elk tag, wolf tag
Derrick: wolf tag
Michael: small game license, and tons of large coolers in tow with high hopes of taking loads of shared elk meat back to Louisiana

I could only hope we would not disappoint.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2019, 10:10:14 PM »
It almost seemed as if nothing had changed from years prior as Jeff, Derrick and I loaded our hunting home and equipment into the truck for the trek east. The plan had developed wonderfully and with the fairly quick success of Washington's deer season, we were on the road in no time at all. There was a fairly particular itinerary for this hunt: we had three days to hammer down and hunt for Jeff's Idaho deer, three days of scouting/hunting elk for me, and then Michael would be able to fly up from Louisiana to join us to finish off the hunt for Jeff's elk. We knew it was a lot to ask in a short period of time (especially when you threw in the challenges and time expenditure of exploring new areas) but we were going to throw those packs on our back, welcome the rhythm of trekking poles and shuffling boots, and get after it! 

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2019, 10:28:09 PM »
The concept of our hunt remained the same:

Set up base camp in my Kifaru 12 man tipi, cut/cache firewood, filter water to fill 5 gallon jug and personal bottles, erect gear tent, grab meals from the food bin to last 4-5 days and hit the trail with spike camp on our backs.

At this point, we are a well-oiled machine; the tasks were completed at lightning pace, and soon we were enjoying the sounds of meandering waters and our own footsteps down the trail. We kept each other's company for the first 2-3 miles before the boys started developing some steam and pulling away. I didn't mind; I knew our tentative destination for the evening, had my rifle, and actually truly enjoy the solace that comes from solitude in the wilds. It wasn't long until I caught back up, however, because they had encountered some other hunters, and were talking over their successes and challenges. The message ended up being quite resounding as we encountered two other hunting parties further into the canyon: deer were scarce, it was dangerously hot for meat, and hunters nervous of going home empty-handed had filled their tags with spikes and other young bucks. We took this news in stride and continued on our trek, and when I encountered my hunting comrades the final time, Jeff had started to set up spike camp and Derrick had started back for me, impressed that he had only walked 50 yards out of camp before we met up. We talked about a plan for the morning; if the deer weren't in their autumn homes yet, we would have to pay them a visit at their summer residences. ...that meant a lot of elevation to gain, but that's what we were there for!

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2019, 10:46:21 PM »
The morning hours were heralded by the sound of heavy rain. Not heavy in the quantity, but rather the size of each drop; they persisted in their advance on the tipi with reverberant thumps well through the consumption of coffee, but not once did they create hesitation in our day's plan. We were outside before any evidence of the sun found its way into our valley, and as we shrugged on packs we could start to see our camp location was pretty much the partition between snow and rain. We started uphill through branches laden with wet, heavy snow. These two would be cake to track I mused, as I was last in line to witness the bare branches spring back in to position after even the faintest brush of an arm or leg of the men in front of me. "At least any track we find will be fresh!" I offered to the snow dense air. We continued on, only pausing momentarily to shed layers or listen to muffled calls of wandering crows. Up, up we went. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal