collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting with a lever action rifle  (Read 7596 times)

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Hunting with a lever action rifle
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 09:29:29 PM »
About 90% of my big game hunting is with a savage 99 or marlin 1895.  If i take a bolt action it's usually because it's pouring(stainless 30-06) or I'm sitting on a clearcut or on the east side where there's a possibility of needing to take a long shot. (270 win).

Since i mostly hunt blacktails in the thick stuff, most deer i see are somewhere between 5 and 30 yards. A well balanced lever action is a real joy to carry around in that stuff.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 11:24:57 PM »
I bought a Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 2 years ago.

I had to put a scope on due to my old eyes.

I've carried it but haven't fired it at game.......   yet.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline HawkCreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 12:10:52 AM »
I keep messing around with finding a load for each of these but I haven't sat down to go about it seriously. Here in the desert it's tough for me to put aside the scope but I hope to take some mule deer with these, possibly some elk in the future.

Offline HawkCreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 12:15:44 AM »

Working on a mod 71 in 348 Ackley Imp.  Should get pretty close to 35 Whelen performance which might be good for 600 (chip shot for your cannons).

I'd love to get my hands on a model 71! It's just so hard to find a good deal on one. Most of the ones I see are too nice for what I'd use it for.

I didn't realize the newer 71's had climbed in value so much. Back around 2005 I found a NIB Browning 71 for a bit over $700 and they were all over Gunbroker and other auction sites. In need to get some more brass and get mine shooting again.

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 01:06:15 AM »
My dad has this gun and I have wanted to get it in the woods for years. Marlin 336 octagon 30-30. It does have the checkered stock and fore end though unlike this pic. But I hunt 99% of the time in firearm restricted areas so have not had a chance. He hasn't used in in years either cause a gunsmith told him once that he would never fire another shot in it, told him it was worth big money since Marlin didnt make many in the octagon barrel like that. But it has been reblued (was worn to bare steel when my dad picked it up), and has a couple parts that are not original. I did more research and checked the serial number with a collector. Said if it was 100% original it may be worth more. But as is it is only $400-$500 at most as a collector. I want to put a peep on it and use it so badly.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 05:11:46 AM »
That's a beauty a bit heavy I imagine
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 07:11:49 AM »
I'm not much of a modern rifle deer hunter, but when I do, I use one of two Marlin Cowboy Models one in 30-30 the other in 45/70. Both have (to some) long octagonal barrels of 24" and 26"(?), but they are not heavy. I outfitted both with Williams peep sights and even with 66 year old eyes, they are both very accurate.

The peep sights from Skinner look very nice:

http://www.skinnersights.com/
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 07:25:36 AM »
I’ve taken both of my “first” deer with a 30-30. First one I shot at about 40 yards and ran downhill towards a road where a road hunter politely finished it off, threw it in the back and hauled ass downhill. That was when I was 10 or so. Then when I was 13 I took the marlin 30-30 my dad bought me for my birthday and shot a really nice whitetail a couple hills away from my parents house. So we dubbed that one my first. Hence I took both my first deer with one. My brother sold that rifle to a buddy while I was in the army, who sold it to a friend, who traded it to a guy who last week traded with me and now I have my trusty 30-30 back and am buying some leverlution to go hunt bear with this year and some skinner sights.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 08:00:48 AM »
Killed a dump truck load worth of deer with my browning blr.  After my grandpa died I made a point of taking his win 94 in 32 win special for a walk about now and again.  If shot a few deer and a bear with it.  Love old lover guns
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline fly-by

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 08:06:07 AM »
Go-to west side predator rifle is a Rossi 92 stainless 16" 44 mag with 2x scout scope.  Extremely handy, almost SBR-like.

Recently bought a 1958 Winchester 88 and put a Skinner rear and fiber optic front on it. Have yet to shoot anything with it.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 01:57:22 PM »
I shot my very first deer, a NH whitetail, with my grandfather's 1945 M94 .30/30.  I also killed 8 or 10 whitetails in Wyoming with it, great gun for stillhunting the riparian woodlands.  My uncle also killed his first deer with it.  My grandfather had mounted a 2x Redfield extended eye relief scope on the barrel, I took it off and only used the original buckhorn sights.  Have not hunted with it in WA, but hope to again some day.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 02:08:22 PM »
I shot my very first deer, a NH whitetail, with my grandfather's 1945 M94 .30/30.  I also killed 8 or 10 whitetails in Wyoming with it, great gun for stillhunting the riparian woodlands.  My uncle also killed his first deer with it.  My grandfather had mounted a 2x Redfield extended eye relief scope on the barrel, I took it off and only used the original buckhorn sights.  Have not hunted with it in WA, but hope to again some day.

I shot my first NH buck with a model 94 Sears Winchester with just the standard iron sights.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 02:17:26 PM »
I have a 30-30 that I've wanted to use but can't shoot it worth a damn.  I'm assuming it is not being familiar with the iron sights it has on it.  I'll probably throw a peep sight on and give it a try.  I'd love to have a lever gun that I'm confident with.

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 02:17:57 PM »
I shot at my first mule deer buck on Tyee With my lever action 30 30. Great memories

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 02:22:45 PM »
I have hunted with 45-70 xlr and killed 2 deer and a bear.  One deer was 290 ish yards and the other at about 30.....both died.  The bear was about 50 yards.   I also own a 450 marlin that is a hoot to shoot but have yet to hunt with it. 

Love lever guns....still looking for a .444 marlin and 30-30 to add to my collection. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal