collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long range bear cal/rifle help needed  (Read 10463 times)

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Long range bear cal/rifle help needed
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2019, 02:30:59 PM »

Or can go this route -I saw a video on YouTube where a guy shot an elk at 1200 yds with a 243 so I guess a 243 might be adequate for elk. He shot 8 times and stomach shot it but he filled his tag

Yea and no one posts a youtube video where a small gust of wind shifts the bullet and blows the elk's face off. That undoutedly happens far more than any of these long range shooters want to admit.

Up in the mountains there are no flags and you don't get to sit at a bench. Even at 600 yards from a bench you see people that do it as a hobby completely miss the target.

Online Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2019, 02:31:42 PM »
Any of the calibers mentioned by the OP can get it done at 600-700 yards with the right bullet and placement.  If you are set at getting another gun other than the 270 and 6.5 CM you already have, the 7RM or 300 are a coin toss.  Cant go wrong with either. 

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2019, 02:41:57 PM »
6.5 creedmoor is going to have less energy than a 10mm at that range.

So you are basically hitting it with a handgun round and then walking 7 football fields to start tracking where you shot it.

If you are lucky someone else will find it in the next gmu and finish it off.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2019, 02:58:01 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a "know it all" here are a few thoughts to consider regarding long range bear hunting:

1. Most of the serious long range hunters I know are very capable and responsible about knowing (not guessing) they can make a shot on game, or they don't take the shot
2. I would just like to warn, I've seen hundreds of game animals shot, I consider bear to be tougher to bring down than deer or elk
3. In most cases if you don't hit vitals you don't kill the bear, even hit in vitals it seems like you need to break them down and stop them, bear often do not leave much of a blood trail
4. I request that most of my hunters do not shoot bear beyond 200 or 300 yards because due to past experience the recovery rate drops dramatically at longer distances

I know there are always exceptions but these are good thoughts to consider.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Online Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2019, 03:07:20 PM »
Makes one think about all the bears that are killed each year with a bow and arrow at 40-50 yards.

Offline mossback91

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2019, 03:19:59 PM »
Makes one think about all the bears that are killed each year with a bow and arrow at 40-50 yards.

Was thinking the same thing :chuckle: although archery gear sure does seem to tear up game almost better than a bullet at times! With massive blood trails to boot!Only bear I’ve ever shot was with a bow! Decided I don’t like messing with them after that.

If these guys would reread the original post he does state he has been shooting out to 600 and feels comfortable there expecting to extend his range.... not once did he state that he was looking to begin hunting at ELR ranges. Sounds like to me he’s just looking for a new toy that he intends to practice with and hunt bear with.

I still say 300wsm because it will be a new caliber that you have not yet played with mhwash!

Offline mountainman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2019, 04:37:33 PM »
At the risk of sounding like a "know it all" here are a few thoughts to consider regarding long range bear hunting:

1. Most of the serious long range hunters I know are very capable and responsible about knowing (not guessing) they can make a shot on game, or they don't take the shot
2. I would just like to warn, I've seen hundreds of game animals shot, I consider bear to be tougher to bring down than deer or elk
3. In most cases if you don't hit vitals you don't kill the bear, even hit in vitals it seems like you need to break them down and stop them, bear often do not leave much of a blood trail
4. I request that most of my hunters do not shoot bear beyond 200 or 300 yards because due to past experience the recovery rate drops dramatically at longer distances

I know there are always exceptions but these are good thoughts to consider.  :twocents:
☝Agree and well said Bearpaw
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:19:12 PM by mountainman »
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2019, 07:41:06 PM »
6.5 creedmoor is going to have less energy than a 10mm at that range.

So you are basically hitting it with a handgun round and then walking 7 football fields to start tracking where you shot it.

If you are lucky someone else will find it in the next gmu and finish it off.

Come on now, every other day somebody is posting about getting a 10mm for bear protection and everybody talks about how great the 10mm is. :dunno:

Don't let your logic and first hand experience get in the way of a good internet debate! :chuckle: I would have suggested something in the 338 or larger category except it sounds like the OP likes the Tikka. Now if I could get my hands on a T3 Superlite in 338 RUM I'd be all over that!!

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2019, 09:16:01 PM »
Fail to see how my initial question was not pertinent. Trying to help the guy

Did not mention how experienced he was at hunting bear, how many he has shot and how much long range experience shooting he has. Based on op initial post and not answering my question I could not give advice.
I said in my original post that I've been shooting out to 600 yards for several years.
I have shot a total of 1.
this spring I passed up 4 because they were in the wrong spot or the conditions were not right. Last spring I passed up two for the same reasons.

I don’t think it’s ethical as sportsmen to give advice on how to wound animals.Bears can be very tough to find even with good shots.

My advice is to first shoot a lot of rounds at distances with a 308 or similar ( at least 500) over a few months. Work on range, wid calcs etc which are needed at 700 yards. Good luck as a beginner shooter practicing with sub 10 lb with scope 300 win mag or bigger with 500 plus rounds
Until I got my Creed this summer, most of my shooting was with my 270.

Or can go this route -I saw a video on YouTube where a guy shot an elk at 1200 yds with a 243 so I guess a 243 might be adequate for elk. He shot 8 times and stomach shot it but he filled his tag

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 09:32:51 PM »
Seems like 300 RUM, 30 Nosler, 300 Win Mag would be good choices, per your original post.

Lots of energy left at 700 yards.    Great choice of stout bullets.

Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »
I like how you think.  :yeah:

On another note why the edge over the factory RUM? no real difference except you have to make brass for 1 and not the other.A shooter might get more from a hand loaded edge over the factory RUM but if both are hand loaded no difference..?   :dunno:
The 338 edge has a bit more capacity figure 100 fps.  The 338 rum is getting so scarce now mite as well do the edge which is much more popular if building or rebarreling.  Main reason tho is you can reach 3000 fps with a 300 gr which was a magical threshold of performance by many for years before arrival of the 195 gr 7mm and 215/230 gr 300 wm started reaching out to 1000 yards on a lighter recoil platform.

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2019, 09:59:55 PM »
300 UM cases used for the Edge is way more available then 338 UM for the handloader
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 08:45:54 AM by mountainman »
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline NWShooter

• Hunter
  • Groups: RockyMountain Elk foundation, Mule Deer Foundation, NRA.
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2019, 10:28:05 PM »
As bullet design and performance has advanced. Especially in the last 5 years, long range bore diameter have become smaller on the average. Cartridges such as the .338 Ulta, .338 Edge and such are used by fewer and fewer and replaced by lighter, smaller, high BC bullets driven by smaller much more efficient cartridges. Giving the same down range performs on game as the big .338's. Newer more advanced powders have played a big part also.

The .300 Win Mag is a top performer for the hand loader and the .300 WSM is more of the same in a slightly smaller lighter package. I own both the .300 in a heavy and the WSM in a sporter weight. Only the terrain I will be hunting decides which one I field for the day. Both are very capable of crushing the average scrawny WA black bear (AKA Forest Rat) at distance.

A 10mm will kill a black bear as dead as they can get.

Heavy, quality .284 diameters is where it's at. :tup:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 10:45:51 PM by NWShooter »
A empty vessel makes the most noise.

"Every normal man must be tempted , at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2019, 10:38:36 PM »
With what you want to do I would look at .300 ultra, .300 win mag maybe .338 mags. No real reason to get a wildcat unless you want to. 700 yards is a poke, but there are lots of rounds capable of that.

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2019, 08:13:35 AM »
Come on now, every other day somebody is posting about getting a 10mm for bear protection and everybody talks about how great the 10mm is. :dunno:

I see your point but a 10mm used in defense is going to come from a semi-auto. I definitely wouldn't want a 10mm for bear protection if I only had one shot.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]