collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Go pro?  (Read 5270 times)

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Go pro?
« on: August 11, 2019, 12:52:39 PM »
So im not seeing much of the info im looking for on go pro website.  Maybe im just looking in the wrong places. How long of videos can they take?  And they record audio, right?  Thinking of getting one to record predator calling sessions.  Recommendations on particular models?  Hoping i can get one that will record at least 40 minutes.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Go pro?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 12:58:12 PM »
I think I have a 32gig card in my Gopro 6 or 7.  It will record for at least an hour or more at 1080p not sure how much on 4k.  Batteries may not last that long if it is cold out.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 01:00:53 PM »
I think I have a 32gig card in my Gopro 6 or 7.  It will record for at least an hour or more at 1080p not sure how much on 4k.  Batteries may not last that long if it is cold out.

Records audio too?

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 01:40:56 PM »
Yes although I am a slow learner and had my gopro in the water proof container when I first stated using it.  that didnt record audio barely at all.  So make sure you use the correct holder.  I believe my new gopro is waterproof and doesnt need a holder that is water proof just for mounting to stuff.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 01:59:55 PM »
On my list too.  Get 7 black $400.  Image stabilization is very good. Waterproof to 33ft.  Top quality vids. :twocents:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »
On my list too.  Get 7 black $400.  Image stabilization is very good. Waterproof to 33ft.  Top quality vids. :twocents:

Not concerned about waterproof.  I just want it to be able to record video with audio for 40-60 minutes.  And not be too heavy.  Can you wear them on a strap like a headlamp, or do you pretty much neex sonething rigid like a helmet to mount it to?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 02:18:23 PM »
I did this, you'll want to look at lens options or you won't hardly be able to see the predator you're shooting at.   fish eye makes the predators very small and distant

I think I have the old gopro 3-4 and records like 720p  :chuckle:   

As for the duration it depends on the recording quality, if you're recording at 4k that is a massive chunk of memory and will require a HUGE sd card,  back the recording quality down and you'll get longer times.   Also 4k would require a lot more battery,  I was constantly buying batteries and after market batteries trying to extend my sessions but only really got to 30 mintes or so.   I was recording snowmobile movies, predator calling and other crap so I had quite a bag of accessories.  I think for predator calling a scope mount with proper lens would be good. 

Although I think I'd skip the go pro and just get a real vid recorder where you can use other memory options and external batteries..not to mention proper lenses and zoom.  Models a few years old aren't bad.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 02:20:51 PM »
My biggest weakness was putting it into a video format, editing video so people would actually watch it.   That software was/is expensive and time consuming, that's where I failed miserably. 

never did put much on youtube, then I lost interest. 

but ya, all the go pro's have audio,  but you can't put a wind sock on the microphone, nor record directionally. 

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 02:25:44 PM »
I did this, you'll want to look at lens options or you won't hardly be able to see the predator you're shooting at.   fish eye makes the predators very small and distant

I think I have the old gopro 3-4 and records like 720p  :chuckle:   

As for the duration it depends on the recording quality, if you're recording at 4k that is a massive chunk of memory and will require a HUGE sd card,  back the recording quality down and you'll get longer times.   Also 4k would require a lot more battery,  I was constantly buying batteries and after market batteries trying to extend my sessions but only really got to 30 mintes or so.   I was recording snowmobile movies, predator calling and other crap so I had quite a bag of accessories.  I think for predator calling a scope mount with proper lens would be good. 

Although I think I'd skip the go pro and just get a real vid recorder where you can use other memory options and external batteries..not to mention proper lenses and zoom.  Models a few years old aren't bad.

Most of my calling is up close in timber, so i would think it would show the critters fine out to 50 yards?  And a scope mount isnt an option, as i dont want to used scoped rifles in heavy cover.  Also, i want it mounted on my head, so its always pointed where im looking.

Offline Alex4200

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 02:37:00 PM »
I think you will be disappointed how small things look at 50 yards. But you can do some zooming with the editing software. I get very frustrated how long it takes to do quality editing in the software. And don’t forget to cover the red flashing recording light. First time I tried to record a duck hunt we had ducks flaring 200 yards out before we put the GoPro away.

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 02:43:52 PM »
I believe the 6 and 7 allow some zoom.  If you have a MAC/Apple computer or laptop they come with decent video editing which is what I use. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »
Well looks like the latest gopro is a whole new animal compared to the junk I had..

decent review might be a few nuggets of information here

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 02:52:41 PM »
Oh almost forgot, when the gopro is on your head you loose your target when you lean into your gun/bow for the shot.  cock your head to the side about 30 degrees and target goes out of frame

just some of my old observations when I was trying to film with a go pro,  we can't put them on a bow  :bash:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 03:03:30 PM by KFhunter »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »
My internet has been so horrible here at home lately I'd never get anything uploaded,  at 1mbs upload speeds it would take all night and the next day to upload a small video shot at higher resolutions. 

right now I'm getting about .9 to 1.8 mb/s download,  I was getting 8+ but my ISP has gotten too many customers and throttling everyone.   I went from 12mb/s down to 8 and now I'm going to change my billing to their lowest at 2mbs for $40 per month because I'm not even getting a true consistent 2 mbs

do a speed test bango, make sure everything is off and no one else is sucking up your bandwidth.   

https://fast.com/

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 03:13:17 PM »
I dont even have home internet, just whats on my phone.  Dont spend enough time at home to want to pay for it.  Figured if i got a good video i wanted to post online id just take my laptop somewhere with wifi

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]