collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alaska DIY Caribou Info  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Tay1480

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Alaska DIY Caribou Info
« on: January 28, 2019, 05:40:26 PM »
My Dad and I are looking into a drop camp style caribou hunt in Alaska. I have been looking at a few transporters that seem like good option, I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them. Good or Bad. Or if anyone knows of another company they have used and could inform me about.  The companies I have been looking at are Arrowhead outfitters they seem to have mixed reviews. Another one is Arctic Air I can seem to find much on them. Then also Mike Odin's Alaska adventure can't find much on him either. Any help is much appreciated.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: Alaska DIY Caribou Info
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
Sounds cool. Fyi, I nuked your other thread post. We discourage duplicate posts in different sections.

Offline Tay1480

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 05:44:21 PM »
ok I wasn't sure where the best section to post would be

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 06:45:29 PM »
Sounds like a ton of fun.

Keep us informed.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Kazekurt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • The trophy is in the hunt; the animal is a bonus!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 07:35:38 PM »
The first question you have to answer is where you want to hunt. There are several Caribou herds in AK and very different types of terrain in which they can be hunted.  Are you thinking North Slope tundra out of Happy Valley or Deadhorse?  South Slope from Coldfoot?  Or  Alpine Mountain tops or timber from various locations further south? Are you set on a drop camp or perhaps interested in a drop and float?  Airboat?   There are lots of options for Caribou and all of them can be very good hunts.  40 mile air is a great service in the heart of AK but is often booked by now.  There are a couple of airboat transporters that operate from happy Valley/ pump Station two as well as some air transporters on the north slope.  Anyway,  most of my personal experience is on the North Slope but  there are a lot of other options as well.

Offline Tay1480

• Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 08:42:21 PM »
We are thinking north slope of the brooks range or out of Kotzebue in unit 23. We would be open to other kinds of hunts like a float or air-boat. Did you fly-in or boat? Did you use a outfitter or transporter? Where you successful on the north slope? 40 mile air is very booked they have made a good name for themselves.  Thanks for any info

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 08:54:26 PM »
Me and a friend flew out of kotzebue on a diy hunt a few years ago. I think there is only one service out of there? They were good I thought we both got nice caribou, don’t go in August as there is no migration and there were very few caribou I learned hard way September is when they migrate. It was our bad choice on the time frame but bush pilot was good. I can get name if you need it

Offline jager

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 09:36:42 PM »
I agree, you should decide where and what type of terrain you would like to hunt.

Also decide what kind of hunt are you looking for...make some criteria for the hunt.
How many days? Do you mind hearing boats or do you want solitude? Do you want to be the first guys in the area for the year? Cast and blast? Do you mind river crossings? Rent camp or bring your own? Lots of questions.

You could plan for this year, Its doable... may be a little tight ...

Stay away from Arrowhead. Personal experience.

Ive been up there twice, next will be a float. Not that I think a drop camp is a bad option

You asked about transporters, don't want to tell you what you may already know.

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 01:27:28 AM »
We just went a year ago my son and i. We went on south slope. We used Bushwacker air and he was a excellent transporter. He also hunts north slope. Give him a call http://www.bushwackerair.com/  I agree on the timing of the migration. We went from sept 5th-14th and still almost missed it. Got our animals on the last couple days. If i did it again i may slide that start date to like the 8th or 9th.  If you do a search of my name i did a thread somewere on our trip awhile back.

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 01:33:26 AM »

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 06:15:44 AM »
Tagging….pre planning a 2021 trip.

Offline Tay1480

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »
Nice pictures and bull spin05. Thanks for the information.
 After thinking about some of the point brought up we have decided we don't want to hear boats and would like to be more isolation. We have found I spot with a transport out of kotzebue that we have decided to book. The terrain looks more like a open tundra which is what we want.  We fly into the field sept 13th for 7 days. We are stoked. Any tips or shared experiences would be much appreciated
Thanks again to everyone offering info

Offline spin05

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 12:06:42 AM »
We had orginally booked out of Kozuboue but they closed alot of land off to non-resident hunters that year so we canceled and switched.  They may have opened it back up but be sure and ask.  I know a guy in Kotz that rents gear if you need any. Let me know and i can get you his name.  One good thing about Kotz is there 2 guys they fly by the hour there. I hear thats the cheaper way to go. I think it was $800/hr when we were going . So definitly look into that. I dont remember which ones they were thou
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 12:45:22 AM by spin05 »

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »
Nice pictures and bull spin05. Thanks for the information.
 After thinking about some of the point brought up we have decided we don't want to hear boats and would like to be more isolation. We have found I spot with a transport out of kotzebue that we have decided to book. The terrain looks more like a open tundra which is what we want.  We fly into the field sept 13th for 7 days. We are stoked. Any tips or shared experiences would be much appreciated
Thanks again to everyone offering info

sounds like exactly what we did and we did not see anybody else even flying out -of course we were early.   

Offline Tay1480

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2019, 05:00:57 PM »
Its through Arctic Air . They do a package where you can rent all the camping gear from them and they supply food for the week. Makes it a lot easier for traveling on commercial flight. We each can bring 80lbs of our gear which includes your weapon of choice.
 Idaho guy: Do you have any pictures of the bulls you guys got? 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal