collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Will you be done buying semi-auto rifles on July 1st?

Yes
26 (22%)
No
38 (32.2%)
Not sure
36 (30.5%)
Will buy them but not legally
12 (10.2%)
What???
6 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: June 09, 2019, 08:16:04 AM

Author Topic: Will you be done buying semi-auto rifles on July 1st?  (Read 22709 times)

Offline tritt007

• youngin
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Will you be done buying semi-auto rifles on July 1st?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2019, 11:00:35 PM »
Does this apply to semiauto shotguns too? I've been wanting one for a bit so I might have to pull the trigger on one if it does.

I'm no lawyer but from my understanding it only applies to semi auto shotguns if they come with a rifled slug barrel affixed . So if your buying a plain smoothbore semi auto no worries .
They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security  -Benjamin Franklin

Offline SGTDuffman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2019, 05:35:16 AM »
I build most of my “assault weapons”, so they’re sold to me as blank lowers which are not classified as rifles. Some even become pistols when I build them. So I guess it’s a yes and a no. I may have to go get a Marlin 60 before then though. Maybe a Nylon 66. Gotta get those last couple childhood guns before they turn into evil “assault weapons”.

Online follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2019, 08:55:50 PM »
I’m moving next year, so I’ll wait until then.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2019, 11:37:12 PM »
I know more than 2 patriotic Washingtonians whom have moved assets to Idaho... especially thier guns. Some of us will fight because we are too stubborn or pot committed. On everyone else will vote with thier feet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2019, 09:40:46 PM »
I took an overtime check and some extra and bought 10/22's for each grandkid I have. 
It's a pretty pathetic way to make law when people with no knowledge about firearms and guns can vote our rights away.

It's like being a hound hunter all over again.
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2019, 07:04:51 AM »
Last I heard it may not go through. sounds like some of the legal proceedings are going our way.
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Online TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2019, 09:52:29 AM »
What about normal bolt action rifles? Are you put on a list/registration if you buy one after July 1?

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2019, 09:54:56 AM »
What about normal bolt action rifles? Are you put on a list/registration if you buy one after July 1?

The new law only applies to semi automatic rifles.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2019, 11:19:30 AM »
Vote the idiots out who make stupid laws even though they have armed security..
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 01:06:39 PM »
all though because of the FBI no longer conducting courtesy nics checks there will be a 10 day waiting period on lowers and pistols regardless if you have a CPL or not .

An important detail about that to consider - up until now the waiting period has been a maximum time limit, meaning if the dealer didn't hear back from the various agencies within the allotted time, he was free to release the gun to the buyer. As of July 1 though, that provision is removed, so you'll have to wait indefinitely until the dealer gets the "proceed" notification. Given the swirl of confusion among the state agencies about how this will work, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a huge backlog and people waiting several months to pick up guns, rather than just 10 days.

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »

But our anti-gun AG is aware of them and has talked about banning 80% lowers. I would expect California style "ghost gun" rules to follow.

My local dealer told me that's already happened and will go into effect July 1 as well; that 80% lowers will be legal to own but illegal to purchase or sell.

Somebody please confirm or disprove that though; I hesitate to mention this sort of thing without confirming myself, but am not all that interested in 80% lowers so I haven't looked into it. If it's true, several of you guys might want to know about it.

I was also told that as of July 1, buying a semi-auto rifle (or maybe pistols, or any gun? some confusion there) gives WA state the right to conduct a yearly "mental health" check on the buyer. Do any of you want to confirm or disprove that in the actual law?
If true, that bit will be my main reason for not buying any semi-autos after July 1. Not because I'm nuts and would fail a fair and accurate mental health check, but because there is a lot of room for abuse when we go down that road.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2019, 10:16:34 PM »

But our anti-gun AG is aware of them and has talked about banning 80% lowers. I would expect California style "ghost gun" rules to follow.

My local dealer told me that's already happened and will go into effect July 1 as well; that 80% lowers will be legal to own but illegal to purchase or sell.

Somebody please confirm or disprove that though; I hesitate to mention this sort of thing without confirming myself, but am not all that interested in 80% lowers so I haven't looked into it. If it's true, several of you guys might want to know about it.

I was also told that as of July 1, buying a semi-auto rifle (or maybe pistols, or any gun? some confusion there) gives WA state the right to conduct a yearly "mental health" check on the buyer. Do any of you want to confirm or disprove that in the actual law?
If true, that bit will be my main reason for not buying any semi-autos after July 1. Not because I'm nuts and would fail a fair and accurate mental health check, but because there is a lot of room for abuse when we go down that road.

I can confirm the 80% lowers were outlawed, signed a couple of weeks ago by Inslee, a lot more was also signed in, gun owners have been taking a real beating in Wa.

Offline Windwalker

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2019, 02:41:20 AM »
It’s not a pleasant read. (Removed diatribe) See the link for clarification.

HB 1739 Relating to firearms that are undetectable or untraceable
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2019-20/Pdf/Bills/House%20Passed%20Legislature/1739-S.PL.pdf#page=1

Sec. 3. RCW 9.41.190 and 2018 c 7 s 3 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to:
(a) Manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, bump-fire stock, undetectable firearm, short-barreled shotgun, or short- barreled rifle;

(32) "Manufacture" means, with respect to a firearm, the fabrication or construction of a firearm.
(34) "Untraceable firearm" means any firearm manufactured after July 1, 2019, that is not an antique firearm and that cannot be traced by law enforcement by means of a serial number affixed to the firearm by a federally licensed manufacturer or importer.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 02:51:40 AM by Windwalker »
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »
Build your "Bolt action" uppers.

http://www.jlbillet.com/kalikey

I believe build not buy will be important. Additionally those of you with ARs separate the lower from the upper during storage and transportation.  Separated they should be considered parts. This seems to be some level of defense attempted in Cali.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2019, 11:41:31 AM »
It’s not a pleasant read. (Removed diatribe) See the link for clarification.

HB 1739 Relating to firearms that are undetectable or untraceable
http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2019-20/Pdf/Bills/House%20Passed%20Legislature/1739-S.PL.pdf#page=1

Sec. 3. RCW 9.41.190 and 2018 c 7 s 3 are each amended to read as follows:
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to:
(a) Manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, bump-fire stock, undetectable firearm, short-barreled shotgun, or short- barreled rifle;

(32) "Manufacture" means, with respect to a firearm, the fabrication or construction of a firearm.
(34) "Untraceable firearm" means any firearm manufactured after July 1, 2019, that is not an antique firearm and that cannot be traced by law enforcement by means of a serial number affixed to the firearm by a federally licensed manufacturer or importer.
Make sure to pay attention to the quote you posted.  Per the final approved bill Untraceable is not illegal.  They removed that parts during final recvision.  THey have defined it, but not made it illegal unless intended for sale.  Only Undetectable was added to section 1(a).  All changes are marked with underline in the linked PDF.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]