collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pelosi Claims Future President Could Use “National Emergency” to Target Guns  (Read 7515 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Ya, not so much Nancy.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
now threes a POS
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Odell

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
She's not wrong that this trend has consequences. Presidents have been expanding the power of the executive office for too long. What can be done this way can be undone by the next president. I have no problem with a wall, but declaring a national emergency because you can't get congress to do what you want is a terrible way to govern.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
It's not an emergency, it's our passion to get government out of our lives.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline bradslam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
 :yeah:
She's not wrong that this trend has consequences. Presidents have been expanding the power of the executive office for too long. What can be done this way can be undone by the next president. I have no problem with a wall, but declaring a national emergency because you can't get congress to do what you want is a terrible way to govern.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Exactly- Obama abused the power through Executive Order and started a trend that needs to stop.  The border needs some attention, but clearly it is not a national emergency.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
This is obviously Faux outrage by Pelosi and hard to take her seriously. Perhaps Congress should quit being afraid to assert the constitutional powers vested in themselves?  Unfortunately most are cowards that want to push unpopular agendas in massive Omnibus Bill's so they dont have to stand and be counted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
:bash:

Pelosi Claims Future President Could Use “National Emergency” to Target Guns
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20190222/pelosi-claims-future-president-could-use-national-emergency-to-target-guns

So much for the were not trying to take your guns lies.

Offline RJW

• Tracker
    • Bob Williams
If you want to find out what the presidential powers are you don't look at the constitution.  You look at CFR title 3. This the Code of Federal Regulations for the president. I know about these because CFR title 21 applies to my job.
Everyone is superman behind the keyboard

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Exactly- Obama abused the power through Executive Order and started a trend that needs to stop.  The border needs some attention, but clearly it is not a national emergency.
I've heard/read several pieces with claims from lots of medical personnel and law enforcement about fentanyl and opiods being a national medical emergency.  Those things are primarily coming from Mexico.  Supposedly even the cartels are concerned and are sending lots of cheaper meth now, in part because so many of their customers are dying from the fentanyl. 

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
Updated with links and excerpts of the CRS report.  At least read the first several paragraphs.

Don't fall for this manipulation.  The CRS report laid out existing statutory authority, both to declare a national emergency, and to fund wall construction from existing sources, where anti-cartel measures are one such program.

Read it. 

I have not seen particular reports of how Trump is in violation of congressionally granted authority, just this slippery slope appeal to emotions.  If there is such a report, please point it out.

Here is that CRS report, which has been updated since the President invoked the National Emergencies Act.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/LSB10242.pdf

In it, it does indeed identify that there may be several legal challenges that a court could rule upon, given that it is relatively unprecedented for Congress to push back on such declared national emergencies. 

It also describes the current process that the House is undertaking to terminate the declared National Emergency. "Congress enacts a joint resolution terminating the emergency (which would likely require the votes of two - thirds majorities in each house of Congress to override a presidential veto)."

So rather than succumb to fear mongering that a Dem president could rescind the 2A, something that even Lincoln had not undertaken in the Civil War (as far as I could research), the proponents of regular order and limited Executive power should be promoting the House's efforts to terminate the National Emergency as provided in the National Emergency Act.

At least stop pretending that this is all VERY unprecedented and a dangerous usurpation of congressional authority.

Although the original NEA authorized termination through a concurrent resolution, which does not require the President’s signature, Congress amended the provision in 1985 to require a joint resolution as a response to a 1983 Supreme Court decision holding that legislative vetoes were unconstitutional. While the NEA directs each house of Congress to meet every six months to consider whether to terminate a national emergency by joint resolution, Congress has never met to consider such a vote.

Although the NEA was intended to end perpetual states of emergency, it authorizes the President to renew an emergency declaration to avoid the Act’s automatic termination provision. Today, 31 national emergencies declared pursuant to the NEA are in effect, with Presidents having renewed certain emergencies for decades.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
I've heard/read several pieces with claims from lots of medical personnel and law enforcement about fentanyl and opiods being a national medical emergency.  Those things are primarily coming from Mexico.  Supposedly even the cartels are concerned and are sending lots of cheaper meth now, in part because so many of their customers are dying from the fentanyl. 

There was some recent report of opiods overtaking automobiles as a leading cause of deaths of Americans.  And surprise, "gun violence," or however the gun control advocates want to misleadingly characterize deaths by firearm (include suicide, etc.), is a relatively minor blip compared to the two, last I checked.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan

:yeah: I think the emergency declaration was a big mistake and opens up the field on this issue to whatever a President wants to pass but is blocked by the legislature. This was not the intent in giving the President the power to use emergency powers.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]