collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Commuter vehicle ideas  (Read 5963 times)

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Commuter vehicle ideas
« on: April 05, 2019, 07:48:48 PM »
I will be looking for a different commuting vehicle in the near future. I have driven an 01 Accord (4 cyl) for the last 15+ years. It has been a great car for commuting and running kids to sports and such. It has almost 250k on it and it is getting tired, not dead by any means but tired. I would not be opposed to another car but smaller SUV or pick up that get decent mileage would suit the next phase of my life better I think. I notice as I get older the seat in the Accord has gotten a lot closer to the ground as I enter and exit the vehicle. I have roughly 13 years of commuting left so I figure one more good vehicle will see me into retirement. I usually drive the diesel truck on road trips and hauling. I would prefer 4x4 but not a deal breaker.  80% of the time it will just be me but occasionally the Mrs. and I may take it someplace. So hope that is enough to get some ideas out  of you folks that have different rigs. Thank you.

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Commuter vehicle ideas
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »
Little Toyota Rav4 or I hate to say it but a Subaru?

Offline 3boys

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:55:22 PM »
Little Toyota Rav4 or I hate to say it but a Subaru?
I would never own another Subaru. Worst car I have ever owned. I would look hard at Kia. Have a couple as company cars. Comfortable and affordable. Great warranty. Toyota’s are great but pricey.

Offline Barbarossa13

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 08:56:04 PM »
I've been driving an 01 4runner for a year since we had our first kid.  Not as roomy as I thought they'd be on the inside, but one car seat behind the passenger seat is ok for now.  Only gets around 18 mpg but tows my boat on the weekends, and did awesome with all the snow we had a few months ago.  Never chained up and only put it in 4wd to get off our gravel road.  Biggest piece of advice I could give is to bring the kids with you when you test drive something.  If I had the car seat with me when I looked at the 4runner I may have passed on it, but it works for now.  Good luck with the purchase! 

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 09:00:53 PM »
We have talked about a Rav 4 but being a Toyota I assumed 20mpg? And yes, I feel the same way about a Subaru. They run forever but have always seemed gutless and as many times as I have been caught swearing about being "Subar Screwed" on Blewett pass I am not sure I could drive one  :chuckle:

Barbarossa, had a 90 4runner the wife drove for 20 years and almost 300K then bought her a new one. Fantastic rigs but mpg is not good. Not far off the top of the list (still have studded tires and chains for one) and if all SUVs get 20 that is where I will likely end up cause they are great in every other way.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 09:34:02 PM »
Never thought we'd own a Subaru.

My wife got one 2 years ago.

We love it.

I love AWD.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Westside88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 09:34:28 PM »
Are you looking for a new vehicle? We just bought a Honda Pilot and it’s getting 26 on the highway,very happy with it. If I was looking to commute in a smaller suv I’d take a serious look at the Honda CRV

Offline Pnwrider

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 10:02:02 PM »
What is your budget? How far is your commute? Are you most concerned with fuel efficiency? Do you want a car or suv? Need more details on what you like/want.

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 12:33:28 AM »
Ford Escape hybrid. 185,000 and ticking. 26-28mpg 4 wheel drive when I need it.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2019, 04:52:12 AM »
Never thought we'd own a Subaru.

My wife got one 2 years ago.

We love it.

I love AWD.

:yeah:

We are selling our 2005 Forester after getting a Highlander for something bigger.  The subaru is one of the best cars I've ever owned.  Good ground clearance, easy maintenance, sure-footed, top safety pick.  No regrets.

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2019, 06:19:05 AM »
I drive an 06 Lexus RX and love it for commuting around. I can drop the seats if needed for more storage room, but it rides real comfy, good gas mileage, AWD, and there are plenty on the market that we're lightly used by soccer mom's.
It's just a fancy Toyota at the end of the day so mechanically it's been great and I expect to go over 200k miles with it. Parts can be slightly more expensive, but if you've got a good mechanic it ain't bad at all.
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 07:13:31 AM »
Depending on what you want (car or suv), budget, and mileage you are driving, you might look at Electric. The new Leaf, Bolt, a variety of others, and of course Tesla. The get up and go in Electric is amazing and you'd be shocked at the gas savings.

Online teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2019, 08:30:51 AM »
How many miles a day do you drive? From and to? I’ve commuted from Cle Elum for 12 years. My go to is Toyota Tacoma 4x4. Change oil and go. 300k on one only major issue was wheel bearings at 200k. Pretty cheap fix. I have 4 of them. You also will have a good off road hunting rig. You can’t go wrong imo.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2019, 09:03:21 AM »
ive been commuting the last 11 years and cross the pass twice a day. def subaru for me. im on my third one. i run them to about 250k then get another. i get about 31 mpg in this new one. most of the newer ones have chain timing belts and the head gasket issue was fixed in 08. awd, throw a set of studs on for half the year and youre good to go. a car is a car to me, i get what i need to fulfill the purpose i have for it. not having to chain up ever was one of the key reasons i went subaru, and the gas mileage. good luck in your search.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2019, 09:47:22 AM »
Sounds like a Subaru is what you need. I've had mine for five years now. 65,000 miles and I've done absolutely nothing to it except change the oil and the air filters. Never owned such a trouble free car. The AWD is awesome. Only downside is the gas mileage. Used to get right around 30, but then I put Yokohama all terrain tires on it and now average about 26.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]