collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho Commission Meeting  (Read 17253 times)

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Idaho Commission Meeting
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »
Hunters are a wealthy bunch. $60,000 trucks, expensive quads, toy haulers, sitka. The tag increase isnt slowing anyone down from playing.

Until it does.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2019, 04:24:59 PM »
At those prices elk tags will probably slow down a bit but it looks like they’re trying to reduce nonresident tag numbers to 5 year historical averages of resident numbers so they may still sell out. Deer tags I guarantee will still sell out at those prices.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2019, 11:16:59 PM »
The last time Idaho increased fees they only increased resident fees, non-residents did not get an increase. Most states do not have any discount for non-resident youth, even if Idaho raises the nonresident youth fees that is still a deal as compared to most western states where all nonresidents pay full NR fees. OIL species will get the biggest increase, but there are so many non-residents applying that the 10% quota for non-residents will likely be easily met. The only two unreasonable increases in my opinion are the bow/muzzy permits, and the elk tags. I would think doubling the permits is plenty and increasing elk by $100 should be adequate. Even still they are not really out of line on that pricing.
not entirely true dale. CO, MT, Kansas, and WY just to name a few all offer youth discounts to NR. Many more have steeply discounted license fees but full price tag fees but that can still add up to a good bit of coin.

Like I said before, as a guy who applies for EVERY western state these price increases get frustrating as I'm doing it all on an extremely limited budget but I get that Bill's need to be paid. Leave the kids and vets alone though. That's just pure greed plain and simple :twocents:

Yeah agreed, there are some states with discounts, Idaho would still have a discount for non-res youth but pricing will be closer to Montana. I'm sorry if it actually prevents anyone from hunting.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2019, 07:54:03 AM »
It still isn’t really that much for youth. If you can’t afford the extra couple hundred bucks make the kid have some skin in the game and go out and earn some of it on their own. Any kid that’s old enough to carry a gun out hunting is old enough to mow some neighbors lawns or rake some leafs for some extra money.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 08:43:45 AM by meatwhack »

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2019, 08:39:37 AM »
I generally dislike anything that escalates hunting further towards a rich mans sport...but its a tough case to make when we are talking NR price increases.  I sure don't like the big price jump for elk tags, but it won't have any influence on my hunting.  My philosophy aligns with the quote that is something like "Hunt while you can, you'll run outta health before you run out of money". 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2019, 08:44:25 AM »
I generally dislike anything that escalates hunting further towards a rich mans sport...but its a tough case to make when we are talking NR price increases.  I sure don't like the big price jump for elk tags, but it won't have any influence on my hunting.  My philosophy aligns with the quote that is something like "Hunt while you can, you'll run outta health before you run out of money".

That's what I use to tell a buddy that never had any money.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2019, 08:17:52 AM »
The last time Idaho increased fees they only increased resident fees, non-residents did not get an increase. Most states do not have any discount for non-resident youth, even if Idaho raises the nonresident youth fees that is still a deal as compared to most western states where all nonresidents pay full NR fees. OIL species will get the biggest increase, but there are so many non-residents applying that the 10% quota for non-residents will likely be easily met. The only two unreasonable increases in my opinion are the bow/muzzy permits, and the elk tags. I would think doubling the permits is plenty and increasing elk by $100 should be adequate. Even still they are not really out of line on that pricing.
not entirely true dale. CO, MT, Kansas, and WY just to name a few all offer youth discounts to NR. Many more have steeply discounted license fees but full price tag fees but that can still add up to a good bit of coin.

Like I said before, as a guy who applies for EVERY western state these price increases get frustrating as I'm doing it all on an extremely limited budget but I get that Bill's need to be paid. Leave the kids and vets alone though. That's just pure greed plain and simple :twocents:

In Montana a Youth combo is $533. IF they are hunting with a non resident relative who bought a deer/elk combo for 1065 can purchase for 533. How is Idaho out of line compared to that?

I've never been a fan of how high Montanas non-resident prices have been. Its the only reason I have not yet hunted big game there and chose other states instead. If Idaho goes through with these price changes, it puts them in a similar range to Montana. I'd probably still pony up the little extra money to hunt deer, but not elk.
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2019, 12:17:53 PM »

In Montana a Youth combo is $533. IF they are hunting with a non resident relative who bought a deer/elk combo for 1065 can purchase for 533. How is Idaho out of line compared to that?

I've never been a fan of how high Montanas non-resident prices have been. Its the only reason I have not yet hunted big game there and chose other states instead. If Idaho goes through with these price changes, it puts them in a similar range to Montana. I'd probably still pony up the little extra money to hunt deer, but not elk.

In Montana there is a legislative mandate that non-resident pricing shall go up or down based on how the licenses sell. This year demand has been higher for non-res licenses than in a long time, I expect another price increase in Montana in the next year or two, you might want to hunt MT before the price increases again.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »
The commission approved the agency proposed legislation requesting fee increases.  It now goes to the legislature for approval...can't imagine they will not pass this. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2019, 08:40:05 AM »
The commission approved the agency proposed legislation requesting fee increases.  It now goes to the legislature for approval...can't imagine they will not pass this.
Who thinks an increase from $93 to $553 for Non-resident Junior/DAV deer and elk tag/license is a good idea :bash:  Yes it was a great deal while it lasted.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:47:11 AM by ballpark »

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 09:00:46 AM »
Who thinks an increase from $93 to $553 for Non-resident Junior/DAV deer and elk tag/license is a good idea :bash:  Yes it was a great deal while it lasted.
I think you answered your own question...it was so far below market price that it would be almost negligent for them not to raise prices. 

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2019, 09:09:02 AM »
I think you answered your own question...it was so far below market price that it would be almost negligent for them not to raise prices.
if profiting off of children is the goal then yes you are correct. But once again I'll argue that in the long run you alienate future customers and further hurt the heritage of hunting. Our numbers are dwindling at an alarming rate but our fish and game agencies just keep doubling down. But hey screw those NR hunters who fund 90% of our game agencies that allow us residents low tag costs, and those NR that dump MILLIONS into our local economies  :rolleyes:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2019, 10:28:17 AM »
if profiting off of children is the goal then yes you are correct. But once again I'll argue that in the long run you alienate future customers and further hurt the heritage of hunting. Our numbers are dwindling at an alarming rate but our fish and game agencies just keep doubling down. But hey screw those NR hunters who fund 90% of our game agencies that allow us residents low tag costs, and those NR that dump MILLIONS into our local economies  :rolleyes:

Well said. Tons on resident hunters over there and most other states complain prolifically about non-resident hunters, while not realizing those same non-rez keep resident tag and license fees lower while providing huge economic boosts to the state. If you live in another state and complain about non-residents, you need to look at the broader picture and understand that non-residents should be one of your biggest allies. Our traditions and way of living are being jeopardized in so many ways as of late.  Also, many game departments have acknowledged the decreasing hunter numbers in recent years, but fail to create good solutions and simply worsen the problem with the ever increasing fees. Keep at it long enough and hunting will fail to exist.
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2019, 10:35:19 AM »
Idaho isn't any different than the other western states that offer good non-resident hunting that is in high demand.  The main problem they are facing is the respective state legislatures are cutting funding and the only real option they have is to get more from the users (hunters & fishermen).  If they slam the residents with an increase, pitchforks come out, so they hit the non-residents who don't vote or call their representatives.

Each state typically reviews the fees of other states when deciding on what to charge and justify that.  Thus, Idaho would say "hey, we are the lowest, look what other states are charging" and raise theirs.  This ends up being an upward ratchet effect as increases in one state are used to justify increases in another state.

Every time there is a big jump, people think it will result in fewer licenses sold and less money overall, but that hasn't been the case.  MT and WY have put forth big jumps in the last several years and they still sell the same number of licenses.  MT saw a very temporary drop, but they are back to being overbought and having to ration deer and elk.

So, morale of the story is that prices will continue to go up and we will continue to pay them for the most part.  I personally don't think that is the right solution, but my opinion doesn't matter.

Given the situation and solution, they could choose to take it easy on the kids as was mentioned and hopefully they consider the future when looking at prices.  Personally, I would rather pay a bit more to have more kids out there with tags.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2019, 12:01:52 PM »
I've said it like 2 or 3 times in this thread, I understand and accept NR tag increases. I understand more than most the ins and outs of these states systems. It's part of the game. We get to pick and choose where our money goes. Hitting the kid tags is just bad practice in any state. We need to be fueling their fire to hunt not dumping water on it. My kids are still gonna go out of state with me for a hunt a year, it just won't be in Idaho. I can buy a deer and an elk tag in CO for them for less money than a deer tag and license will cost in Idaho starting next year.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter