collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: the Methow is even worse off than I thought  (Read 54252 times)

Offline Alan K

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
Re: the Methow is even worse off than I thought
« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2019, 03:21:25 PM »
I don't see the initiatives being an excuse for them. It was obvious that the harvest of bear and cougar would tank without baiting/hounds, so you would have thought the seasons would have been increased, or even made year around to account for it.

I think if they were truely trying to maintain healthy ungulate populations they would have made immediate changes to seasons and bag limits to replace the lost baiting and hound harvest. Or at least as much of it as possible. :dunno: 

Predator harvest is so pathetic I don't see any reason there couldn't be a year around boot season and still not meet historical harvest.

Either WDFW is out to protect predators as bearpaw says, or completely inept at game management.  I hope the latter because at least someone with half a brain might get hired and turn things around.  A covert plot to replace hunting in this state with natural predators sounds far fetch'd on it's face but when you look at the actions (or lack thereof) it's pretty easy to become suspicious...

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2019, 03:38:24 PM »
I don't see the initiatives being an excuse for them. It was obvious that the harvest of bear and cougar would tank without baiting/hounds, so you would have thought the seasons would have been increased, or even made year around to account for it.

I think if they were truely trying to maintain healthy ungulate populations they would have made immediate changes to seasons and bag limits to replace the lost baiting and hound harvest. Or at least as much of it as possible. :dunno: 

Predator harvest is so pathetic I don't see any reason there couldn't be a year around boot season and still not meet historical harvest.

Either WDFW is out to protect predators as bearpaw says, or completely inept at game management.  I hope the latter because at least someone with half a brain might get hired and turn things around.  A covert plot to replace hunting in this state with natural predators sounds far fetch'd on it's face but when you look at the actions (or lack thereof) it's pretty easy to become suspicious...
They did.

After the initiative passed the Department of Fish and Wildlife increased the number and reduced the cost of cougar hunting tags, increased the bag limit, and extended the duration of the hunting season in the years following.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Alan K

• Frontiersman
« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2019, 04:21:43 PM »
If that's the case I guess I'm confused as to why we are where we are today with the limited seasons, a single cat bag limit, quotas etc.

At some point they reversed course and placed the additional protections on them. Based on what?  Obviously not populations, that's readily apparent with the sightings that have skyrocketed.  :dunno:

I hope wholeheartedly that WDFW has our best interests in mind, but nothing they do with respect to predators illustrates that.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2019, 04:40:07 PM »
Question from a cougar novice.
Is it possible that the up tick in cougar sightings where there normally weren't alot be caused by wolves pushing them into these areas ?
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Alan K

• Frontiersman
« Reply #110 on: February 02, 2019, 06:08:29 PM »
However, George says, a "12-14 percent harvest rate is a worthless measure (for indicating sustainable cougar numbers) when we have no idea what the population is. It's an estimate at best. The whole thing is a bad joke."

There-in lies the problem. We have had relatively stable annual harvests averaging around 200 per year state wide for the last 20 years, but encounters and sightings have been climbing and climbing and climbing.  The use of trail cameras has been widespread for 10-15 years now and the continually increasing photos further illustrate it. They don't publish any numbers from the days of running dogs, but harvest was certainly considerably greater and they didn't go extinct or even close to it then...  What does that tell us about these quotas they've set?

None of this is directed at you personally Bob33, more of a venting frustration of WDFW's failure to control things.  They NEVER have any spine when faced with this political BS. They could put out a presser eviscerating Inslee on how the SCIENCE shows a need for increased harvest, and it's leading to devastation of our ungulate herds. They never do that though, and THAT is really why sports men and women believe WDFW is all for the predator explosions.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #111 on: February 02, 2019, 06:14:59 PM »
Just going to inject a little logic here...WDFW are not anti-hunters and declines are not all their fault.  Statewide initiatives and politics, human population growth, and habitat degradation/loss are a number of things outside their control that are major contributors to mule deer and other game species declines in this state.

Carry on.

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

WDFW is being run to protect predators! That is their main goal! :twocents:

In eastern states with high human populations and tremendous development, where there are no cougar and no wolves, you can shoot multiple deer per season, one deer a day in one state! The states where elk are being reintroduced they are flourishing!
Apples and oranges bearpaw...not even close comparisons.  Nice try though.  :chuckle:

WDFWs main goal seems to be keeping their bloated bureaucracy afloat.  However, its unreasonable to talk about methow mule deer declines without acknowledging several other major factors outside their control.

There are more mule deer living in the towns in the Methow than anywhere. Everyone who has actually been there know that! The problem is predators!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #112 on: February 02, 2019, 06:20:52 PM »
Politics play a role as well.

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2015/oct/20/gov-inslee-nixes-cougar-hunting-quota-increases-overrules-wildlife-panel/

That is definitely a serious issue, I'm not sure the governor will allow much predator hunting.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #113 on: February 02, 2019, 06:25:58 PM »
Is it possible that the up tick in cougar sightings where there normally weren't alot be caused by wolves pushing them into these areas ?
Anybody?

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #114 on: February 02, 2019, 07:00:16 PM »
I've hunted the Methow for better than 30 years and have owned property there since 91. While not a full-time resident there I do spend a lot of time in the valley and while predators are a problem the thing that doesn't get much mention is domestic dogs. The Methow Valley is the home of the free range dog. Folks that have no rural life experience come over and buy a two acre or five acre lot and the first thing they do is get themselves a 20 acre dog and send him out to go for a "run" every morning. In the winter, in fawning season it takes a toll on the deer. It's not the biggest thing but it's another nail in the coffin for this herd.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #115 on: February 02, 2019, 07:05:02 PM »
Anybody?

That is exactly what’s happening in North Idaho. Like downtown cour d Alene fish and game treed one this summer. I get calls all the time of people seeing cougar on their property close to town.

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #116 on: February 02, 2019, 07:10:01 PM »
Anybody?

The wolves are chasing the deer and elk into town and the cats are following the game. I don’t think they are specifically moving lions but there is elk in around town in places they never were before wolves

That is exactly what’s happening in North Idaho. Like downtown cour d Alene fish and game treed one this summer. I get calls all the time of people seeing cougar on their property close to town.

Offline huntnfmly

• Frontiersman
« Reply #117 on: February 02, 2019, 07:13:30 PM »
Anybody?

The wolves are chasing the deer and elk into town and the cats are following the game. I don’t think they are specifically moving lions but there is elk in around town in places they never were before wolves

Thank you I appreciate it

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #118 on: February 02, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »
I am hearing reports of cougar/livestock issues around Mansfield, seems likely that movement has occured from the north and east.  Any word from WDFW?

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #119 on: February 02, 2019, 09:16:10 PM »
Anybody?

:yeah:

A few years ago a friend of mine got six different cougars on one trail cam at a stock tank in small drainage a few miles outside of Twisp. Before wolves this drainage always had deer in it year around, now wolves are seen in the area on a regular basis year around.

As time goes on and WDFW refuse to address the predator problems more human/livestock incidences will occur, I wonder what kind of pressure it will take for WDFW to respond? To what extent will they go to cover up the predation impacts?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]