collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: PTO Chippers??  (Read 6851 times)

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
PTO Chippers??
« on: May 11, 2019, 06:46:26 PM »
Anybody have experience with PTO wood chippers?  Working on thinning & pruning a few acres, prefer to chip the slash rather than burning.  Tractor has 35 HP PTO, so no problem there for the size I need.  Won't be chipping anything over 3 1/2" - 4".   I'd be interested in a used one if price, condition, and specs were right for me.  Renting doesn't appear to be practical.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: PTO Chippers??
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 08:37:07 PM »
A lot to think about.  Top or flat load?  Hydraulic feed?  There are some nice ones out there.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 08:44:03 PM »
Flat load and mechanical/hydraulic feed would be a priority.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 09:39:29 PM »
Tagging along  :tup:

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 08:07:57 AM »
The one thing I wonder about is that modern tractors generally use an electric PTO cluth and it is very much I/O, where the older machines allowed one to feather in the manually operated mechanical clutch.   

I guess one just get a high quality PTO slip clutch and let it do its job?

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 08:18:07 AM »
JD 830 with manual PTO 540rpm.  Here's a couple with hydraulic feed I'm considering.  I like the design of the Woodland Mills.  PTO w/sheer pin included.  Pricey, but it wouldn't take long to have that in rent.

https://woodlandmills.com/product/wc68-6-pto-wood-chipper/

https://betstco.com/hydraulic-feed-wood-chipper-fh-wcrf8/

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 08:26:06 AM »
I wouldn't think of the Bestco as flat-fed in that you have to lift the material up-over-and into to feed the beast.   The Woodland Mills does look to be a flat feed.

No matter what the manufacturer supplies, a slip clutch PTO shaft is always nice

Offline BDildine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/brian.dildine
  • Groups: TSC,, NRA Life, RMEF, PF
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 09:43:27 AM »
830 as in an old 2 cyl 830?
you'll be able to do a lot more than you think, them thing have torque for days
My family bought a mech PTO drive years ago, was used Primarily w a JD B, and now a model 40, 420 and similar
I dont remember the brand off hand (its blue), but we've run more stuff through it than a normal person would. Been great. The only issue, if you can call it that, is splitting the machine every few years to send the knives out for sharpening. When it was new you could toss a 3" branch in the chipper chute, and it would pull it out of your hands self-feeding. Just have to clear out below the outfeed every 5 min or so (bottom discharge)
Also, it uses a 3 rib v-belt and a pulley system, so if something jams, the belt will slip (and smoke) but to my knowledge in 15+ yrs, havent had to change it
Hopefully all this helps

Offline BDildine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/brian.dildine
  • Groups: TSC,, NRA Life, RMEF, PF
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 09:46:08 AM »
Just remembered its a "Goosen" brand. Looks like this

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 11:32:22 AM »
830 as in an old 2 cyl 830?
you'll be able to do a lot more than you think, them thing have torque for days
My family bought a mech PTO drive years ago, was used Primarily w a JD B, and now a model 40, 420 and similar
I dont remember the brand off hand (its blue), but we've run more stuff through it than a normal person would. Been great. The only issue, if you can call it that, is splitting the machine every few years to send the knives out for sharpening. When it was new you could toss a 3" branch in the chipper chute, and it would pull it out of your hands self-feeding. Just have to clear out below the outfeed every 5 min or so (bottom discharge)
Also, it uses a 3 rib v-belt and a pulley system, so if something jams, the belt will slip (and smoke) but to my knowledge in 15+ yrs, havent had to change it
Hopefully all this helps

Newer JD 830 (1975) 3 cyl.  I want to leave the chips spread/scattered for compost, chute discharge best option for me.

"No matter what the manufacturer supplies, a slip clutch PTO shaft is always nice"  Thanks, Will be looking into this.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 12:09:57 PM »
The Australian made Bare Co. PTO shafts are quite nice in quality and ease of both installation and maintenance. They were carried by Washington Tractor a couple of years ago. I don’t know if you have a three-point quick hitch or not, but they sure are nice.

http://www.bareco.com.au/files-pto2002-index

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 01:50:17 PM »
The Australian made Bare Co. PTO shafts are quite nice in quality and ease of both installation and maintenance. They were carried by Washington Tractor a couple of years ago. I don’t know if you have a three-point quick hitch or not, but they sure are nice.

http://www.bareco.com.au/files-pto2002-index

I don't.  Got to set a limit somewhere.  Wife has been great on this little adventure.   :IBCOOL:  She is starting to raise her eyebrows.   :bdid: 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2019, 02:22:24 PM »
Your JD has a wet clutch PTO, the chipper has a sheer pin, you'll be fine without upgrading your chipper with a fancy slip disk shaft.   

Engage the chipper when the engine is at idle, feather it in if you can (depends on your adjustment on the PTO clutch) then throttle up to chipping speed. 
I think you have a brush hog, if you can spin that up to speed the chipper will be easy by comparison. 

As with all new PTO equipment..just make sure the PTO shaft is the correct length and doesn't bottom out when you raise the 3pt up making the shaft level with the output shaft.  That'll be your shortest distance on the PTO shaft.  If the shaft bottoms out (too long) it'll shove a massive ton of pressure into your PTO drive and could mess stuff up bad.  If anything I think your shaft will be too short (did I just say that?)  as your tractor is more of a class II even though it's HP rating is lower. 

Also make sure the shaft isn't too short, you want no possibility of the shaft flying apart when you lower the 3pt arms expanding the PTO shaft to its longest position.   I got a small PTO tiller that if I drop the tiller too low the shaft is fully extended and there isn't much room left so I need to get a longer shaft at North 40.  but I'd rather get a bigger tiller  :chuckle:

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 02:28:17 PM by KFhunter »

Offline M_59

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Hunter
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2019, 05:13:20 PM »
Odds are that the 830 has a continuous running pto clutch with a  dry clutch disk. Would only be wet if equipped with an independent pto.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2019, 05:41:16 PM »
Odds are that the 830 has a continuous running pto clutch with a  dry clutch disk. Would only be wet if equipped with an independent pto.

Thanks for the clarification and correction  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101