collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: rock chuck  (Read 3295 times)

Offline kisfish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: nra
rock chuck
« on: July 28, 2019, 08:20:44 PM »
Hello,
I am thinking of going rock chuck hunting or some other varmint hunting in march. I have seen a bunch in mountain home Idaho and the areas around there. I know it might be a little early in the year but thats when we can all get away. Anybody have any experience with rock chucks or maybe some prairie dog that time of year? open to maybe even Nevada. Thanks

Offline Windwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: rock chuck
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 02:30:55 AM »
Rock chucks and sage rats...
Lots of places to go but the only I’m familiar with is Burns Oregon.
Talked to a guy here a few years ago. Said he took 4K rounds of 204 Ruger and numerous guns to save barrels. I believe he went to S.D. for prairie dogs.
 Well that piqued my interest & didn’t get around to going until this year.
I can attest to the need for several guns, you’ll need em & we made a quick trip, only took 2k rounds & 5 guns. Shot steady for around 4-5 hours & returned. Had a few hundred rounds left.
You can google for the hunts or check out 204Ruger.com.

Lots of info on them. Warning though, it’s addictive.
https://204ruger.com/index.php?sid=c910d09225ec67e71e5d665f582fda69
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." -- Tom Paine
The hour is fast approaching, on which the Honor, Success and safety of our bleeding Country depends

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 10:47:10 PM »
Rock chucks and sage rats...
Lots of places to go but the only I’m familiar with is Burns Oregon.
Talked to a guy here a few years ago. Said he took 4K rounds of 204 Ruger and numerous guns to save barrels. I believe he went to S.D. for prairie dogs.
 Well that piqued my interest & didn’t get around to going until this year.
I can attest to the need for several guns, you’ll need em & we made a quick trip, only took 2k rounds & 5 guns. Shot steady for around 4-5 hours & returned. Had a few hundred rounds left.
You can google for the hunts or check out 204Ruger.com.

Lots of info on them. Warning though, it’s addictive.
https://204ruger.com/index.php?sid=c910d09225ec67e71e5d665f582fda69

:yeah: Or get ya a 10/22 and get in close.  Burns is the place to be for sage rats!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 10:04:20 AM »
Hello,
I am thinking of going rock chuck hunting or some other varmint hunting in march. I have seen a bunch in mountain home Idaho and the areas around there. I know it might be a little early in the year but thats when we can all get away. Anybody have any experience with rock chucks or maybe some prairie dog that time of year? open to maybe even Nevada. Thanks

Maybe a little early... or maybe not.  Definitely not a safe bet though.  Like fruit ripening, some years cherries are ripe in May, but not normally.  You probably will find a few chucks starting to come out every year in March, but not a lot of them. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal