collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The chance at a chance (drawing odds/%)  (Read 12368 times)

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: The chance at a chance (drawing odds/%)
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2019, 12:27:43 PM »
Not to mention if you don’t live long enough to draw a tag.  Our state Takes the point you payed for. 🤬
Would be nice if I die before I get to hunt anything good maybe I could pass them on to one of my children or grandchildren. I did pay for them and it clearly says your points on line.

You are right you applied for a permit and received a point to increase YOUR odds in future years. There was never any promise that anyone else would benefit from that. You haven’t applied for your tags to increase your child or grandchild’s odds.   :twocents: if you would like your children or grandchildren to benefit from your points then apply as a group with them.

Or put your money in a college savings plan so your grand kids can afford college.  That way, they'll make enough money to buy an out of state elk tag and they'll actually get to go elk hunting!

Offline walleye1

• Hunter
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2019, 01:57:00 PM »
For deer and elk just make  everything thing a draw! All general hunt seasons unlimited numbers. That would thin the points down in a hurry and if you wanted you would be able to hunt ever year. But everyone wants to trophy hunt,hunt every year,hunt cows and does ect. That is the problem.

Offline CarbonHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2019, 08:26:53 PM »
I did a little reading on WAC 220-412-080, I recommend that everyone read this regulation.  The first line is the commission may establish special hunting seasons. Just like the “conflict goat tags” that disappeared and all the points you had for that category. At anytime the wdfw can completely drop this shenanigan and all the points we have will be useless.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2019, 05:08:50 AM »

I’m 21 points deep on most categories - I don’t expect to draw any of the quality tags and really don’t have hope in OIL. But it’s the system we have and it’s an opportunity I am not going to pass.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline polishstunner

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2019, 06:52:37 AM »
Nevada requires all tags go in the draw...for all units.

Everyone there seems to like it. They have the same pt structure as us, but seems to have a better managed herd as well.

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2019, 07:50:44 PM »
 I have hunted WA. my whole life and have drawn some killer tags in years past. At this point SW WA. is a joke for elk. the Toutle unit has to be the worst quality unit in the state. The Winston unit used to be loaded with elk, now game trails are non-existent and grown over. The same for most of SW Wa. Between ridiculous amount of cow tags ,to liberal seasons in the firearm restricted units and hoof rot. the party is over. I keep reading the same story on this site about eastside doe tags and dwindling herds. Our game department is out of touch and moves at a snails pace to adjust to trends. You can take your kids elk hunting in Idaho cheaper than you can in Washington. Throw in a couple of Weyerhauser permits and do the math. Fresh out of Seattle, Washingtonians are not hunting as much. Yes they are, just not in Washin gton. Check out Oregon controlled hunts, tags and apps. You will be shocked

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2019, 01:08:27 PM »
My daughter has 9 youth moose points and I didn't put her in for the 1 tag. I did put her in for the bull tags and the regular antlerless tags. But the youth category is a joke with only one tag.
it is a joke but it's only 3 dollars for a chance to draw.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »
My daughter has 9 youth moose points and I didn't put her in for the 1 tag. I did put her in for the bull tags and the regular antlerless tags. But the youth category is a joke with only one tag.

I know it's only $3 but it's not about the money. In 2017 there were 18 youth moose permits. Approximately 1,800 applicants, for odds of 1 in 100. Now, only 1 youth permit. Same number of applicants, so odds of 1 in 1800. Maybe I'll buy her a couple raffle tickets instead.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2019, 01:17:20 PM »

I know it's only $3 but it's not about the money. In 2017 there were 18 youth moose permits. Approximately 1,800 applicants, for odds of 1 in 100. Now, only 1 youth permit. Same number of applicants, so odds of 1 in 1800. Maybe I'll buy her a couple raffle tickets instead.

Im all for youth hunting opportunities, but 18 cow moose permits for youth? Im glad they cut it.  I personally dont think there should be any antlerless moose permits unless we get our predators firmly under control.  All of them.  Wolves, bears, lions.  All moose killers.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2019, 01:23:05 PM »

Im all for youth hunting opportunities, but 18 cow moose permits for youth? Im glad they cut it.  I personally dont think there should be any antlerless moose permits unless we get our predators firmly under control.  All of them.  Wolves, bears, lions.  All moose killers.

I don't have a problem with them cutting the tags. But what I find ridiculous is still having one tag, so they can continue selling applications in the youth moose category. They should just do away entirely with that category.

In fact, IMO there should only be one category- MOOSE. Bull tags and cow tags all in the same pool. And draw a cow moose tag and that should be your once in a lifetime moose.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2019, 01:25:26 PM »
Yes, still having one permit is ridiculous.  Theyre quite transparent.  They know we dont need cows getting killed, so they cut 17 and leave just 1, knowing they can still collect basically the same amount of money.

Offline msg

• Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NA
« Reply #86 on: May 26, 2019, 08:33:20 AM »
Yes, I know you can't win if you are not in. That's why myself and thousands of others are still in. I have been blessed in the past in this game. Several quality elk tags and an OIL moose will keep the hook set. What I am curious about is the points that I have been awarded that I have not applied for ? Over 65- 9PTS. Not 65 yet. Disabled 9pts, not disabled yet. Also have others. Seems to be marketing 101. One other thought on raffle tags. A lady that I purchased my opportunities to participate, stated that two individuals had come in and dropped 10,000$ on raffle tags. If I had that kind of cash, I believe that I would be hunting somewhere really cool. I would not have to worry about some lucky dude with one raffle tag beating my ass out !

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #87 on: May 26, 2019, 09:07:15 AM »
Your points in the extra categories are from when they split it up and gave you the same number of points in all new categories that you currently had in existing ones. You probably have youth points you will never get to use also

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]