collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Almost lost my daughter, myself, and completely lost my truck.  (Read 11756 times)

Offline KopperBuck

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Almost lost my daughter, myself, and completely lost my truck.
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
Heard about this later that day. We drove right by - we were on our way to hunt lower down the river and looked like there was a commotion down at the launch. Did you guys get a fire going or just a lot of lights around?

You said popped out of park - was it an automatic? I have to admit, I've been guilty of not putting the ebrake sometimes while driving the automatic. Driving sticks I always do.

Really glad to hear everyone is safe. I love being on the water this time of year, but certainly a reminder how careful we need to be and mindful that we need to be prepared.

Offline Duck_Lover

• Pilgrim
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2018, 12:11:56 PM »
Thank you, God you are safe!

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2018, 12:44:03 PM »
Dude, so sorry you had to experience that.  Glad you and (especially) your daughter is safe.  Makes me sick that you lost your truck but really glad that's all it was. 

Hope you guys still had a Merry Christmas, and I hope you're able to pull off a new rig in the New Year.  Put this behind you!!

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2018, 01:34:09 PM »
Heard about this later that day. We drove right by - we were on our way to hunt lower down the river and looked like there was a commotion down at the launch. Did you guys get a fire going or just a lot of lights around?

You said popped out of park - was it an automatic? I have to admit, I've been guilty of not putting the ebrake sometimes while driving the automatic. Driving sticks I always do.

Really glad to hear everyone is safe. I love being on the water this time of year, but certainly a reminder how careful we need to be and mindful that we need to be prepared.

No fire just a lot of lights. Tow truck, cops, fire fighters, and a diver. No idea why the deputy called the fire department though. Anyway, yes it is an automatic.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2019, 09:58:33 AM »
Little update:

Insurance just got back to me and told me the truck is totaled for sure. No idea what they are going to give me for it but at least the chapter is about to be closed.

Happy to report that my daughter is doing well and has even been out hunting with me again a few times since the accident. She had a hard time the first time back at the launch but she is a tough girl and she has moved past it and is ready to keep hunting!
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2019, 10:45:44 AM »
Little update:

Insurance just got back to me and told me the truck is totaled for sure. No idea what they are going to give me for it but at least the chapter is about to be closed.

Happy to report that my daughter is doing well and has even been out hunting with me again a few times since the accident. She had a hard time the first time back at the launch but she is a tough girl and she has moved past it and is ready to keep hunting!

Don't settle without looking at equivalent values on your own. They're gonna low ball you to the moon and back.

Happy to hear about your daughter. She sounds like a trooper.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2019, 10:52:13 AM »
Little update:

Don't settle without looking at equivalent values on your own. They're gonna low ball you to the moon and back.

Happy to hear about your daughter. She sounds like a trooper.

I have alreasy been talking to them about this. I sent over a list of comparable trucks that I found. I told them that I am really nervous that they will be trying to give me a insultingly low number for my truck and that I would be looking into my own COMPS to make sure we are on the same page.
CoryTDF

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2019, 10:55:08 AM »
Little update:

This is great to read. Kids are resilient.

Offline couesbitten

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2019, 10:42:11 AM »
Very scary experience, so glad that you, your daughter and dogs are all safe. That had to be a pretty helpless feeling, watching your truck get swallowed up by the river.

Question.....what waders were you wearing and did they fill with water etc?

I had always heard this rumor as well, but after watching this video, the risk is almost nonexistent, which actually makes sense when you get to thinking about it.

With the catching ends the pleasure of the chase. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2019, 11:00:43 AM »
Great video.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2019, 11:05:48 AM »

So glad you are OK!!!!!

Insurance companies will look for comparables but they typically don't look on craigslist.
State law says they can search a 150 mile radius and if they need to expand the search, they are to get permission from you. Sometimes there is no choice to expand the search but your truck is fairly common.
Insurance companies utilize other companies for valuations and finding comparable vehicles. There are 3 major companies they use and the public doesn't have access to them but they do a good job in searching and valuing. If the insurance company was to 'low-ball' the value on purpose, they could get in very hot water for doing so.

Do show us your next rig.  :tup:
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline snocohunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2019, 04:33:56 PM »
I'm late to post on this one but good on you for sharing it.  Something similar happened to me at the lake. Luckily my daughter wasnt in the truck.  My truck was running,  in neutral,  with the e brake on.  I always shut the truck off and put it in gear.  But that day I got in a hurry and didn't.  I was standing on the trailer pulling the boat up when I heard the e brake start to slip. I jumped into the bed but even with the doors shut the truck only floated for a minute.  3/4 dodge diesel.  I debated jumping in and trying to open the door and try to drive it out.  But then had visions of getting pinned under the truck somehow. A guy in a boat plucked me off the back. Watched it sink.  Nearby homeowner free dove and hooked up the tow winch and was out within an hour.   Insurance paid off the loan,  gave me the truck and about $13 grand back.  I spent $1000 to get it running and maybe $3k replacing the other odds and ends stuff electrical inside the cab.  Still drive it all the time. I couldn't believe the amount of *censored*ty comments I got from people when I told a few. Never really made it public except on a diesel FB page. We all have moments where we screw up or *censored* happens.  I'm just happy I wasn't hurt and not very many people saw it happen. I went thru my head a million times what I would've done if my daughter was with me. Can't even imagine.  Glad you're all okay.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2019, 09:22:39 AM »
I'm late to post on this one but good on you for sharing it.  Something similar happened to me at the lake. Luckily my daughter wasnt in the truck.  My truck was running,  in neutral,  with the e brake on.  I always shut the truck off and put it in gear.  But that day I got in a hurry and didn't.  I was standing on the trailer pulling the boat up when I heard the e brake start to slip. I jumped into the bed but even with the doors shut the truck only floated for a minute.  3/4 dodge diesel.  I debated jumping in and trying to open the door and try to drive it out.  But then had visions of getting pinned under the truck somehow. A guy in a boat plucked me off the back. Watched it sink.  Nearby homeowner free dove and hooked up the tow winch and was out within an hour.   Insurance paid off the loan,  gave me the truck and about $13 grand back.  I spent $1000 to get it running and maybe $3k replacing the other odds and ends stuff electrical inside the cab.  Still drive it all the time. I couldn't believe the amount of *censored*ty comments I got from people when I told a few. Never really made it public except on a diesel FB page. We all have moments where we screw up or *censored* happens.  I'm just happy I wasn't hurt and not very many people saw it happen. I went thru my head a million times what I would've done if my daughter was with me. Can't even imagine.  Glad you're all okay.

I hear you there man. The past few weeks I have heard it all and to be honest it has not really bothered me as I it was really just a freak thing. I know i'm an idiot and sure I should have put the E-Brake on, but honestly I had done this a million times before some with and some without and never had this issue. What is important is that my daughter, dogs, and myself are safe and that I learned a very valuable lesson. People will always run their mouths as that is just the nature of things. I shared because if my story helps even one single person my humiliation was well worth it.

I was very surprised at the level of support and concern I found here on HW. There always seems to be that "one guy" who has to say something and thus far it has not happened. Like I said before if my story helps even one single person my humiliation was well worth it.

Also, i just let the insurance company take my truck as they gave me just shy of $16k for it and i did not want to hassle with the electrical issues that were sure to plague that truck. My mechanical knowledge ends at oil change so I did not want to mess with it. When it comes to working on cars I am no DIY guy. 
CoryTDF

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2019, 06:00:07 PM »
And now we want to see the new crappie jig that replaced the old one.  :hello:
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2019, 08:43:33 AM »
Launched my boat this weekend and made an extra point to put on the e-brake after reading this thread!  Thanks!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal