collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The real problem with predator control  (Read 4089 times)

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
The real problem with predator control
« on: January 02, 2019, 09:26:12 AM »
I see a lot of talk about wanting the state to do something about predator control. . Yea well even if we get the state to change it will take a couple years for any plan to go into action.

Here is what I think is the main problem. How many times have you heard the following from other hunters:
I only hunt deer
I don't like bear meat
I am all for coyote hunting. Please keep killing them for me.
I only hunt what I can eat
They're too fast / can't bow hunt them
I used to hunt coyotes.
I don't like gutting bears.
Bears are too cute/likeable.
Coyote hunting sounds fun. But I'm too busy this year.
I don't want to drive that far for predator hunting
Wife/girlfriend won't let me kill cats/bears
I like cats, couldn't shoot one
Bears/Cougars are too hard without bait/hounds
Someone should do something about the predators

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: The real problem with predator control
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:08:19 AM »
My idea was the Predator Incentive Point System.  PIPS

Shooting various predators would give incentive points to something like a quality buck or elk, the idea is that if a hunter has killed enough predators they've earned that huge buck in a quality unit, during a quality hunt window.  The details could be worked out later, I'd just like to get this idea of PIPS out there floating around.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 10:11:58 AM »
I don't spend much time predator hunting because I struggle finding time outside of family/work/kid stuff. I tried coyote hunting a couple times around me and it's tough. I've never even seen one while hunting.  Over east in the open country is obviously a different story. I've never been interested in shooting a bear but always have a small game tag and a cougar tag just in case a bobcat or cougar ends up in front of me.

I know....excuses excuses...
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 10:26:33 AM »
If they offered a Predator Pagage of Small game, Cougar and Bear Id buy it! They did away with the Deer or Elk combo to raise rev. I would love to look at aggregate sales info for the different time periods around policy changes.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 10:27:17 AM »
I don't spend much time predator hunting because I struggle finding time outside of family/work/kid stuff. I tried coyote hunting a couple times around me and it's tough. I've never even seen one while hunting.  Over east in the open country is obviously a different story. I've never been interested in shooting a bear but always have a small game tag and a cougar tag just in case a bobcat or cougar ends up in front of me.

Would predator incentive points help get you out hunting them? 
If you had an opportunity to to get a multi season PIP tag, or quality buck points..would you chase more predators?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 10:29:25 AM »
If they offered a Predator Pagage of Small game, Cougar and Bear Id buy it! They did away with the Deer or Elk combo to raise rev. I would love to look at aggregate sales info for the different time periods around policy changes.

I think what you mean is a predator combo package?  bear, cougar, *wolf + small game

*if or when that ever comes around

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 10:29:32 AM »

If you had an opportunity to to get a multi season PIP tag, or quality buck points..would you chase more predators?

Probably not in all honesty. I'm plenty motivated to spend more time in the woods. It's not about lacking motivation at all.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 10:31:37 AM »

I think predator hunting is a timing issue. Most of us only really hunt weekend with the possible weeks elk or deer camp. There is no shortage of cats and look they limit opportunity. there is no shortage of bears, and they reduce or eliminate spring bear hunts. How many folks could have harvested a cougar during turkey season?
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 10:36:35 AM »
Go to a draw system or some other type of system in which people can only hunt deer and elk every other year, at the most, and I bet people would find they have a lot more time for predator hunting.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 10:40:27 AM »

Shooting various predators would give incentive points to something like a quality buck or elk, the idea is that if a hunter has killed enough predators they've earned that huge buck in a quality unit, during a quality hunt window.  The details could be worked out later, I'd just like to get this idea of PIPS out there floating around.
Bad idea.  The last thing this state needs to do is further complicate and expand it's point system.  If you want to incentive predator harvest - do something like the foundation for wildlife management and raise private funds to incentive or reimburse those who legally harvest predators. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 10:57:22 AM »

Bad idea.  The last thing this state needs to do is further complicate and expand it's point system.  If you want to incentive predator harvest - do something like the foundation for wildlife management and raise private funds to incentive or reimburse those who legally harvest predators.

:yeah:  I agree
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2019, 11:14:10 AM »
I say we make it legal to cage trap Cougars.  we never reach quotas here on the the west side,  :twocents:

Confucius

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
I love to predator hunt.. but would rather sit on the internet and BS the troops!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 05:18:18 PM by Cougartail »
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 04:48:35 PM »

I certainly wouldn't be against F4W version in Washington but I'm not sure how it would work other than possibly coyotes  :dunno: 

We can't usually take more than one species of big game predator except bear on the west side (limit 2) w4m is paying for wolf trappers,  if we ever get to hunt the wolf it won't be more than a special draw or 1 wolf bag limit annually.   

It's not even easy to just get a coyote derby permit here in WA, coyote madness failed this year, if it was easy (or didn't require a permit in the first place) we'd have yote hunters out there trying to knock down some yotes, possibly even giving our antelope a better chance at keeping fawns. WDFW makes it a complicated and lengthy process.  Bearpaw knows more about this than I do.  https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,233490.0.html

Can anyone imagine WDFW giving a thing like foundation for wildlife management a green light to pay the equivalent of bounties?

I'm all ears, instead of crapping on ideas how about coming up with some  :dunno:

Offline Cougartail

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 05:27:28 PM »

I certainly wouldn't be against F4W version in Washington but I'm not sure how it would work other than possibly coyotes  :dunno: 

We can't usually take more than one species of big game predator except bear on the west side (limit 2) w4m is paying for wolf trappers,  if we ever get to hunt the wolf it won't be more than a special draw or 1 wolf bag limit annually.   

It's not even easy to just get a coyote derby permit here in WA, coyote madness failed this year, if it was easy (or didn't require a permit in the first place) we'd have yote hunters out there trying to knock down some yotes, possibly even giving our antelope a better chance at keeping fawns. WDFW makes it a complicated and lengthy process.  Bearpaw knows more about this than I do.  https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,233490.0.html

Can anyone imagine WDFW giving a thing like foundation for wildlife management a green light to pay the equivalent of bounties?

I'm all ears, instead of crapping on ideas how about coming up with some  :dunno:

A business that gets its money from donations like gofundme could buy furs year round for $75.00. Totally legal and would be a big boost to predator harvest.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]