collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting in Tacoma? Bow laws within Tacoma?  (Read 6744 times)

Offline LeviFromTacoma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Hunting in Tacoma? Bow laws within Tacoma?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 02:46:11 PM »
The key word here is "limits". "City" implies heavy development. I am within the city limits of University place but I am surrounded by forest. I have a good size family of deer, raccoons, multiple coyotes that all live behind my house. I also happen to be directly across the street from town hall, the police and fire departments. Weird little setup, but there ya go.

Ha, I'm doing the wood framing on that new apartment building just across the street.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2018, 02:46:46 PM »
About the time a screaming rabbit, with an arrow in it's arse, drags himself onto a local hiking trail or road, in plain view of the local people population, .... you'll probably find out if the laws lean your way or not  :chuckle:  I'm not sure about shooting critters within city limits, good question though and I hope your research ends up saying its legal.  Good luck.   
That would be my primary concern. I live in King County and have had monster blacktails in my backyard I can legally shoot with archery gear. I've been tempted but the thought of one dying in front of the school bus has deterred me...so far.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 03:13:36 PM »
Any reason that you wouldn't want to use an air-rifle? There are some really well made and high powered air rifles that are quiet enough to shoot without disturbing anyone. I shoot mine at targets at my house all the time, quieter than a hammer strike.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2018, 03:14:30 PM »
Any reason that you wouldn't want to use an air-rifle? There are some really well made and high powered air rifles that are quiet enough to shoot without disturbing anyone. I shoot mine at targets at my house all the time, quieter than a hammer strike.
Tacoma explicitly bans their use.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 03:23:14 PM »

I'd check for amended ordinances. UP initially didn't make an allowance for target practice with bows and air-guns, and the local PD encouraged them to reconsider how restrictive their original wording was. Here's the amended ordinance:
http://ccr.cityofup.com/Lists/Ordinances/DispForm.aspx?ID=1064

"Section 1 of this ordinance does not apply to:

(other stuff)

Any person engaged in the use of an airgun or bow and arrow while target practicing, providing that the target is stationary and is in front of a safe backstop.  The person firing the weapon must be positioned close enough to the target and backstop to be considered safe and to ensure that no projectiles miss or go beyond the backstop.   "

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2018, 05:04:18 PM »

Northend neighborhoods. I live in an apartment so no rabbits here. I looked through the "public safety" portion of Tacoma code. Nowhere is a bow mentioned, nor is hunting so legally I am in the clear as far as I can tell. Realistically I doubt anyone, especially the police who will inevitably come, will know that or will listen to me explain that.

Living in an apartment, I doubt that you have access to land to hunt on.  Everything around here is owned by somebody.  Just because it looks like a field or a patch of trees doesn't mean that you can hunt it.  Goes double for Municipality properties.

This is a real sign in the city of Tacoma.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »

I'd check for amended ordinances. UP initially didn't make an allowance for target practice with bows and air-guns, and the local PD encouraged them to reconsider how restrictive their original wording was. Here's the amended ordinance:
http://ccr.cityofup.com/Lists/Ordinances/DispForm.aspx?ID=1064

"Section 1 of this ordinance does not apply to:

(other stuff)

Any person engaged in the use of an airgun or bow and arrow while target practicing, providing that the target is stationary and is in front of a safe backstop.  The person firing the weapon must be positioned close enough to the target and backstop to be considered safe and to ensure that no projectiles miss or go beyond the backstop.   "

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2018, 02:05:51 PM »
No hunting in Tacoma...no firearm discharging, no air guns, and no archery (archery can be done on private property with proper target & backstop...i.e. your backyard) but there is no "public" property where you can discharge any weapons. There was a guy who took his bow and target to a park, practiced until the cops showed up, and tried to say how there is no city code against archery...until the officers pointed out "reckless endangerment" which is the catch-all...if you miss the target that arrow is going somewhere, and even if you hit a rabbit that arrow is going somewhere! I know of two guys who had permission to hunt deer with their bows on a parcel of 5 acres down by the waterfront...deer crossed over to the neighbors property and they put their bows away and retrieved the deer...but then were contacted for "trespassing while hunting" as game retrieval is part of hunting...There are much better places to hunt and it really gives us all a bad name when people push the envelope like this. Please don't hunt inside Tacoma, I can guarantee nothing good will come out of it.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline LeviFromTacoma

• Pilgrim
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2018, 03:31:26 PM »
What I have learned from speaking with a woman form the WDFW is:

Tacoma PD considers bows to be "dangerous weapons" so they may not be used anywhere in public.

The rabbit population will continue to grow, unmolested, unchallenged, unopposed until they ravish the landscape and destroy their own environment, enventually depleting their own food source and turning to domestic animals and other small rodents and birds. When that food source dries up... They'll be coming for you and I. By then, it will be too late for me to say "... I told you so."

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 03:35:26 PM »

Tacoma PD considers bows to be "dangerous weapons" so they may not be used anywhere in public.

The rabbit population will continue to grow, unmolested, unchallenged, unopposed until they ravish the landscape and destroy their own environment, enventually depleting their own food source and turning to domestic animals and other small rodents and birds. When that food source dries up... They'll be coming for you and I. By then, it will be too late for me to say "... I told you so."
:yike:

Offline Bofire

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2018, 04:42:56 PM »
I know a guy who got a ticket in Lakewood for shooting a bow at targets in his back yard, with a huge back stop. I bet many cities have banned bows, BB guns lots of things.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »

Run away! 

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2018, 05:10:49 PM »
Box traps in your yard can be very effective.  My dad had a whole string of rabbit box traps on peoples property in Milwaukee WI  when I was growing up.  Dad kept us in groceries the whole winter.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2018, 06:33:08 PM »
Slightly off-topic, but ironic that my earliest hunting memories were from my dad and older brothers bird hunting in the Tacoma city limits. It was a regular deal, and we weren't the only ones doing it. Ducks on the "flats", logbooms, and ponds; pheasants around "Hy-grade" and other brushy areas; bandtails up on "Hylebos Hill". This was in the 70's and to my knowledge it was never questioned.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2018, 07:56:31 PM »

Awesome post. All is lost  :chuckle:
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal