collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How well should i expect a scope to hold its zero  (Read 3111 times)

Offline Billy74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
How well should i expect a scope to hold its zero
« on: June 23, 2019, 06:33:10 PM »
I have a very basic 3x9 that came with my Ruger Axis (i believe Nikon) .  It always seems to be off by a few inches if i let it sit for 2 wks to a month give or take.  How long should i expect a decent scope to stay on target with normal use.  I don’t want to be sighting my rifle in everyday to feel confident but i couldn’t take this rifle out hunting and feel good.   I will be replacing it but on average how long should a good hunting rifle and optic stayed on target assuming its not dropped or otherwise missused? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: How well should i expect a scope to hold its zero
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 06:47:17 PM »
I have a very basic 3x9 that came with my Ruger Axis (i believe Nikon) .  It always seems to be off by a few inches if i let it sit for 2 wks to a month give or take.  How long should i expect a decent scope to stay on target with normal use.  I don’t want to be sighting my rifle in everyday to feel confident but i couldn’t take this rifle out hunting and feel good.   I will be replacing it but on average how long should a good hunting rifle and optic stayed on target assuming its not dropped or otherwise missused? 

It should never lose its zero unless bumped. Something is probably loose.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »
 :yeah:
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 07:25:32 PM »
Just the same as anything else. You get the quality you pay for. Not all scopes/optics are made to handle the firearm's recoil that they are mounted to.  Correct mounting pays huge dividends and if something is loose or not torqued properly...you'll have a POI that creeps around. My scopes/optics, all under $800, do not loose zero when bumped. Nor do they loose zero from sitting.
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 08:32:23 PM »

It should never lose its zero unless bumped. Something is probably loose.

:yeah:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 08:52:46 PM »
Agree, it should hold its zero.
I have a 30 year old Redfield Buckhorn 3x9x40 on a Ruger M77 MK II, 7MM, that was last zeroed in the early 90s. Still holds it's zero. And that is by no means a high quality scope.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 10:03:20 PM »
Savage Axis or Ruger American.

I am assuming a synthetic stock on either of those models?  If it happens to be a wood stock it could just be poorly bedded and getting pressure on the barrel as the wood swells or dries. Otherwise something loose or a bad scope.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:01:14 PM by j_h_nimrod »

Offline rodell

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 09:13:27 PM »
I have a scope that hasn't moved zero since 1972 and sees tremendous recoil. All that and it is a Redfield (a real one)!

There's a video around that shows the torture test that Nikon uses. It's pretty impressive and explains why many of the true big bore shooters rely on them.

I need just one more hunt and I'll be satisfied ... Really! Just one more...

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 05:20:44 AM »
Pretty much any of the Top Brand scopes (Leupold, Nikon, Older Redfield,) etc. esp the older ones should hold a zero, esp. if locktighted in place. A lot of the newer scopes are made in China or asia and don't hold a zero worth a crap, esp with the higher caliber recoils.

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 07:58:23 AM »
Ruger Axis ?????    If it was a scope rifle package, Id take it down and remount to proper spec....its just moving around, not having been installed correctly.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 09:39:24 AM »
Yeah, the combo pack scopes are pretty much worthless, I couldn't even make the one off my daughter's rifle work on a bb gun.  At a minimum, I would swap it for a Vortex Diamondback or the Leupold equivalent and you won't have that problem.

That said, if you clean it after every use, your first couple of shots may hit differently, but it sounds like that isn't what you are seeing.

Offline Lumpy Taters

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »
I had a old Simmons 3x9x40 on a 30-06 for over 20 years that kept its zero through all the torture a young man learning to hunt could dish out.  Replaced is with a new Redfield and that scope only lasted 2 seasons before it failed. I am currently running Nikon's on 4 different guns with a 7mm mag as the largest and I haven't had any problems with any of them.  I would check all the mounting hardware and be sure to use some name brand thread locker on the screws. If you are still having problems and think its the optics contact Nikon I hear their customer service is pretty good.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal