collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Light weight defensive fixed blade  (Read 2011 times)

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Light weight defensive fixed blade
« on: February 06, 2019, 05:54:08 PM »
Howdy,
Any of you fine folks have a lead on a quality defensive knife? Will mostly be for my wife out trail running in the mountains.

Requirements:
Lightweight. In the 2-8oz range
Fixed blade.
Comfortable shealth that is easily carried.
In the $100-200 range

Bonus points:
Concealable.
Possible horizontal carry?
A ring in the frame for a finger. Preferably pinky.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:02:33 PM by T-Dozzer »

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Light weight defensive fixed blade
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 12:35:58 PM »
A suggestion, if you have ever been trained to fight with a knife, a knife with finger holes leads to broken fingers in a fight.
A knife is a last resort close in defensive weapon. Unless you hit the few instant kill locations, you can cut all day, and your opponent will still be in the fight. Even an artery cut, takes minutes to bleed out.
I would not use or let my wife use (not that mine would ever consider carrying one) a knife with finger holes for a defensive weapon if I had a choice.

Here are a couple suggestions for close in fighting knives:

http://www.bramfrankknife.com/

I personally carry a SOG Flash II Tonto (black) for my EDC,  it opens with one hand and has an excellent blade.

As always when in a knife fight, you have to except you will get cut. You can trade a insignificant cut for a lethal cut.

Just my  :twocents: and that's all it is worth
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »
I personally like the ka-bar TDI knives. Fixed blade very easy to draw. Does have different options for blade lengths. The included holster has great retention and conceals very nicely. Would also be way under your budget. I have always worn this on a belt though. Not sure what kind of clothing a trail runner would be wearing.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »
@ Alchase-
Thanks..... I think :chuckle:
She has a ccw & carries once in a while, but doesn't like packing a pistola on her runs. We have been having a cougar lurking around our place alot lately & the knife is more of security blanket for her. She has been packing one of mine lately (half faced blades-face plug), but its kinda pricey to risk losing.

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 03:34:37 PM »
A suggestion, if you have ever been trained to fight with a knife, a knife with finger holes leads to broken fingers in a fight.
A knife is a last resort close in defensive weapon. Unless you hit the few instant kill locations, you can cut all day, and your opponent will still be in the fight. Even an artery cut, takes minutes to bleed out.
I would not use or let my wife use (not that mine would ever consider carrying one) a knife with finger holes for a defensive weapon if I had a choice.

Here are a couple suggestions for close in fighting knives:

http://www.bramfrankknife.com/

I personally carry a SOG Flash II Tonto (black) for my EDC,  it opens with one hand and has an excellent blade.

As always when in a knife fight, you have to except you will get cut. You can trade a insignificant cut for a lethal cut.

Just my  :twocents: and that's all it is worth
:yeah:

If it is really just to try and stab a cougar when under attack the Benchmade Steep Country might not be a horrible idea. Fairly light, kidex holster etc... Plus it's a good knife for hunting. If it is to fend off people as well, good luck. Better off with mace in a her hands at all times. They make stuff for joggers. https://www.mace.com/products/peppergard-sport-pepper-spray
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 03:45:20 PM »
I have a steep country. Bit bulky for joging. Awesome knife though. The likelihood she will need anything is almost zip, but if it keeps her grinding, Im in. She runs somewhat remote mountain trails.I see a handful of cats every year, but this one is pretty brazen. Not sure how well mace would serve from a surprise attack from the rear. She has a few kimber pepper blasters somewhere. I suppose she could just buck up and go w/o anything or just pack a pistol.
Alot of hyptheticals.... just curious if anyone knew of something that met or came close to what Im looking for.
Appreciate the feed back though.

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 10:28:48 AM »
I have a steep country. Bit bulky for joging. Awesome knife though. The likelihood she will need anything is almost zip, but if it keeps her grinding, Im in. She runs somewhat remote mountain trails.I see a handful of cats every year, but this one is pretty brazen. Not sure how well mace would serve from a surprise attack from the rear. She has a few kimber pepper blasters somewhere. I suppose she could just buck up and go w/o anything or just pack a pistol.
Alot of hyptheticals.... just curious if anyone knew of something that met or came close to what Im looking for.

Step up a couple bucks and the Benchmade Altitude becomes an option. Legitimately lightweight. 
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 10:41:27 AM »

Step up a couple bucks and the Benchmade Altitude becomes an option. Legitimately lightweight.

Thats a good option. I already have an Esee izula which is kinda similar. Not sure I need anymore hunting drop point type knives. I have a drawer full & usually just pack a tyto or havalon

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 12:15:33 PM »
I apologize, I assumed you were looking for protection from the two legged animals, Not cougars.

Any of the above mentioned knives would work against a cougar, especially if she uses continuous punching/stabbing action, do not quit until the cougar stops moving. Penetration is what you want to hit anything vital. Slashes are not likely to put a lethal hit on a cat or a human.
She would be better off packing both knife and spray.

My wife would not run in cougar country even if I was with her, LOL

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 12:29:49 PM »
Its all good. I'm probably looking for the magic knife and a reason to buy more stuff I don't need.
Appreciate the feedback.

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »
I read you want a fixed blade knife.
Fine.

If it were me I would run the hooked blade one here.
It will cut to the bone pulling toward you.

If all else fails and it is a hand to hand show....................These are SUPER nasty.

https://hiconsumption.com/2015/01/best-self-defense-knives/

or for the guy that has everything.

http://www.exit15.com/m48-cyclone-tri-edged-spiraling-dagger-knife-with-custom-vortec-sh?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrODim4Ct4AIVFKrsCh27PQdYEAkYEiABEgJpivD_BwE
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:47:01 PM by 2MANY »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 04:31:58 PM »
T handle push knife, double edge hung in a kydex holster off her neck.

Benchmade makes a nice one, just cant carry concealed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan