collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: IDF&G enters agreement to provide access to private timberlands  (Read 2791 times)

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
Re: IDF&G enters agreement to provide access to private timberlands
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:47:22 PM »
That's awesome!

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 04:47:33 PM »
“These agreements demonstrate Fish and Game’s continued commitment to putting money from the access/depredation fee to good use and provide hunters, anglers and trappers with access to private lands while compensating landowners for their support of those activities,” said Sal Palazzolo, F&G’s Private Lands/ Farm Bill Program Coordinator.

Wow. Good on Idaho.

I'm not sure, but I think ours all went to the wolf/mediation expert.

"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 07:05:15 PM »
 :tup:
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 07:17:58 PM »
 :brew:

Offline bornhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 09:50:03 PM »
 Could it happen here?

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Alan K

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • University of Idaho Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 08:13:06 AM »
Right on!

I could see it opening up some walk in access here in Washington, but not motorized. Too much garbage dumping and vandalism by the minority. That or the charge would have to be much greater per acre to offset the added cleanup/risk.

When we're over there for whitetails it always amazes me how little garbage there is. Virtually none. Idaho's litter signs read 'Idaho is too great to litter'. Washingtons are a threat of fines. Idaho just has better quality people over there than we have here.

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 09:10:34 AM »
$1 acre is top dollar, even for Washington.   The obvious stick (and leverage to get a similar deal) with big timber is that these companies are already being subsidized with tax breaks for providing public benefits.  If someone really pushed on that tax break angle, walk-in should already be free.  But nobody in the legislature seems to have the guts to challenge the tax break...so a few million dollars per year investment coupled with opening up select roads could work well. 

Another item to convince big timber to take a similar amount of money, is the fact that their "permit required for all entry" signs on gates are a huge bluff.  I have discovered that nearly all older mainline logging roads (in SW Wa) that somewhere hit state land have state easements on them. They really can't stop people from using those roads to get to state land anyway.   These old easements say nothing about "administrative use only" or "forestry use only".  They are simply easements for ingress/egress to state land.  Take the control of these roads and the public land they access away, and big timber has less monopoly power, and their price for access goes down. 

Offline CLARKTAR

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
$1 acre is top dollar, even for Washington.   The obvious stick (and leverage to get a similar deal) with big timber is that these companies are already being subsidized with tax breaks for providing public benefits.  If someone really pushed on that tax break angle, walk-in should already be free.  But nobody in the legislature seems to have the guts to challenge the tax break...so a few million dollars per year investment coupled with opening up select roads could work well. 

Another item to convince big timber to take a similar amount of money, is the fact that their "permit required for all entry" signs on gates are a huge bluff.  I have discovered that nearly all older mainline logging roads (in SW Wa) that somewhere hit state land have state easements on them. They really can't stop people from using those roads to get to state land anyway.   These old easements say nothing about "administrative use only" or "forestry use only".  They are simply easements for ingress/egress to state land.  Take the control of these roads and the public land they access away, and big timber has less monopoly power, and their price for access goes down.
Where can you find these recorded easements?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 11:55:36 PM »
 :tup:that’s great but we were already to hunt Much of that Timber ground mentioned for free in Idaho  :dunno: at the very least this will keep it free access so that’s great

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 08:55:16 AM »

Where can you find these recorded easements?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This link from a previous discussion has specifics on how to search for these easements. 
https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,232655.msg3141240.html#msg3141240

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »
Right on!

I could see it opening up some walk in access here in Washington, but not motorized. Too much garbage dumping and vandalism by the minority. That or the charge would have to be much greater per acre to offset the added cleanup/risk.

When we're over there for whitetails it always amazes me how little garbage there is. Virtually none. Idaho's litter signs read 'Idaho is too great to litter'. Washingtons are a threat of fines. Idaho just has better quality people over there than we have here.

Idaho has a huge commitment to trash dumpsters available for the public all over the place.... and they tip them.  Saves on the clean-up and tip fee anyway.  I wish Washington would give in and just make dumpsters available and then really crack down on slobs that litter the public spaces.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2019, 10:54:48 AM »
Awesome move by Idaho F&G!  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2019, 11:02:52 AM »
heck ya, I always thought dumps should be "free" and dumpsters put in everywhere for public use.  Stupid to encourage woods trash dumping!

As for WA timber lands I agree with carrot and stick method, threaten tax codes and incentivise public access!  Whatever it takes to Break the Gates! on cooperate timber grounds! 

We need to reach out to other access groups too,  REI types would go for that?   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal