collapse

Advertisement

Poll

How do you feel about images being posted from trail cams?

NO!   - I don't want my image posted online anywhere
YES!  - I can't wait to see my pic show up on HW or elsewhere
yes- but only people caught on camera that were doing something wrong (trespass,vandal, theft)
maybe - I don't really care one way or the other, post or don't post I just do my thing.

Author Topic: posting images online of people you see on your trail cameras  (Read 9086 times)

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
Re: posting images online of people you see on your trail cameras
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2018, 07:53:11 AM »
I have did some theatrics for cams I have come across hoping to get posted on here, but still haven't showed up, so It does not bother me to have my ugly mug posted. 

I have posted a couple pics of folks on the POC thread in the past and never really thought that much about it. after reading through some of the thoughts on the thread that sparked this one, I kind of get why some do not want theirs posted.
Going forward I will only post a POC pic if that person was obviously doing something illegal(ie: stealing) or if it seems that the particular person would not care about having their pic shared. (ie: waving at cam, or putting on a show)  :twocents:

Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2018, 07:56:05 AM »
I don't think most trail cams take flattering pics. They all make me look overweight :chuckle:

Its not the camera

Wife;    Honey does this dress make me look fat?

Husband;    The dress does not make you look fat,...…….the fat makes you look fat.

Wife;    :boxin: :violent1: :mgun: :beatdeadhorse: :mgun2:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2018, 08:32:01 AM »
This is the only "social media" i do and I would not do it if it was anything like FB or the others..  I understand that we are in public when hunting, yeah, yeah, yeah...  I don't even post pics I took on purpose on here, why would I want someone's trail pic of me posted without being asked??

I don't use cams or like them but that is just my personal preference.  For those who do, more power to you.  There are a lot of people who prefer to be a bit more private, modest and less vocal.  And don't like feeling like they are being photographed/videoed in the woods of all places..  As many have said, thats why I go into the woods is to get away from all that..  Now I have to worry about passing someones trail cam having my hunting clothes of choice, weapon, footwear, beard length, baldness, height, weight, gear I'm carrying, intent of why I have any gear, etc., etc, etc. scrutinized by a bunch of yahoos who think they can make that conclusion based off of a couple low quality screen shots from a motion camera...  No thanks.

Offline tracksoup

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2018, 08:44:18 AM »
 :yeah:

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 08:48:08 AM »
Doesn't matter to me "but", if you sell my image to Elk Hunter GQ Magazine, I want a cut of the pay  8)
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline WildlifeAssassin

• Past Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 08:53:31 AM »
If someone is trespassing on private property or obviously poaching by all means put them on blast. When it comes to people minding their business on public land, I think you should mind your business as well. Between surveillance cameras, license plate readers and the super bugs we carry in our pockets, the woods is about the last place where one can seek solitude and privacy from digital intrusion.

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »
This is the only "social media" i do and I would not do it if it was anything like FB or the others..  I understand that we are in public when hunting, yeah, yeah, yeah...  I don't even post pics I took on purpose on here, why would I want someone's trail pic of me posted without being asked??

I don't use cams or like them but that is just my personal preference.  For those who do, more power to you.  There are a lot of people who prefer to be a bit more private, modest and less vocal.  And don't like feeling like they are being photographed/videoed in the woods of all places..  As many have said, thats why I go into the woods is to get away from all that..  Now I have to worry about passing someones trail cam having my hunting clothes of choice, weapon, footwear, beard length, baldness, height, weight, gear I'm carrying, intent of why I have any gear, etc., etc, etc. scrutinized by a bunch of yahoos who think they can make that conclusion based off of a couple low quality screen shots from a motion camera...  No thanks.

:yeah:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 09:11:51 AM »
I voted Only If They're Doing Something Wrong. Someone's picture taken with a trail cam has been taken without their expressed permission. I believe that HuntWA takes on a minute but existent liability by allowing photos to be posted without the subject's permission. However, if the activity of the subject is illegal, there's probably much less opportunity for liability. I do play an attorney on the internet, so my opinion is important to me.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 09:22:24 AM »
I don’t like strangers following me around the woods and thats what all these cams do.  Posting pics of law abiding hunters you don’t know online is incredibly rude imo.  Huntwa is rude in allowing it. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 09:56:26 AM »
They could always blur the faces.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2018, 11:11:24 AM »
I don’t like strangers following me around the woods and thats what all these cams do.  Posting pics of law abiding hunters you don’t know online is incredibly rude imo.  Huntwa is rude in allowing it.
Like there cams all over the place taking pictures of you :dunno:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2018, 11:14:02 AM »
I’m still waiting for my 15 minutes of fame.
I know I’m on some

Offline ThomMedic

• Hunter
  • Groups: evergreen sportsmen club, little rock, wa
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2018, 11:16:15 AM »
Studied journalism for awhile after leaving the Army, I remember one lecture very clearly. It is not against the the law to take a picture of someone in public s viewed from a public street, even if it is a cute child looking out the window of their house as seen from the street.

With that said, the question becomes what will happen to that picture. Facebook and Google can use that photo for commercial means making money for themselves.

Went to Google images and put in my name. What I saw was disturbing. Suggest others do the same.

Offline cavemann

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2018, 11:26:54 AM »
I think the point is this...  5-10 years ago there was no cameras.  Now there are several threads about people on them, seeing them, worried about them.  There probably are not nearly as many as most assume.  there are also probably more than people realized as well.  The question was posed how we would feel if we showed up on a website if we came across one.  Having to be asked that certainly assumes it is something we never had to think about/worry about.  For those of us who are old school, it seems weird.  For those who use them and enjoy them, don't think much about it.  There is no wrong answer but I think it is unfair to criticize those of us who would rather not be on one as paranoid or out of line.  We just don't care for them, but it is a reality now.  To me that sucks..

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2018, 11:48:54 AM »
Studied journalism for awhile after leaving the Army, I remember one lecture very clearly. It is not against the the law to take a picture of someone in public s viewed from a public street, even if it is a cute child looking out the window of their house as seen from the street.

With that said, the question becomes what will happen to that picture. Facebook and Google can use that photo for commercial means making money for themselves.

Went to Google images and put in my name. What I saw was disturbing. Suggest others do the same.

I think I'm going to put in your name. Sounds like it would be interesting! :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]