collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: PTO Chippers??  (Read 6857 times)

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
Re: PTO Chippers??
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 05:47:59 PM »
It is a continuous running pto.  Lever shift, pto engages with clutch before gear drive.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 08:53:46 PM »
So is the PTO always running if the clutch is out?   You have no way to drive the tractor without the shaft turning?   That could be a PITA.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 09:33:39 PM »
So is the PTO always running if the clutch is out?   You have no way to drive the tractor without the shaft turning?   That could be a PITA.
No, there is a lever to engage or disengage.  When it is in on position, the clutch must be fully depressed to disengage the pto.  The pto engages before the transmission drive train.
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 10:24:44 PM »
My Dad an older Kubota like that with a 2 stage clutch. 

press the clutch pedal in 1/2 way and the drive train stops but the PTO keeps going, keep pressing it down further and the PTO disengages.  There was a stopper you could flip over so you couldn't press the clutch into the PTO side if you didn't have anything hooked up.   

I prefer that design for things where I might need to disengage the PTO quickly, like hitting something with a brush hog that stops the blades or plugging the swather/baler.   You always step on the clutch first thing anyways, so it worked out well....  *BAM!*  stomp the clutch to the floor and everything is stopped.

Now I've got a small lever hidden back behind me that I have to fumble around trying to find quickly while things are smoking  :rolleyes:

I rebuilt the older 70's Kubota two stage multi disk clutch, it was expensive and the tolerances were tight when measuring the gap to get the two clutches disengaging at the right time but it ran perfect when I was done.  If the gap was too big the drive train clutch would slip, gap too tight and the pto side wouldn't disengage.  It was fun, enjoyed fixing that  :chuckle:

Offline Knocker of rocks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 07:21:39 AM »
No, there is a lever to engage or disengage.  When it is in on position, the clutch must be fully depressed to disengage the pto.  The pto engages before the transmission drive train.
My Dad an older Kubota like that with a 2 stage clutch. 

That'll be fine for a chipper, you'll be able to bump and feather the big heavy disc just fine.   And you will be OK without a PTO slip disc.

I've never heard it refered to as a continous PTO, I've heard it refered to as non-live or transmission PTO, but I see that Deere, thence TractorData refers to it as continious too. That is exactly what I have in my 1983 YanDeere 950, along with the two stage clutch that KF mentioned (although mine has never really worked as such).

The slip PTO shafts are most needed with the electronic clutches of modern tractors with live PTO systems.   There you don't really have an oportunity to feather the clutch, the best you can do is bump it on and off a couple of times and then hang on.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 08:09:42 AM »
 :yeah:

My newer tractor is an in or out kinda deal too, I can kind of feather it in but its an aggressive engagement.   I throttle way down, sometimes to idle if it won't kill the engine, then throttle up after its spinning everything. 

brush hog is the worst to spin up

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 06:02:20 PM »
Went all in today.  :tup:  I'll be able to give a review on the 6" Woodland Mills in 2 - 3 weeks after I run a few trees thru it.   :tree1:  If it works as good as I hope it will, I'll be taking bulk orders for sausage in the off season.   :cue:   :chuckle:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 06:52:37 PM »
Nice!

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2019, 11:33:19 AM »
 :drool:Sitting waiting for freight truck now.

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 08:03:55 PM »
Bring this back up for a review.  So I got the Woodland Mills chipper and have put well over 100 hours on it to date.  It will take anything you can throw into the 6 x 8 throat.  Keep the blades sharp and one person can't feed it too fast.  Small, green, and wet will be biggest problem material.  7 acres done, and lined out on next five.  Delivery and service is over the top.  :tup:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 08:07:55 PM »
Bring this back up for a review.  So I got the Woodland Mills chipper and have put well over 100 hours on it to date.  It will take anything you can throw into the 6 x 8 throat.  Keep the blades sharp and one person can't feed it too fast.  Small, green, and wet will be biggest problem material.  7 acres done, and lined out on next five.  Delivery and service is over the top.  :tup:

nice review!  You been working hard man  :tup:

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2022, 04:43:16 PM »
Hey Ghost Hunter, still happy with your Chipper?

Toying with getting something similar this season or possibly next
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2022, 05:31:24 PM »

Pics?🤔
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2022, 10:31:12 AM »
Interesting see this pop back up.  Just got a call from my DNR rep this morning.  Sounds like they are ready for more projects post cocid.  Will be gearing up for another run with the chipper.  Might order a set off blades, and look for best places to sharpen the two sets I have.  I used it for a little cleanup last year.  Old dry stuff doesn't work well.  Pieces get hung up.  Also cedar branches need sharp blades to keep it from stringing and clogging.  Let them lay several weeks.  I can look for pictures but Woodland Mills has good video on their website.  I couldn't have made a better investment.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2022, 11:11:10 AM »
great to hear!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal