collapse

Advertisement

Poll

How do you feel about this years draw and draws going forward?

Great! This is the year I’m drawing a tag and look forward to this time every year!
54 (24.1%)
I’m in but don’t think I’ll draw. Next year should be better!
21 (9.4%)
I’m in but only because I have so many points... doubt I’ll draw...
89 (39.7%)
I was feeling good until I seen the quotas... I’m thinking about applying.
20 (8.9%)
This is my last year if I don’t draw...
7 (3.1%)
I gave up already and no longer apply.
33 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 224

Voting closed: May 24, 2019, 09:51:15 PM

Author Topic: Who’s excited for the WA draw? Poll  (Read 12594 times)

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Who’s excited for the WA draw? Poll
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2019, 07:30:24 AM »
just a formality for me anymore great if I draw, but I sure dont rely on WA draw for anything great.
  :yeah: but with that said, I've never been on a bad permit hunt.  You draw a tag, you are gonna have a good hunt.

As long as you put in serious effort.

I've seen a lot of complaints about crappy permit hunts.  The few I have been on have been amazing though.
yes I was gonna say that but some people get very offended when their effort is brought into question.  I've had permits the same year as others on here and we've had vastly different experiences :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2019, 07:32:44 AM »
just a formality for me anymore great if I draw, but I sure dont rely on WA draw for anything great.
  :yeah: but with that said, I've never been on a bad permit hunt.  You draw a tag, you are gonna have a good hunt.

I've seen a lot of complaints about crappy permit hunts.  The few I have been on have been amazing though.
yes I was gonna say that but some people get very offended when their effort is brought into question.  I've had permits the same year as others on here and we've had vastly different experiences :chuckle:

Hopefully all the offended keep slacking in the killing department
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2019, 07:33:05 AM »
 :bash:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2019, 07:48:30 AM »
Just starting the points game but I'm optimistic about getting drawn. Put in for a few draws last year but all of them this year. May take me several years but I'm with Karl. I don't see the point of submitting for points only. Heard too many stories about people being drawn with little or few points. You bet if I get drawn my focus will be to capitalize on that draw and learn everything I can about that unit. Started out bird hunting when I got my first shotgun in '13. Shot my first deer in '14 borrowing my brothers rifle. Bought a bow in '16. Got my own rifle in '17. Muzzy in '18 and successfully filled my first deer tag on a solo hunt last year after getting drawn for MS deer with no points and hunting all three weapons.  :IBCOOL: To excited (naive) to let the odds get me down. I love turkey hunting but this big game hunting is starting to get fun!

Plus, its easier to sell it to the wife that I "must" to go hunting if I have some Special Tag  :chuckle:
Keep Calm Gobble On

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2019, 07:54:23 AM »
Can't win if you don't play and even with low permit numbers there will still be winners
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2019, 08:00:22 AM »
Can't win if you don't play and even with low permit numbers there will still be winners

Karl, are you a shill for the WDFW?  :chuckle:

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: May 02, 2019, 08:07:03 AM »
  I came to terms a long time ago that I would probably never draw a OIL or a Quality tag but had really thought that I would eventually draw a Bull permit.  Now with roughly 1/4 of the permits that were available just 4 years ago its looking like I may never draw that tag either.  I personally think that reducing bull permits is not going to solve a single thing.  Besides all the other issues they should of first eliminated every single antlerless permit.  If herd growth was wanted thats what would of happened.  Everytime you kill a cow you are reducing the herd by 2 and its exponential over the years.  All they have done by eliminating bull permits is allow more natural deaths of older bulls and left more for the natives. 

Offline Buzz2401

• Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2019, 08:08:02 AM »

Karl, are you a shill for the WDFW?  :chuckle:
I just see a glass half full kind of guy nothing wrong with that.

Offline Buzz2401

• Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2019, 08:08:50 AM »
Oh and ask him how many times he has drawn a Quality or regular bull permit in this state lol  lucky

Online Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2019, 08:25:27 AM »
Oh and ask him how many times he has drawn a Quality or regular bull permit in this state lol  lucky
yep two points last year! If I had the same glass half empty attitude and just said screw it that 13 bucks is just too much I never would have drawn that tag.  It was a great hunt too :chuckle:

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2019, 08:53:15 AM »
I'm spending my WA draw money on an OTC reduced spring bear in Idaho.  Two full months of spring bear plus helping predator control is so much better than wasting the same money year after year on a doomed State.   :twocents:

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2019, 09:20:52 AM »
I have come to realize that I am an odd combination of being generally optimistic, but not very lucky.  I moved back to Washington State after 10 years in the Army and started building points in 2001.  Have never drawn a quality tag.  But every year I honestly think "This could be my year.."

That being said... I started hunting Idaho two years ago and have started building points in Wyoming.  I used to hunt the general elk season here in WA, but now use my time to hunt ID instead.  If I draw a good tag, I'll hunt WA.  As a teacher I get almost no time off in the fall.  Gotta go where the animals are...
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2019, 09:57:33 AM »
I always buy the permit apps. Odds are slim and worse this year for permits but I still lay down a Jackson for the MegaMillion drawing every time it is close to five hundred million, too.

Offline trapper

• Pilgrim
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2019, 09:58:48 AM »
I am done

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »

Please don’t forget.....others may not be able to hike in miles or do steep and deep. Hunting the best they can, I applaud them no matter what their skill level/physical abilities are.  :twocents:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw