collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cub Scout Outing Ideas  (Read 2769 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Cub Scout Outing Ideas
« on: September 17, 2019, 01:18:42 PM »
I figured some people around here might have some ideas.  I'm the den leader for the Arlington Webelos den (5th grade boys).  This year is the transition year as I prepare them for crossing over into Boy Scouts.  We have the need for several outings and I'm trying to find some things that have a good learning element as well as the cool factor to keep them interested.  We have done all the hikes, park cleanups and low hanging fruit.

I reached out to Snoho Search & Rescue, but am interested in other ideas between Snohomish and about Conway.  Other options include businesses, manufacturing, associations or clubs, government, etc.  Anything related to the outdoors, hunting, fishing, public service or just interesting or fun would be great.

Any ideas out there?

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: Cub Scout Outing Ideas
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 01:21:03 PM »
My range, SRPC out at Machias have talked about having the scouts come out and help us take down, retire,  and replace our flag. Pm me if any interst and ill get you contact info. Or......just look online, president is Randy. Email available.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 01:27:23 PM »
That could work, thanks.  I'll check the book to see if that would fit in somewhere.  We retired two flags at the family campout last year so it is somewhat familiar to the scouts.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 02:11:44 PM »
tag

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 03:15:02 PM »
Are you all Baloo Trained?  Some of the activities that we did was help grass in blinds at the public hunting area.  Had one opportunity to hang wood duck boxes.  Got to ride in the fire trucks in the parade they do here locally.  We did the pinewood derby, rain gutter regatta and space derby.  We toured Eddie Line kayaks and saw how they were made.  We did some day hikes up little mountain and Oyster dome.  We helped out at the fish hatchery when they were spawning salmon.  We took the Webelos for an over night campout at Deception Pass state park.  We also did a few different activities up at Fire Mountain scout camp.  We went several times for pack fishing events.  Spent a night in Fort Boeing.  We hung a king sized sheet on the wall, used a projector and let the kids pick out a movie to watch that was age appropriate.  We cooked popcorn and roasted smores over the fire pit that they have in the middle of the fort.  We also did quite a few flag ceremonies around the county for different schools, American Legion, Moose and Elks club events.  Just a few activities.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Chesterdog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Eagle Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 04:08:56 PM »
 :yeah:  You could talk to one of the wildlife managers out of the Skagit Headquarters Unit and see if they'll take you out in a boat to the Island unit. (not during hunting season obviously)  There's a blind on the island unit that's nicknamed "the scout blind" because it's an old eagle project.  They are also doing levy reconstruction out at the Skagit to help with salmon spawning grounds.  5th grade boys like dead/rotten zombie chums right?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 05:40:21 PM »
Thanks guys.  Cub Scouts can't be in a boat except at scout camp, otherwise I would probably just take them fishing every week.

We have done tons of activities at Fire Mountain and will be back there twice this year.

I may throw out an e-mail to WDFW and WWA, I forgot about the wood duck boxes which would make a great activity.

We are chartered by the American Legion, somehow that didn't cross my mind but I will reach out there as well.

Offline the1rod

• lets hunt
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 07:57:46 PM »
It's not much,  but if you do another camping trip,  camping in a wall tent is a whole different experience.  Atleast it was for me, might just bring another level of excitement for them. If I was closer I would offer mine up for use!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 08:03:20 PM »
Take them to the gun range and teach them how to shoot.........
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »
Wall tent is a great idea, I didn't think about that.  We'll be camping in November, so I'm sure the weather will be PNW awesome.  We can cook over the stove and dry out clothes.

We have plenty of time at the range this year which is awesome, they are great shots already on the scout trifecta - gun, bow and slingshot.  If it was up to them we would just shoot every week and bag the rest.

I'm also thinking about setting up a game cam and we can go through the pictures every week for a few minutes at the meeting and see what critters show up.  There are a few places in town I'm sure get yote traffic at least.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 08:38:56 PM »
Something that was very popular at the cub scout level was hitting the BMX track or pump tracks.  Some of the boys were very high energy and it was perfect for them.  During the rainy days, trampoline zone or go-carts.  You can also peek their interests by tracking down one of the remote control clubs that does air planes or remote control cars.  They seem to love that at that age.  We also did a dairy tour and showed them the entire process.  They were able to milk a cow.  Stuff you don’t learn in school.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Born2late

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 09:29:39 PM »
You should swing by benchmark barrels and see if they would take the time to show them how a gun is built or how it is stripped down.Always good to get them familiar with the inner workings of the guns they are shooting.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal