collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Opportunity To Comment On The Skagit WA Use Plan  (Read 4597 times)

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Opportunity To Comment On The Skagit WA Use Plan
« on: March 15, 2019, 06:17:42 AM »
In my younger days, I was near every weekend of the waterfowl season, walk-in tidal waterfowl hunter at the Skagit WA. Now in E. WA for a decade and a half, I still miss those days of reading a tide chart and getting out on the marsh. I would encourage all waterfowl hunters to attend this meeting or Email the Wildlife Area Manager (as I will). I would hope improved access for walk-in waterfowlers would be voiced by more boatless guys than just me:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/news/mar1419a/
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline kodiak10

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
Re: Opportunity To Comment On The Skagit WA Use Plan
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 08:14:44 AM »
I would really like to make it to this meeting. I had a lot of fun this season at skagit and also am a walk in guy. I hope more people will join us as well.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 07:34:06 AM »
This would be a good meeting to attend to voice your frustration with the state.  Them having this meeting shows the gears are turning and it will probably follow suit as League Is and HQ.  If this isn't stopped, next will be the Samish Unit in the next 5-10 years.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 07:39:45 AM »
Yeah, the pressure to "restore" these places will only increase as the new story line of native salmon being the only solution for Orcas is further developed and cemented.  WDFW is already tilted in that direction and increased pressure will certainly make it a department policy.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 08:12:59 AM »
The department owns another island next to farmed segment near Mill Town. Why wouldn't they turn that into salmon habitat instead of the farmed island that has improvements already done to it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 08:35:30 AM »
It is the direction they are headed.  They weren't forced to do the restoration, they chose to do it.  They are also choosing to not replace the access elsewhere, it's a huge net loss for waterfowl and hunters with a minuscule to nonexistent benefit to fish or fishermen.  It may even be illegal as they have used DG and PR money.

This is one of the problems with WDFW, they don't act on behalf of the fish and wildlife or the people that pay for the departments operations or even consider the best science.  They are acting to push an agenda which isn't consistent with their charter.  The result is feel good projects like "restorations" which destroy opportunities and habitat in hopes that salmon will use it.  They are willing to extract a huge cost to sportsmen on a remote gamble that it will move the needle on salmon.  Meanwhile, they roll over and play dead on proven techniques like hatcheries that the rest of the sane world uses to manage and boost salmon numbers.

I don't know if you follow them, but their YouTube just had a crazy video about how salamanders are helping with global warming.  That should say a bunch about where their loyalties and priorities are.

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2019, 02:36:39 PM »
Yep, another access point completely destroyed and not replaced with anything.  Hundreds of hunters will now move onto a more crowded Samish unit until they decide to flood that.  All of this done with little to no regard for the cost to hunters or what those millions could do in other uses like hatchery production.

They don't even mention the harm to sportsmen or include any letters or even mention any opposition, only including support from the local farming community. 

Chinook are truly becoming the Spotted Owl of the sea.  Just like with wolves, they will now harm anything (even other ESA animals) to do anything that has even a remote chance. 

If they did one of these and said, "let's give it 5-10 years and see if it works" before they went on the path of destruction, that would at least make sense.

Offline kodiak10

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 10:06:02 AM »
This meeting is coming up this Thursday, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 28, at the Padilla Bay Visitor Center at 10441 Bayview Edison Rd, Mount Vernon. Just thought I would post a reminder

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »
I kind of view the HQ grain fields in Skagit the same as I do the commercial corn complexes,in that they both concentrate ducks. If the island is flooded it will spread the birds out creating more opportunity on more acres. Saying it may benifit more hunters widespread.

Besides has any of these salmon estuary projects ever been stopped due to public comment?
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »
I kind of view the HQ grain fields in Skagit the same as I do the commercial corn complexes,in that they both concentrate ducks. If the island is flooded it will spread the birds out creating more opportunity on more acres. Saying it may benifit more hunters widespread.

Besides has any of these salmon estuary projects ever been stopped due to public comment?

No, the meetings are a formality (as explained by another WDFW staff member).  In the plan, they state they have held X public meetings and attach letters of recommendation but don't even mention any opposition. 

If they flood it, there is no guarantee it will hold ducks.  In the past, they had ponds and a variety of planted crops to attract and retain the birds.  If it floods, it is simply another piece of saltwater and I wouldn't bet the birds hang out there, especially after getting shot at. 

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 04:35:33 PM »
This year there was a extended late season where they closed all public ground to hunting and opened it up on private land to try and protect crops during that time. Where will they feed when they flood this piece?

Confucius

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 04:39:28 PM »
When I read the plan, there was no consideration given to either waterfowl or hunting.  In other words, they don't care, potential benefit to wild salmon was the only thing given consideration.

Offline PatoLoco

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 04:51:06 PM »

You compare public waterfowl management areas to private commercial corn complexes? That hold thousands of birds day and night for a good portion of the season? That you can only hunt if you pay big bucks? That don't let guys hunt past 10 or noon so they can rest the fields for the remainder of the day? C'mon this is public hunting ground we are talking about, where our tax and license dollars pay for habitat that gives any hunter in this state the opportunity to shoot a few birds on any given day of the season. If they flood this area you expect MORE opportunity on what acres exactly? Private ground? The middle of Skagit Bay? The cattails and canary grass that will take over?

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 05:04:09 PM »
Just trying to remain optimistic when they do flood it. The same birds will still be there foraging on native vegitation and seeds in the tidal current. Should be good hunting especially when cold. There will still be plenty of public land to hunt minus the grain.
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal