collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Carrying sidearm barrel length less than 4 inches while deer hunting?  (Read 3977 times)

Offline Ajj828

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
So I have a glock 43 and a concealed carry permit and was wondering if it was legal to carry this gun while I hunt. I would have to open carry it in my pack holster because my concealed carry holster gets in the way of my back pack hip belt. I would strictly use this for self protection from tweakers. Since the barrel isn’t under 4 inches am  I allowed carry it on my backpack holster? I’m assuming it’s not legal because technically the weapon is not concealed even though I have my permit.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
if I read the laws correctly you can open carry in Washington in any instance besides going into a federal building or an establishment that serves alcohol. 
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
Doesnt have to be concealed .....

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
Doesnt have to be concealed .....

:yeah:
In fact you don't even need a cpl to carry concealed while doing outdoor activities
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 08:08:01 PM by huntnfmly »
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
Yes, no issues.  The barrel length is irrelevant for archery deer hunting as you cannot dispatch a deer with a firearm anyways.   

The only thing relevant about a 4 inch barrel is if you carried during modern firearm season, you had a modern firearm tag, and you wanted to dispatch a deer or just shoot it you'd need that barrel longer than 4 inches. 

but for archery, irrelevant.   

If you're 21 or older the 'engaged in an outdoor activity' is irrelevant as you can already open carry in WA, but if you were 18 to 20 it would be important.

Offline grimace

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter

If you're 21 or older the 'engaged in an outdoor activity' is irrelevant as you can already open carry in WA, but if you were 18 to 20 it would be important.
[/quote]

Are you saying as long as your engaged in a outdoor activity, a 18-20 year old can open carry? I did a little searching but came up empty...

G

Offline SGTDuffman

• Scout
I don’t think that’s what he’s saying. You still have to be 21 to possess a handgun.   I think that’s the point he was making. As long as you doing outdoor stuff and of legal age to have a handgun, you’re good. The trouble starts if you’re not of age.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend

RCW 9.41.240
Possession of pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle by person from eighteen to twenty-one. (Effective January 1, 2019.)
(1) A person under twenty-one years of age may not purchase a pistol or semiautomatic assault rifle, and except as otherwise provided in this chapter, no person may sell or transfer a semiautomatic assault rifle to a person under twenty-one years of age.
(2) Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:
(a) In the person's place of abode;
(b) At the person's fixed place of business; or
(c) On real property under his or her control.
(3) Except in the places and situations identified in RCW 9.41.042 (1) through (9) and 9.41.060 (1) through (10), a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a semiautomatic assault rifle only:
(a) In the person's place of abode;
(b) At the person's fixed place of business;
(c) On real property under his or her control; or
(d) For the specific purpose of (i) moving to a new place of abode; (ii) traveling between the person's place of abode and real property under his or her control; or (iii) selling or transferring the firearm in accordance with the requirements of this chapter; provided that in all of these situations the semiautomatic assault rifle is unloaded and either in secure gun storage or secured with a trigger lock or similar device that is designed to prevent the unauthorized use or discharge of the firearm.

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.
*** CHANGE IN 2019 *** (SEE 1589.SL) ***
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(1) Marshals, sheriffs, prison or jail wardens or their deputies, correctional personnel and community corrections officers as long as they are employed as such who have completed government-sponsored law enforcement firearms training and have been subject to a check through the national instant criminal background check system or an equivalent background check within the past five years, or other law enforcement officers of this state or another state. Correctional personnel and community corrections officers seeking the waiver provided for by this section are required to pay for any background check that is needed in order to exercise the waiver;
(2) Members of the armed forces of the United States or of the national guard or organized reserves, when on duty;
(3) Officers or employees of the United States duly authorized to carry a concealed pistol;
(4) Any person engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of the person, if possessing, using, or carrying a pistol in the usual or ordinary course of the business;
(5) Regularly enrolled members of any organization duly authorized to purchase or receive pistols from the United States or from this state;
(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;
(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or
(10) Law enforcement officers retired for service or physical disabilities, except for those law enforcement officers retired because of mental or stress-related disabilities. This subsection applies only to a retired officer who has: (a) Obtained documentation from a law enforcement agency within Washington state from which he or she retired that is signed by the agency's chief law enforcement officer and that states that the retired officer was retired for service or physical disability; and (b) not been convicted or found not guilty by reason of insanity of a crime making him or her ineligible for a concealed pistol license.

It is my understanding that people 18 to less than 21 years of age can open carry a handgun under these certain conditions. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
I don’t think that’s what he’s saying. You still have to be 21 to possess a handgun.   I think that’s the point he was making. As long as you doing outdoor stuff and of legal age to have a handgun, you’re good. The trouble starts if you’re not of age.

Those who are over 21 do not need an exemption for 'outdoor stuff',  that exemption is specifically for those over 18 or under 21 years of age.  So that's why I said that 'outdoor stuff' law is irrelevant to those over 21yrs old.

So if you were an 18 yr old bow hunter, you could pack dads pistol with you on the hunt but it has to be according to general open carry law.

but you could not pack your friends pistol (who's over 21 and bought their own pistol) as they couldn't transfer it to you
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 11:26:35 PM by KFhunter »

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
To clarify you can shoot a deer in rifle season with a 4” barrel if you wished to? Or just dispatch a deer? Or must it be OVER 4”?

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Carrying sidearm barrel length less than 4 inches while deer hunting?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 10:30:22 AM »
has to be legal for hunting, which means 4" or greater.  more genius rules from this state, you can hunt elk with a 4" .25acp, but a 2.5" 44 mag is a no go.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 11:18:26 AM »
To clarify you can shoot a deer in rifle season with a 4” barrel if you wished to? Or just dispatch a deer? Or must it be OVER 4”?

There's no such thing as "dispatching" an animal in the eyes of WDFW regarding hunters, it's all just hunting. 

If you dispatched a deer with a pistol that was under 4" barrel length or less than .25 caliber then you'd face extra fines and seizures for hunting with an illegal weapon for that hunt. 
So you'd be better off "dispatching" with your hunting rifle, as its all just hunting anyways. 

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 04:19:09 PM »
whats the point, you have a rifle in your hands

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 05:27:42 PM »
whats the point, you have a rifle in your hands

Maybe your out of ammo cuz you had hole in your pocket.. It’s nice to know the law.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2019, 03:58:24 PM »

Those who are over 21 do not need an exemption for 'outdoor stuff',  that exemption is specifically for those over 18 or under 21 years of age.  So that's why I said that 'outdoor stuff' law is irrelevant to those over 21yrs old.

So if you were an 18 yr old bow hunter, you could pack dads pistol with you on the hunt but it has to be according to general open carry law.

but you could not pack your friends pistol (who's over 21 and bought their own pistol) as they couldn't transfer it to you

The exemption is for carrying concealed, which applies to everyone, regardless of age.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]