collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho Commission Meeting  (Read 17258 times)

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Idaho Commission Meeting
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2019, 11:45:19 PM »
Where this raise in price may backfire is in the sale of leftover tags.  And with the raise in price, there may be more of them to start with.  A lot of Idaho resident hunters buy leftover non resident tags for a second tag, after they tag out, at non resident prices, especially deer tags. A large raise in price could make many reconsider.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2019, 05:46:36 AM »
I think it is the sudden leap in pricing for youth tags specifically that is making folks bitter. Gradual increases are expected and make sense to keep up with inflation and/or fund programs related to the cost.

This feels more money-grabbing to me and that doesn't come from a sense of entitlement, just my perspective.

I do agree that non-resident tags are probably going to be easier to pick up later in the year and I'm not mad about that aspect of it. I wonder if that is the goal here? Same amount of cash coming in but having tags available unlike the last few years?
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2019, 06:01:53 AM »
but deer didnt really jump that much. The $80 archery fee is ridiculous

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2019, 07:32:19 AM »
The $80 archery fee is ridiculous

Agreed, my understanding is, it is a self inflicted pain requested by the archery folks many moons ago.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2019, 08:23:04 AM »
I think it is the sudden leap in pricing for youth tags specifically that is making folks bitter. Gradual increases are expected and make sense to keep up with inflation and/or fund programs related to the cost.

This feels more money-grabbing to me and that doesn't come from a sense of entitlement, just my perspective.

I do agree that non-resident tags are probably going to be easier to pick up later in the year and I'm not mad about that aspect of it. I wonder if that is the goal here? Same amount of cash coming in but having tags available unlike the last few years?
IDFG is going to start restricting NR elk tags in general units to 10% of the 5 year average...there are some popular units where NR's were getting 25-30% of the tags.  In order to make that revenue neutral, they are raising the prices.  So - the goal is not about having tags available for more of the year...its about reducing overall tags and NR hunters in the state and doing it in a revenue neutral way.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2019, 09:49:37 AM »
As a hunter who has lived in both states, and still hunts both regularly, I hate to defend any kind of price hike, but Idaho has been a "bargain" as far as western states go, especially with general seasons...it is now more in-line with other western states, but still offers an over the counter, general season tag unlike some neighboring (MT) states that you must get drawn for just to get a general season tag.

I don't agree with raising the youth or vet tags as that simply doesn't make any sense...those programs are not like general season purchasers...they are to get youth afield and to help get disabled vets afield, period. Why raise their prices? If anything give the disabled NR vet the opportunity to buy a lifetime resident license and offer resident tag prices...they became disabled defending our ENTIRE country, including Idaho. The kid from the Bronx, NY was injured defending the USA, not just the Bronx.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2019, 09:52:53 AM »
As a hunter who has lived in both states, and still hunts both regularly, I hate to defend any kind of price hike, but Idaho has been a "bargain" as far as western states go, especially with general seasons...it is now more in-line with other western states, but still offers an over the counter, general season tag unlike some neighboring (MT) states that you must get drawn for just to get a general season tag.

I don't agree with raising the youth or vet tags as that simply doesn't make any sense...those programs are not like general season purchasers...they are to get youth afield and to help get disabled vets afield, period. Why raise their prices? If anything give the disabled NR vet the opportunity to buy a lifetime resident license and offer resident tag prices...they became disabled defending our ENTIRE country, including Idaho. The kid from the Bronx, NY was injured defending the USA, not just the Bronx.

Grade
:yeah: :yeah:
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2019, 11:03:45 AM »
Why not extend  the benefit to any veteran?

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2019, 01:15:30 PM »
The commission approved the agency proposed legislation requesting fee increases.  It now goes to the legislature for approval...can't imagine they will not pass this.
Who thinks an increase from $93 to $553 for Non-resident Junior/DAV deer and elk tag/license is a good idea :bash:  Yes it was a great deal while it lasted.
I think you answered your own question...it was so far below market price that it would be almost negligent for them not to raise prices.
if profiting off of children is the goal then yes you are correct. But once again I'll argue that in the long run you alienate future customers and further hurt the heritage of hunting. Our numbers are dwindling at an alarming rate but our fish and game agencies just keep doubling down. But hey screw those NR hunters who fund 90% of our game agencies that allow us residents low tag costs, and those NR that dump MILLIONS into our local economies  :rolleyes:

Completely agree on the junior tags.  I've taken some of my cousin's out over the years, because their dad doesn't hunt.  There's no way it's happening at those prices.

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2019, 01:55:08 PM »
 :yeah:  I agree, Idaho is making a poor decision here. Anyone notice how almost all kids are addicted to tablets these days? If anything they should make it easier for the kids to get afield, resident or nonresident.  :twocents:

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #100 on: August 15, 2019, 04:00:20 PM »
Under exceptional conditions a big game hunter is fortunate to pull the trigger once every two years.

For many beginning youth hunters in today’s world of instant gratification, that’s an eternity.

I believe that states would be more successful in attracting and retaining youth hunters if there was greater opportunity and emphasis on small game and upland bird hunting. Unfortunately, much of the upland bird hunting opportunities that Washington and other Western states had 40 years ago have disappeared or been greatly diminished.

A good middle ground might be turkey hunting. Hunters usually see game, and have shots much more frequently than they would hunting deer or elk.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2019, 04:46:18 PM »
Under exceptional conditions a big game hunter is fortunate to pull the trigger once every two years.

For many beginning youth hunters in today’s world of instant gratification, that’s an eternity.

I believe that states would be more successful in attracting and retaining youth hunters if there was greater opportunity and emphasis on small game and upland bird hunting. Unfortunately, much of the upland bird hunting opportunities that Washington and other Western states had 40 years ago have disappeared or been greatly diminished.

A good middle ground might be turkey hunting. Hunters usually see game, and have shots much more frequently than they would hunting deer or elk.

Actually, what's needed it's longer seasons and Idaho provided that.  Much better experiences when you've got 7-14 weekends to deer hunt rather than 2.  Allows you to work around bad weather etc...

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2019, 05:45:53 PM »
I agree with both.  Duck hunting is great for kids as would be a 10 week youth deer season.

I would be happy to hang up my rifle if it meant more kids were drawn to hunting.

I have a 16 and 11 year old that are more grounded than most and I can tell you hunting and fishing don’t have the draw they did when we were young.  There are so many more things top of mind.

From my perspective, we are one generation from the history books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2019, 06:08:36 PM »
A number of folks are disappointed that Idaho is not more generously subsidizing non-resident youth and disabled veterans big game tags...having them pay ~1/2 price is apparently greedy of Idahoans.  However, I'm not hearing what sacrifices these same folks would like to see Washington make in the name of youth hunter recruitment and appreciation of veterans?

A few have stated that there is really no quality hunting in WA general big game seasons...but there certainly are quality hunts available.  So, why not set aside all quality elk and deer permits and all moose, sheep, goat tags and all current raffle and auction tags for youth (including non-residents - as there are kids in Idaho that would also like Swakane sheep tags and dayton bull tags)?  This would be at least 1,000 tags...and to be eligible you have to be a kid or a disabled veteran.  Obviously there would still not be enough tags to give to every kid and disabled veteran a hunt every year - but it would be much, much higher proportion of kids and disabled veterans getting quality experiences. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2019, 06:21:34 PM »
Non resident disabled veterans pay washington resident prices and non resident youth pay washington youth resident prices :tup:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter