collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New muzzleloader ?  (Read 9719 times)

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: New muzzleloader ?
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2019, 07:20:01 AM »
But muzzleloader powder is by volume, smokeless by weight.
Nope same.  Either can be dispensed by volume (typical for both) or weight. 

Offline Gunfire

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2019, 06:39:42 PM »
I started off with a CVA Elkhorn about 6 years ago and promptly ate a cow tag because it didn't fire when I pulled the trigger. The following year I ate an any bull tag in Rimrock from the same issue. I couldn't say if it was 100% the CVA's fault or if I was partially to blame due to the learning curve of going from modern to muzzy.

Anyway, I upgraded to a Knight Ultra-lite and have killed bucks with it 3 years in a row. Never ever misfires. I started using 209s in it last year.

My son has a Knight Bighorn which is also an excellent choice. It is a bit heavy compared to the Ultra-lite but has never failed to shoot when you pull the trigger.

Can't go wrong with a Knight.
A day without blood is like a day without sunshine.

Offline bkaech

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2019, 09:34:08 PM »
My cva optima has never failed, only a few slight hang fires after some very wet days. My brother has a night, I think it’s a bighorn. He has had 2 misfires on different bulls. His only chances in 5 years. I’ve killed 3 bulls in 5 years and missed (cause I’m an idiot) a bull my first year hunting the muzzy season. I also shoot it quite a bit in the off season.

Offline craigapphunt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2019, 01:55:47 PM »
cva optima 209 ignition maybe 100 shots no problems so far.

Offline Jellymon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2019, 02:20:52 PM »
Sombody at some point has had a misfire with every muzzleloader on the market because they either didnt maintain/clean it, failed to keep it dry, etc. Therefore there isnt a reliable muzzy on the matket worth buying and everyone should just go to modern. :tup:

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2019, 03:53:39 PM »
Sombody at some point has had a misfire with every muzzleloader on the market because they either didnt maintain/clean it, failed to keep it dry, etc. Therefore there isnt a reliable muzzy on the matket worth buying and everyone should just go to modern. :tup:

Yes but if you maintain the gun and keep it dry there should be no issues. Took a decent whitetail in 2016 in pissing rain with a traditional hawken style gun. Did not even have a cover over the percussion cap, however, I use remington caps because I believe they are more reliable and I never point the barrel up. Plus the opportunity in modern pales in comparison to muzzy.

Offline Jellymon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2019, 04:16:27 PM »

Yes but if you maintain the gun and keep it dry there should be no issues. Took a decent whitetail in 2016 in pissing rain with a traditional hawken style gun. Did not even have a cover over the percussion cap, however, I use remington caps because I believe they are more reliable and I never point the barrel up. Plus the opportunity in modern pales in comparison to muzzy.

Lol. I was responding to the people saying certain muzzys are unreliable because they know a guy who’s second cousins brother had a Knight misfire once so they aren’t as reliable. Sarcasm is hard to see in text I guess. Would one of these have helped? :chuckle:

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2019, 07:59:47 AM »

Lol. I was responding to the people saying certain muzzys are unreliable because they know a guy who’s second cousins brother had a Knight misfire once so they aren’t as reliable. Sarcasm is hard to see in text I guess. Would one of these have helped? :chuckle:

Well I get it now!  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand