collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 20 days in Africa  (Read 2969 times)

Offline longrange7mm

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
20 days in Africa
« on: May 20, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »
Just got home last week from 20 days in Namibia. What a blast, although I don't think my next trip will be so long. That was hard on the checkbook. We went over for mostly plains game although one buddy tried for a leopard with no success had several come in but couldn't get a shot.  Another buddy slipped away for an awesome opportunity for another type of big cat and found success coming one species closer to his big 5! (sorry cant share pics yet) I had a great trip in all and ended up with all the trophy species we went over for plus some.

The hunt was pretty action packed from the time we arrived to the morning we left. Started out we booked 2 non hunt days so we could relax after the 2 days of flying. That came to an abrupt halt as we were driving into the lodge and a 9-10" warthog ran across the road. looked similar to a yard sale on the Kalahari as we tore apart our gear and luggage trying to unpack guns and ammunition  :chuckle: by the time we got our stuff together he was long gone so we finished the drive into the lodge and unpacked thinking that was fun our Ph said well grab your stuff I will go get the boys and get them on his track. One thing I learned very quick is Africa is a very target rich environment as I was the first to trip the trigger an hour after arrival on a beautiful blue wildebeest we found while looking for the warthog. Shortly after that we came across a 38.5" gemsbok and my buddy jumped on the gun. needless to say the rest of our days continued on like this.
After 10 days we had pretty much harvested most the animals on our lists and our Ph was impressed with our shooting well enough he invited us on a cull hunt with a few guys that make a business of it.

We lucked out and one of the ranches wanted 20 big culls (gemsbok or kudu) and 50 small culls harvested (springbok or impala) and they had no size restrictions other than adult culls that day was unbelievable we ended up with 3 trophy gemsbok a 39" & 41" bulls and a 46" dry cow and a 55" kudu out of the 3 of us that went on the cull we ended up with 2 Roland ward springbok each. Unfortunately the Kalahari is in severe drought and the ranchers don't have enough feed for the game and there cattle or sheep so the game is the first thing to go. On the plus side there is a great game meat market in Namibia and the farmers will make some money off harvesting the animals instead of just letting them die. It was very interesting to see how the cull hunt was put together by the guys that do it for a living. They are buying the animal from the rancher and then they process the meat for market and make there money there. Obviously this added a twist to the hunt because it was head or upper neck shots only or you payed for the animal!

After the cull hunt we then again got invited to do something that isnt in the brochures and it was honestly the coolest part of the trip. We got to go on a game capture using a pickup a four wheeler and a greyhound. after the capturer would single out the animal from the herd the pickup would move in then release the dog. although the truck I dont think ever got below 30 mph the dog would jump out roll get up and chase the animal that the capturer was haising in with the four wheeler the dog would heel the animal and take it down then hold it by the throat until the capture was on top of it. This process is far more dangerous than the new method of a big corral and a helicopter but par for me I find the rowdier crowds  :chuckle:.
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: 20 days in Africa
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 03:03:23 PM »
sounds like you had awesome time  great gemsbuck one of my dream animals

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 03:12:16 PM »
It was a great time Im trying to get more pictures uploaded but my internet is deathly slow
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:15:08 PM by longrange7mm »

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 03:33:15 PM »
Sweet pictures!
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 03:38:20 PM »
A few kudu, the day before we flew out some of our friends flew in and hunted the week after we left so I will add there pics too all the bulls are between 55 and 58 the broken bull is 60
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:07:05 PM by longrange7mm »

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 03:43:33 PM »
beautiful kudu second dream animal if ever get over there

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 04:20:19 PM »
We ended up finding some warthogs as well
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:26:24 PM by longrange7mm »

Offline bowhunterforever

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 04:51:08 PM »
Very cool :tup:
You sure you know how to skin griz pilgram

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 06:21:20 PM »
Great trip for you guys! Awesome pics too. 20 days is a long time over there for sure but well worth it.

Offline ljsommer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 06:39:00 PM »
This is an amazing writeup, I LOVE the pictures and stories! Including cost of shipping trophies home, what was your total spend on this trip if you don't mind answering?

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 07:44:31 PM »
This is an amazing writeup, I LOVE the pictures and stories! Including cost of shipping trophies home, what was your total spend on this trip if you don't mind answering?

Thanks it was incredible. Including plane tickets and shipping of the 11 trophy’s skulls and capes I’m in it 14k I haven’t got the exact total for the dip and pack yet but should be pretty close to my quoted price.
I harvested 28 animals total  11 trophy class and 17 culls
1- Black Wildebeest
1- Blue Wildebeest
1- Eland
4- Gemsbok
1- Impala
2- Kudu
1- Red Hartebeest
16- Springbok
1- Warthog 

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 08:19:23 PM »
Looks like a fun hunt.  Lots of trophies to mount.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 08:49:51 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Looks and sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime trip.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 09:16:21 AM »

Thanks it was incredible. Including plane tickets and shipping of the 11 trophy’s skulls and capes I’m in it 14k I haven’t got the exact total for the dip and pack yet but should be pretty close to my quoted price.
I harvested 28 animals total  11 trophy class and 17 culls
1- Black Wildebeest
1- Blue Wildebeest
1- Eland
4- Gemsbok
1- Impala
2- Kudu
1- Red Hartebeest
16- Springbok
1- Warthog

Sounds like an incredible trip! $14K is a lot of money, but actually sounds like a very reasonable price tag for a 20 day trip and the number/quality of animals taken.

Offline Bwana Bob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 09:48:07 AM »
Derik

What an awesome trip. I did not see your wife in the photos. I'm sure she would have added to the cost of your hunt by quite a bit.

I made 4 trips to Africa and it sure gets in your blood. My best trip was to Zambia where I shot a 38 inch cape buffalo and a hyena. We got chases by elephants cows and driving backward to get away from them was just as terrifying

Bob

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal