collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Lee Shaver sight inserts?  (Read 2613 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Lee Shaver sight inserts?
« on: December 25, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »
Anyone ever use these in a front globe sight on a muzzleloader?

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Lee Shaver sight inserts?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 02:37:18 PM »
Yes both my muzzleloaders are setup with the lyman glode and fine wire in that card you posted.

Works amazing for more pin point accuracy. HOWEVER if you hunt shade/timber and want to shoot in lower light they do not do well. For wide open with lots of light pretty hard to beat IMHO.

Also black TARGETS like a big black bear make it hard to see the black wire :chuckle:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline reelamin

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 03:54:07 PM »
I have mine sitting and waiting for my latest test project to complete go install.  I have installed different inserts and just looked through the sight held out at arms length.  The fine wire cross hair is great for open well lit but sucks in low light.   I am probably going to end up with one of the post/dots.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 03:58:11 PM »
Probably painting it white wouldn’t help that much?

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline BeerBugler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 05:05:52 PM »
I dabbed a toothpick in safety orange paint and put it where the crosshairs meet. Doesn’t solve the issue of lining up your rear peep with the globe in low light but this should happen naturally as long as everything is set up properly.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 05:11:54 PM »
I don’t think it would help to much.
I plan to take one of the inserts I don’t use and dip or paint it in glo paint.
Not sure how well it will stick and hold but one of the ideas I thought that might help.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline reelamin

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 05:12:33 PM »
Probably painting it white wouldn’t help that much?

I will try some dots of paint....maybe try a different color....all things to try.   Not working at it yet, but I will include it in my project report as part of what I want is a better sight system to be able to aim accurately on game to 300yds.

Offline lazydrifter

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 09:24:19 AM »
You can use 2 inserts at the same time. Use the heavy outer duplex with the fine wire cross hair.  Just like a scope.

Offline floatinghat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 08:48:47 AM »
I would use a post and fine cross hairs if you are going to duplex the inserts.  You will still have a challenge in real low light. But 300yds with real low light and open sight really aren't in the same sentence.

If i were after your 300yd goal I would try, a fast twist .45 with 460 to 500 gr of lead pushed by 70 to 90ish grn by volume of powder.  I am going to play with some longer range stuff this summer and just got some 460gr /.45 and 480 and 600 gr /.50.

Offline SteelheadDC

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 09:30:52 AM »
Exactly what Carp said, switched for Muleys in the desert, but think I will need to buy a new gun for hunting elk in the timber.  Kinda silly have to buy a new gun because of the sights.  Oh well cant have too many guns right?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »
Exactly what Carp said, switched for Muleys in the desert, but think I will need to buy a new gun for hunting elk in the timber.  Kinda silly have to buy a new gun because of the sights.  Oh well cant have too many guns right?

Nice thing about having an Encore.. I can just buy a new barrel and put different sights on it. :chuckle:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal