collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How much to build a rifle  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
How much to build a rifle
« on: February 24, 2019, 08:19:14 PM »
If I supply all the parts ie new action, barrel blank, stock etc how much am I looking at to have a custom build finished up and assembled? Something like a proof barrel on a bighorn or Stiller action, with a brake. Just wondering labor costs excluding parts

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
Re: How much to build a rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 08:45:58 PM »
$850.   That was labor on last build but some of that is ordering and babysitting orders for 6 mo so maybe less with parts all in hand.  Difference between one day build and 6 months of tracking parts and dealing with client is $$.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 06:19:32 PM by Magnum_Willys »

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 10:01:28 PM »
I just had a .300 RUM built with a Proof barrel and brake just like u r talking about. With my supplied parts and labor it was $771.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 12:16:38 PM »
i think you get a better labor deal if you buy the parts from the builder ... all part of business  :twocents:
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 12:23:19 PM »
i think you get a better labor deal if you buy the parts from the builder ... all part of business  :twocents:

That’s fine, but I can price out all the parts just wondering how the labor will shake out

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 12:33:25 PM »
All your labor would be a set price.  Muzzle brakes, chamber jobs, bedding, etc.  A builder can provide an exact price on all that stuff.  Chamber job is gonna 150-250. Bedding will be a few hundred.  Thread job for a brake will be 100-150. Then a fee to put it all together.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 02:01:41 PM »
So you’ll have a set labor charge like 45-85 per hour depending on gunsmith, but they’ll have set job fees. Brownells has a gunsmith rate chart built up. It’s a good look through to figure pricing. Though I do agree a smith can cut you a deal for parts and the build, personally I like when all the stuff is just handed over.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 05:46:07 PM »
Also, keep in mind there are little fees that people either forget about or aren't aware of. 

An example of some of those fees, if you're building off of something like a Remington action most good smiths won't reuse a factory recoil lug so that'll be a extra cost.  If you want the recoil lug pinned, extra cost.  If there is any fitting to the stock required or if the barrel channel needs to be opened up, extra fee.  If you're using a wood stock, it is always recommended to have pillars installed, this will either add cost to the bedding job or will be a separate fee.

There are quite a few gunsmiths that actually list the prices for their services.  I know Karl Kampfeld w/Kampfeld Custom shows the prices on his website and there are others that do as well.
http://www.kampfeldcustom.com/boltfluting0914_003.htm

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »
I just go with barrel nut Pre-Fit barrels.  No gunsmith fees. Rebarrel is less than $500. Haven’t been disappointed yet. Jmo
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline rbros

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 06:28:37 PM »
My normal parts build charges
Chamber $300
Thread muzzle $100
Pillar bed $200
Coating $200

This is assuming all your parts work together and it's a custom action   
R Bros Rifles
www.rbrosrifles.com

Offline Mtnwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 06:53:22 PM »
Thanks guys, still trying to decide which direction I want to go. Just wanted to make sure I was accounting for all of the major expenses when doing price comparisons on factory vs semi custom vs full custom

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 07:56:49 PM »
Prices are all over the place and a lot of what you pay for is a name. I've had guns put together by just some guy with a lathe for $150 and they shot great. I've had guns built by top named smiths that charged $600 for just a rebarrel that shot OK at best. I think $300 is a good middle of the road price for just a straight thread and chamber job

I'm currently dealing with a well known smith who charged $580 per barrel to thread and chamber my 2 supplied barrels with my reamers and then $150 to thread the muzzles. A high school metal shop drop out could have performed better work. After retrieving my barrels and half of the money I paid him (I paid in full when the work was completed only to find out that it hadn't even been started), I sent them off to a no name Vet who's just getting started. I'll end up paying a fraction of the price originally quoted by the big name, but get a finished product that will be just as accurate.

I guess my whole point here is that the price of the work doesn't always line up with the quality of the work when it comes to gun building. I've used 14 different gunsmiths over the years and there are only 3 who I'd ever personally recommend. 6 of the 14 are top named smiths, but only 2 of the 3 I'd recommend are names that anyone would recognize.  :twocents:

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 07:56:56 PM »
Action, barrel, and stock are the long wait items depending if you are dead set on something particular.  I just went through all of this and finally nearly done with the build.

Online mountainman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 04:38:24 PM »
Prices are all over the place and a lot of what you pay for is a name. I've had guns put together by just some guy with a lathe for $150 and they shot great. I've had guns built by top named smiths that charged $600 for just a rebarrel that shot OK at best. I think $300 is a good middle of the road price for just a straight thread and chamber job

I'm currently dealing with a well known smith who charged $580 per barrel to thread and chamber my 2 supplied barrels with my reamers and then $150 to thread the muzzles. A high school metal shop drop out could have performed better work. After retrieving my barrels and half of the money I paid him (I paid in full when the work was completed only to find out that it hadn't even been started), I sent them off to a no name Vet who's just getting started. I'll end up paying a fraction of the price originally quoted by the big name, but get a finished product that will be just as accurate.

I guess my whole point here is that the price of the work doesn't always line up with the quality of the work when it comes to gun building. I've used 14 different gunsmiths over the years and there are only 3 who I'd ever personally recommend. 6 of the 14 are top named smiths, but only 2 of the 3 I'd recommend are names that anyone would recognize.  :twocents:
Question..
If $300 is what you feel a far price, why drop off at a smith that charges $280 more then that? Even if it CAN be done by a high school kid? Must have been some reason??
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 05:11:26 PM »
I think he was trying to say that the "smith" was supposed to be some kind of guru and he thought it would be worth it.  Found out mid way through the project that he wasn't. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]