collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolf euthanized following attack at Banff campground  (Read 5785 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Wolf euthanized following attack at Banff campground
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 09:57:35 AM »
To be fair, the camper was likely old and injured. Wolves are nature's cleaners.

I read it was a family that was attacked- a man in his 30's was injured, was camping with wife and two younger kids.He was injured protecting his family, the wolf attacked through their tent in the night while they were sleeping.

I was joking about the old and injured thing. Funny funny joke I did there. According to the report I read, he left his tent early in the morning, like 230 or something, and the wolf attacked him.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline crowinghen

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 12:42:59 PM »
To be fair, the camper was likely old and injured. Wolves are nature's cleaners.

I read it was a family that was attacked- a man in his 30's was injured, was camping with wife and two younger kids.He was injured protecting his family, the wolf attacked through their tent in the night while they were sleeping.

I was joking about the old and injured thing. Funny funny joke I did there. According to the report I read, he left his tent early in the morning, like 230 or something, and the wolf attacked him.

Over my head! Sorry!

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2019, 12:47:22 PM »
with 4 people attacked, isn't this a mass wolf attack :dunno:
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »
with 4 people attacked, isn't this a mass wolf attack :dunno:

Three or more injured before it's considered a Mass Chewing.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2019, 04:28:09 PM »
good thing that wolf got a hold of the dad and not one of those boys, or it woulda been trotting off with him.

It appears the family might be from S. California.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »
“This is a hard thing to post, since I haven’t fully comprehended that it happened yet. Last night, while sleeping in our tent in Banff  National Park, we were attacked by a Wolf.

It was like something out of a horror movie. Matt literally threw his body in front of me and the boys, and fought the Wolf as it ripped apart our tent and his arms and hands. We were screaming for help as he was fighting it and trying to save us, for what felt like an eternity (but I think was anywhere from 1-3 minutes). I laid my body on top of the kids and Matt pinned the Wolf to the ground and held open its jaw with his hands, and the Wolf started to drag Matt away, while I was pulling on his legs trying to get him back. I cannot and don’t think I’ll ever be able to properly describe the terror.

A guardian angel from the tent site next to us, who we later found out was named Russ, heard our screams and came over to our site and kicked the Wolf and it finally let go of Matt. They had to continue to throw huge rocks at the Wolf while we ran as fast as we could to Russ’ mini van to safety. It continued to follow Matt.

The rest of the night is a blur of EMTs, good Samaritans, waiting for treatment, no phone service and crying. But here we are in Banff hospital, where Matt’s puncture wounds, and lacerations on his hands and arms have been treated and he’s ok. We are pretty traumatized but ok. They  evacuated the campground and Parks Canada killed the wolf in the early morning today.

It could have been so so much worse, and we are just feeling so thankful that we are all still sitting here as a complete family. Matt is our absolute hero (I mean, way more than he normally was) and we are forever grateful to Russ who came to our aid and likely saved Matt’s life.

I love you Matthew- thank you for being our hero, a complete *censored*ing *censored* and for fighting with everything in you. 💗

Thank you for all the calls, texts and love so far. Flow all your good thoughts toward us in Canada, please! And, do us a favor and go give the people you love most a big kiss and let ‘em know.”
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2019, 10:07:10 PM »
Great, now I'll think about this under my tarp all September.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2019, 10:25:21 PM »

naw, just sleep with a pig sticker under your pillow

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2019, 10:33:39 PM »

naw, just sleep with a pig sticker under your pillow

I always put my pistol in one boot and my flashlight in the other one.  Easier to find a boot in the dark than a light or gun. 

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 08:43:43 AM »
We are already past the point of hunters effectively managing wolves .......  even if they were cast in the lot with coyotes, wolves would prevail and expand.  WDFW knows that.

Without hounds and baiting, we are loosing control of big cats and bears.  Cats should also be thrown in with coyotes (and wolves) and hunted the same way.  I think with more opportunity and hunter participation, bears can be managed by hunters in the long term.

Coyotes, wolves, and big cats should all be classified as predators and hunted as such, 24/7 365.

:yeah: :bash: :bash:

Ranchers were a lot quicker then the hunters at realizing WDFW were slow playing WA with wolves, but then they lost $$$ right from the beginning. Now that the hunters have caught on, it is too late. Funny all they had to do was look look at ID, MT, and Wyoming to see the outcome.

As the ungulate herds drop and hunting is curtailed the pro-wolf crowd here on H-W will deny any sort of truth or facts on the ground with their usual line of BS, opting instead for some propaganda spewed by WDFW on how there's not enough habitat, rural sprawl, lack of corridors etc.

Predator problems will only get worse with a depleted prey base, friend of mine saw seven bears in one day up the Twisp River -four in one bunch-he now has a bear tag, and last week there was a big cougar less then fifty yards from main street in Twisp. Occasionally I hear some fool say we moved into their territory, actually there's not much left to eat where they use to roam, guess we will find out how much better they eat around town. :bash: :bash: And We can all thank the Trusted WDFW

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal