collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cost of lab puppy? Is $1200-1500 the new normal?  (Read 4575 times)

Offline Westside88

• Political Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Cost of lab puppy? Is $1200-1500 the new normal?
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 08:19:26 PM »
Yes, that is the norm.

Most dog people will tell you that the initial price is the cheap part...
This is true. The breeders who do things right have a lot invested. It seems like a lot of money, but to get a quality dog in good health itís worh it

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2019, 12:02:22 AM »
Most folks dont know the differences between trial and show or any of the titles between. Talk to a few folks, ask questions if there is something you dont completely understand.
 If it smells funny its probably bullsnot. There is a price point based upon availability. Real nice lab breedings are a dime a dozen. Lots of specimens available to make good papers. $1,200 is a good number for a well bred lab. Pushing $2,000 up each parent should be field trial quality and have proven prodigy.

Get into off breeds, the price increases based on proven performance and availability of said breed with titles.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 05:00:55 AM »
The days of the $400 puppy are gone

Offline fowl smacker

• Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2019, 05:30:51 AM »
I guess I shouldn't have stopped breeding my females.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2019, 06:37:15 AM »
Don't know alot about dog breeding but I did own a female lab with some kind of super fancy pants pedigree. Parents had won all the competitions and hunted like crazy and had never had health concerns the whole nine yards.

A trainer bought her and she didn't really have a hunting drive so we got her on the cheap from him at about seven months old.  Absolutely fantastic family dog and after alot of work she turned into a mediocre duck dog. The guy we bought her from says it happens more often than you'd think but I'd buy her again in a heartbeat.

This is purely anecdotal though so take it for what it's worth.

Offline nutntoit

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 08:53:16 AM »
I payed $1500 for my Lab but he is papered, came with a health guarantee, and the breeder helped me with introduction to birds and gun fire.

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2019, 11:38:02 AM »
The question for you is what are your plans with this dog? Do you plan on entering this dog into competitions and doing a ton of training? Probably worth the $1500.
Do you think that you will hunt this dog 10 days a year if there are ducks maybe not worth the money? You can still find a nice dog for $500 for that purpose. I would go out to some of the retriever club training days and help out with those guys get to know them and let them know what you plan on doing. They should be able to steer you into the right homebred dog or awesome hunting line breeder.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2019, 11:44:08 AM »
I just looked and Whistling Wings has a new member meet and greet this Sunday in Monroe. I would join their group and check it out. You would probably leave that with tons of knowledge and a couple of leads on upcoming litters of $700 puppys to $2000.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2019, 12:43:35 PM »
I just looked and Whistling Wings has a new member meet and greet this Sunday in Monroe. I would join their group and check it out. You would probably leave that with tons of knowledge and a couple of leads on upcoming litters of $700 puppys to $2000.

It cant hurt you and its a free event.

Offline HaydenHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 10:07:52 AM »
Paid $1,250 for my choc female 8 months ago.  Good blood lines and health certs. This breeder produces black, yellow and chocolate and all pups go for $1,250.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 10:05:50 PM »
I probably shouldn't chime in, as the whole world of showing and trials is a bit of an affront to me and my redneck socioeconomic class.... and I've been involved in it before, I used to breed English Bulldogs, and had lots of exposure to show snobbery and the dogs associated. I have shirttail relatives who were into breeding Labs with letters, heavily, dozens of breeding dogs in their kennels, hired hands traveling to trials and shows. My Sister in Law bred Huskies and Labs for many years. I have plenty of input... but it wouldn't sway anyone with the prefix letters firmly in mind.

Best field dog I ever had, or have ever seen, I bought for $40. Purebred unpapered Lab. She could go on a widely spread triple retrieve, and I could stop her in the field 30 yards out and make her lie down and wait for another flight of ducks while holding duck 2 in her mouth, then upon release she'd finish #2 and got get #3, all by hand signals. She would fetch specific things around the house, not random things, the specific things I told her to fetch. She hated to play ball, but was fiercely aggravated with anyone or any dog who didn't take hunting as serious as death. She taught herself to circle out and hunt late season pheasants back towards me when we were hunting alone... she got frustrated when they'd flush 70 yards out and I didn't shoot, so she figured that one out on her own. She was amazing. Slightly narrow hips, but never damaged her, nor cost me a dime. Only injury she ever had was when she pulled a jaw muscle fetching a large goose that was crippled and fighting her.

Only vet money I ever spent on her was getting her fixed after one litter of cross breeds, and a heated pad when she got old. I'm not like most, I suppose, but I don't rush an animal to the vet every few days. She healed a few injuries on her own, never got sick, and went and hid from us to die.

Hands down the best dog I've ever seen or had... But, I was at a time in my life when I was able to spend an hour a day training her for almost her entire first year. Combination of instinct, ability, drive... and lots of training.

I have a higher bred lab (female) now, without letters, but with good papers... a lot of the same personality and intelligence. I haven't spent 5% of the time training her, but she's still a great field dog. Has the potential to be amazing, similar to above. Much more "textbook" build and health, wide hips, sharp as a razor. But unshown and untrialed. I just don't worry about that. That whole "world" becomes a place I don't want to hang around.

I have a friend with a stud with the same status. Ideally built. Hunts him more and trains him more. Gorgeous dog.

Our pups are exceptional. We've had one litter and we'll have more litters. But we'd never charge the crazy money. Just don't believe in it.

Being fully in favor of free enterprise, and believing in quality control in all fields of endeavor, I don't want to poop on what I used to always call the "Championed Out" dogs... But the reader of this thread shouldn't be given the impression that there aren't any other puppies out there that will be "good". Far from it.

Look at the parents. Ask questions. And the market will come to you.

Be prepared to train - HARD - for the first year, then maintain it after that. Biggest factor by FAR.

I apologize in advance for the offense that may be taken by the high-bred abbreviation crowd! Still appreciate you guys!

What is your trial and show experience? Have you done both?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2019, 02:54:18 PM »
So you have a pup. How much do you spend on training? I know the do it yourself owner cost is only time spent.
What about those who have to send a dog to a trainer?
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline KFhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • My posts do not reflect an official opinion of HW
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2019, 08:28:44 PM »
So you have a pup. How much do you spend on training? I know the do it yourself owner cost is only time spent.
What about those who have to send a dog to a trainer?

"I know the do it yourself owner cost is only time spent"

I beg to differ  :chuckle:

For my anyways!

3 remote DT launchers
Ecaller
pigeons + feed + coup
lines, leads, FF tables
pinch collars
bumpers
scents (no longer use)
stake outs

I don't remember what all else  :chuckle:

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2019, 10:11:25 AM »
Honestly like one guy said the cost of a pup is inconsequential in the over all life of the dog. our breeder is on the high end but i know they follow strict guide lines , and both parents are  are certified . I spent 2k plus $500 for breeding rights then two weeks later my mut tried to kill him so off to the vet for another $2500. now  1 .5 years later you couldn't buy him from me. he is like my kid . we recently got a female that was a from a opps litter as the mother was 9 months , we got a health guarantee and a discount on her at $1500. she has turned out to be a little sweetheart and at eight months i've never felt her teeth. Having a piece of mind about your pups health is worth a few extra buck to me.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2019, 12:20:59 PM »
I might be in the market for a pup soon, so it's nice to know what I need to save just to buy a pup.
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

.280 Ackley improved vs .28 Nosler by b23
[Today at 12:21:42 AM]

SPYPOINT Link micro thoughts so far by Mallardmasher
[Today at 12:13:24 AM]

Elk Countdown by Crunchy
[Today at 12:10:44 AM]

Chokecherry Jam/Jelly by Pegasus
[Yesterday at 11:41:06 PM]

Deer and or elk babies by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 11:35:31 PM]

Do you know these people? (Trail Cam Pics) Mt St Helens Area(more pics added) by Quaka Wacka
[Yesterday at 10:56:40 PM]

2 Bear Mounts (Packboard & Rug), 1 Hunter-(BlackRiver Tax.) by Miss Muzzleloader
[Yesterday at 10:50:57 PM]

Ever meet someone Famous out Fishing? by Boss .300 winmag
[Yesterday at 10:43:39 PM]

Bear down! by longtrails
[Yesterday at 10:36:39 PM]

Mt. View Unit by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:35:11 PM]

Hunting with your wife by redi
[Yesterday at 10:30:11 PM]

Small Round Rinhart Target by iRem
[Yesterday at 10:25:04 PM]

Idaho Commission Meeting by buglebrush