collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Alaska Winter Mountain Goat Hunt! Just gonna send it!!!!!  (Read 56578 times)

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Alaska Winter Mountain Goat Hunt! Just gonna send it!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 01:30:52 PM »
Thanks all for the encouraging words.  I've been very reluctant to make purchases, book flights, organize gear, or anything of the sort that we do for a normal hunt until I knew it was going to be a for sure thing.  With Michael days away from being back on American soil I feel better about really ramping things up!  Hopefully I can cash in the few karma points I may have on a nice representation of the species.  Excitement and nervousness is starting to set in :o
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 01:32:05 PM »
Karl this is great. Wishing you guys an epic adventure.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline DeerThug

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »
What an adventure!  Cant wait to follow along.
Good luck and be safe....

Thug.
Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 01:44:54 PM »
Karl, you are a HW legend! good luck man I hope you guys have a great and successful adventure!
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 02:01:03 PM »
Standing by for an amazing adventure.  Good Luck!
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 02:07:34 PM »
Sounds like a great hunt good luck
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 02:16:18 PM »
Hope it is everything you want, and I'm looking forward to following along.  None of those float plane guys have skis? 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 03:05:19 PM »
Epic adventure coming your way  :tup:.  Can't wait to read about it!

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 03:08:36 PM »
 That will be fun good luck and be safe.  Some of my best and absolute worst memories were made on hunting trips in Alaska!
Go hawks

Offline TheYoungSelfStarter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • none
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 04:02:39 PM »
WHELP!!!!  Title pretty much says it all! In 2012 My little brother's first duty station in the Army was Ft Richardson in Anchorage Alaska.  He finished a Pashto language course at Ft. Benning in Georgia, jumped in his truck, drove straight through to Anchorage, hit the DMV to apply for his residency, backed his truck that was loaded with everything he owned into a heated storage unit, and hopped on a commercial flight to Afghanistan to link up with his new band of brothers.  13 months later he returned as an Alaskan resident :IBCOOL:

Since that day we have dreamed of using his residency to hunt something that most will never be able to.  Problem has always been timing.  Block leave has never lined up correctly, and increased training and deployments since moving to Ranger Regiment have been constant. 

Our older brother Aaron always talked of elk adventures in other states but we never made it happen for various reasons.  After the tragic day that that rocket attack took him from us Michael and I vowed that we would never "just talk" about doing something ever again!

Michael returns Monday from his most recent deployment and his leave dates give us a little window of opportunity finally head to the great white north! February 15th we fly to Kodiak for a DIY winter Mountain Goat hunt.  An animal that is at the very top of both our bucket lists!

Short daylight, weather, snow, etc. will surely make this an adventure we will not soon forget.  Less than three weeks till game day and prep work has been in full swing! Lots of pics coming soon!
Wow, good luck to you brother, sorry for your lose. Definitely take lots of pics and vids man!
Never argue with a stupid person, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Born2late

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 04:16:25 PM »
Your going to have a great hunt!  Just talked to my best friend who flies the island for a living and he said he just talked to one of his fisherman and the goats are down low ,50-500ft right off the salt. As long as you can get there,weather permitting you'll do good.
Only problem you'll have is after this your going to want to go back for more.

He said if you want to send me your number he will connect you with a buddy who just got back from down there and can give you as much info as you need.
Good luck!!

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 05:16:55 PM »
Your going to have a great hunt!  Just talked to my best friend who flies the island for a living and he said he just talked to one of his fisherman and the goats are down low ,50-500ft right off the salt. As long as you can get there,weather permitting you'll do good.
Only problem you'll have is after this your going to want to go back for more.

He said if you want to send me your number he will connect you with a buddy who just got back from down there and can give you as much info as you need.
Good luck!!
absolutely!  PM inbound!  At this point I dont know what to believe lol.  Bio says oh they stay high! Long time guide says they move with the snow line and will be around 1,200.  Dean with Andrew's airways says the same.  One constant is big billies will be on wind swept ridges around 2,000+. At this point the plan is hit the beach and start stepping until we see hairy white creatures :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 05:25:26 PM »
Normally the unknown excites me going into a hunt but this one is a bit different.  I get on GE and scout all these peaks and short mountain ranges but I have zero idea what I'm supposed to be looking at  :chuckle:. I feel like so much is being left in the hands of a stranger to drop us in a spot that will produce with hard work.

Everything in Alaska is expensive! Even a 100% DIY hunt is still thousands of dollars! $550 commercial flight.  $760 goat tag.  $1,000 float plane ride (one way :yike:).  That's not counting impending taxidermy costs, some added gear, etc.  Thank goodness for some old friends and new that offered some gear to borrow. 

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2019, 05:26:43 PM »
This thread is a good reminder that I owe Mr Karl some equipment
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Online Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 05:27:19 PM »
You bringing a rifle right? Good luck looking forward to some updates mountain goat is my biggest goal, good on you for making it happen.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal