collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Radio Collared "WOLF IN TOWN" this morning, WDFW called  (Read 24159 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Radio Collared "WOLF IN TOWN" this morning, WDFW called
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2019, 12:42:58 PM »
Do you guys think wolves are actually a threat to kids waiting at a bus stop? Serious question, not just being a jerk.

A few months ago a young female school teacher was jogging up in Canada that was attacked and killed by wolves.

Also somewhere in Easter washington a few months ago a female researcher was doing some research work and had to climb a tree to get away from the wolves there.

So realistically wolves are a threat to humans but the --- in Olympia dont care. They have their deer & elk devastation plan into play and no one will get in their way.

It is time to wake up and do the right thing when you see these unregulated predators in my personal oppinion.
@HighlandLofts
Just going to post the rules for you one more time as you don't seem to get it. You don't respond to pm's either so I'll just put it here. I edited your post. Cursing is not allowed. Also not allowed is advocating for any illegal activities. You don't say it, but you've said it in the past. We all know what you're getting at. Please refrain from regularly breaking forum rules.

Hunting-Washington does not condone the illegal killing of wolves or any other wildlife. An organized and civilized society must have laws and those laws must be enforced for a society to remain organized.

It has been the policy of Hunting-Washington to allow most civil discussions. Moderators will sometimes remove comments they find and judge to violate forum rules especially if comments are unsuitable for family viewing or discussion on this forum. When comments are found that suggest illegal activity they are usually left on the forum so that law enforcement can monitor such activity.

Everyone has agreed to the Forum Rules when signing up to use this forum. Please note the following excerpt from the Forum Rules:

You agree, through your use of this forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, slanderous, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, adult material, or otherwise in violation of any State, International, or United States Federal law.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »
oh and the teacher killed by wolves was 9 years ago in Alaska.

https://www.adn.com/outdoors/article/wolves-killed-alaska-teacher-2010-state-says/2011/12/07/

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2019, 12:47:44 PM »
Do you guys think wolves are actually a threat to kids waiting at a bus stop? Serious question, not just being a jerk.

A few months ago a young female school teacher was jogging up in Canada that was attacked and killed by wolves.

Also somewhere in Easter washington a few months ago a female researcher was doing some research work and had to climb a tree to get away from the wolves there.

So realistically wolves are a threat to humans but the --- in Olympia dont care. They have their deer & elk devastation plan into play and no one will get in their way.

It is time to wake up and do the right thing when you see these unregulated predators in my personal oppinion.

My only thing is people are attacked by cougars, bears etc yet there isn't the same mindset? Are wolves a danger to kids or people in general, of course they are. I am just not quick to jump at the idea they are MORE dangerous than other predators.  :twocents:

I don't believe that black bears are as dangerous as either. However, they all need to be controlled and people should be aware of all of their killing potential. But wolves live and hunt in packs. They are more dangerous than other predators in that way and their history worldwide proves that. We should be killing cougars, bears and wolves which are coming closer to human populations.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:12:14 PM by jackelope »
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2019, 12:49:52 PM »

My only thing is people are attacked by cougars, bears etc yet there isn't the same mindset? Are wolves a danger to kids or people in general, of course they are. I am just not quick to jump at the idea they are MORE dangerous than other predators.  :twocents:

I'm alert for all predators, grizzly scare me more than anything else. 

For wolves I don't think they're there *yet* but once the game is depleted they'll get there, history has proven this.  We just aren't there yet.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:12:29 PM by jackelope »

Offline MooseZ25

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2019, 12:58:00 PM »
We don't need a kid at the bus stop to be attacked or killed to realize we have a predator problem.  That wolf is in town because that is where the prey is at.  Not much for prey left out in the woods.  Most of the predator problems goes unreported by WDFW.  There was a cougar that killed a house cat last Saturday morning outside a private residence and when the owner opened the door to see what was happening the cougar chased him and his boy back into the house.  Did anybody read that in the paper or anyplace else?  We have a huge problem that is only getting worse. 
Live Every Day To The Fullest

Offline Buckhunter82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2019, 01:36:52 PM »
I find it hard to believe there is only 6 wolves collared in N.E. Washington. I have seen one, got a game cam pic of one and now one in blue creek. Thats 3 with collars within a fairly small area.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2019, 01:38:53 PM »
We don't need a kid at the bus stop to be attacked or killed to realize we have a predator problem.

Unfortunately, I think you hit the nail on the head.  I think that is exactly what may have to happen before folks wake up. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2019, 01:53:31 PM »
 :yeah: and probably more than once. Once will be chalked up to human fault somehow.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2019, 01:54:40 PM »
:yeah: and probably more than once. Once will be chalked up to human fault somehow.

Or not a confirmed attack by WDFW.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2019, 01:57:22 PM »
We don't need a kid at the bus stop to be attacked or killed to realize we have a predator problem.

Unfortunately, I think you hit the nail on the head.  I think that is exactly what may have to happen before folks wake up. 
I agree
And when people post statistics saying the odds are very low of being attacked by wolves I say ask the people who's loved ones have been attacked or killed their odds were 100%
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2019, 02:15:21 PM »
Wolves have been spotted in Colville for years. A friend of mine sent me a picture of a plaster cast made from a track not 100 feet from his house that measures over 6 inches wide. This was from last week up the Gold Creek loop. You can hear the damn things howling on any given night out on highway 20 corridor.

Let's not get carried away. Never been a wolf with 6 inch wide feet.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2019, 02:22:27 PM »

I agree
And when people post statistics saying the odds are very low of being attacked by wolves I say ask the people who's loved ones have been attacked or killed their odds were 100%

Same goes with the people who die in a plane crash, struck by lightning.

We can all agree that wolves have been around for years and year in areas that we all hunt. Lets say we did a forum wide survey of how many hours or days in the field everyone spent in the last 5 years and compare that to the amount of people who even saw a wolf out in the field, let alone were attacked by one. I am confident that those percentages would be way lower than my chance to draw a blues rifle elk tag with 1 point.

The intent of my post is not to argue or sound like a wolf lover but instead to really stop and think about the lengths to which some people are proposing we go to avoid a situation that is probably as likely to happen as us dying in a plane crash yet we don't hesitate in the slightest to jump on a plane to travel.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2019, 02:26:15 PM »
Wolves have been spotted in Colville for years. A friend of mine sent me a picture of a plaster cast made from a track not 100 feet from his house that measures over 6 inches wide. This was from last week up the Gold Creek loop. You can hear the damn things howling on any given night out on highway 20 corridor.

This is the biggest I've seen, I took the images, that's a 30lb Brittany paw that just about fits in one toe of the wolf

30-06 cartridge 3.3 to 3.4 inches, not sure what Hornady superformance 165 SST is exactly. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 02:28:12 PM »
I'm just sitting over here wondering why we didn't build cages at the bus stops to protect the kids from bears and mountain lions and cougars and coyotes and bobcats and stray dogs and chi-mo's...most of which likely pose more of a threat than a wolf does.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 02:28:58 PM »

this gotta be close, I took the images, that's a Brittany paw that just about fits in one toe of the wolf

I'm sure I don't have to tell you that your tracks are going to appear significantly larger when they're all melted out like that.
Don't get me wrong...they're huge tracks.
What cartridge is that?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal