collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kuiu Warranty  (Read 10249 times)

Offline Andrew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Kuiu Warranty
« on: September 27, 2019, 11:05:31 AM »
Buyers and owners beware!  I purchased an Icon 5200 pack the final year offered before they redeveloped and offered the ICON Pro.  This pack has been used 5 times (once per year). Last year on the high hunt I unknowingly broke one of the lower 'legs' off the carbon fiber frame after falling on a steep descent.  I realized the issue while preparing my gear for my up coming WY elk hunt.  Needless to say Kuiu's warranty department told me that the lifetime warranty doesn't cover replacement because the pack was discontinued in 2013.  I have been offered 15% off a new pack.  I since responded and suggested that they change their description of the warranty to "limited" since a lifetime warranty implies typically the life of the company.  Gave them examples of companies that actually stand by their product and don't have B.S crafty business models to limit their exposure on warranty coverage.  Here is their explanation:

"Our Lifetime Warranty has guidelines (click here to view them), and your frame doesn't fall within the guidelines. It's not that we no longer carry that frame or pack design, it's just that it's not covered under warranty due to wear and tear over the years. Our warranty is for the lifetime of the company but we all know that hunting gear doesn't last a lifetime. So it's not a product lifetime or we would just keep replacing and replacing everyone's gear no matter the issue. All of our gear ends up taking a loss at some point. Our gear is designed and built with a balance of weight, comfort, performance, and durability as the goal. While KUIU products do excel in all of these aspects, it is not indestructible. Sharp rocks, stiff limbs, unexpected falls, and stress on fabrics (wear and tear) can push any fabric or clothing type beyond its limit. We understand that hunting gear can be pushed to the limits during our hunts, and we do not take these kinds of emails lightly."

So basically there really is no warranty because if you damage the gear while using it for it's intended purpose it isn't covered.

WOW.

Offline Jellymon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Kuiu Warranty
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 11:34:01 AM »
Stone Glacier, Exo and kifaru's warranty wouldnt cover that either. All require a fee to fix what was broken if it was not a manufacturing defect.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 11:43:46 AM by Jellymon »

Offline Andrew

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 11:54:39 AM »
I'd be fine with a fee or an adapter kit that I paid for...however they can't fix it because they changed their profile of the carbon fiber frames.  I don't think it's coincidence that the new frame profile is pretty much the same with the exception of the two lower legs which no longer exist.  I've read online reviews of Icon Pro owners having their frames replaced because they cracked while being used.  I truly believe that if Kuiu had a replacement or adapter kit this would not be an issue.   They clearly know that if they honor the warranty they would need to replace both the frame and pack because they discontinued my model. 

It's crafty, deceitful, unethical, business practice.  They are selling gear marketed with lifetime warranty but providing limited warranty coverage...I know I won't be purchasing Kuiu in future.

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 11:56:01 AM »
I have had only positive things to say about KUIU warranty.  Only used it once or twice both on issues I caused with my Icon 3200.  Did you deal directly with the warranty department, and not customer service?  When I emailed them once I spoke with customer service, who were going to leave me hanging.  So I got the email to the warranty department, and emailed them directly.  They took care of me no questions asked.

Offline HikerHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NWTF, NRA, WHEIA
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 12:01:00 PM »
I'm confused at what you are expecting. The warranty, as is the case for nearly every warranty out there, covers defects in manufacturing, not damage from falls/accidents.

Did you want them to fix/repair it for a fee, but they won't?

Offline Andrew

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 12:01:26 PM »
This is warranty department.

Offline Jellymon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 12:06:28 PM »
Unethical and decietfull? They state plain as day on thier warranty page that what happened to your pack is not covered. Same as all the other high end pack companies.

Offline Andrew

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 12:12:03 PM »
I'm confused at what you are expecting. The warranty, as is the case for nearly every warranty out there, covers defects in manufacturing, not damage from falls/accidents.

This issue I have is that Kuiu is selling gear with "lifetime warranties".  When in fact at best it is a "limited warranty".  I've had more expensive flyrods replaced for the cost of shipping and handling broken under use...that is a lifetime warranty.  The fact that the Icon pack is discontinued and there is no fix I consequently lose my warranty...that is the issue.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 12:22:19 PM »

This issue I have is that Kuiu is selling gear with "lifetime warranties".  When in fact at best it is a "limited warranty".  I've had more expensive flyrods replaced for the cost of shipping and handling broken under use...that is a lifetime warranty.  The fact that the Icon pack is discontinued and there is no fix I consequently lose my warranty...that is the issue.

You didn't lose your warranty because of a discontinued pack. 

Offline ellensburgpo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NWTF
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 01:27:47 PM »
It sounds like the product failed because you fell and broke it, not because of something that was their fault. If you want a no kidding we don’t care how you did it we’ll fix it warranty on a pack the only one I know of is badlands. I’ve used their warranty a bunch and all were clearly my fault and beyond the scope the pack was intended for. They still fixed it free minutes shipping costs. Sorry your pack broke but I think you’re expectations of an pack designed to be as lite as possible being warrantied for something you did isn’t realistic.

I say that having done the same thing to that frame which is why I switched to the new frame and ultimately a kifaru. 
KCCO

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms, 1929

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 08:42:56 PM »
You broke it. It’s not a manufacturer’s defect. It would be like breaking the mirror off of your car because you hit it on the wall backing out of your garage and expecting the vehicle’s manufacturer to cover the repairs under warranty. It’s not a defect in the product if you fell down and broke it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Tjv28

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 09:02:52 PM »
They should cover it... they make you happy, you tell your buddies, Kuiu makes more money in the end. Period

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 09:25:31 PM »
Stone Glacier, Exo and kifaru's warranty wouldnt cover that either. All require a fee to fix what was broken if it was not a manufacturing defect.

You cannot speak to that.

Leupold "lifetime warranty" = covered.  Shame on Kuiu. 
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 09:33:33 PM »
I’m not a Kuiu fanboy and I don’t blame them for not covering a product you damaged.

Optic warranties shouldn’t be compared with backpacks or apparel.

People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2019, 11:26:11 PM »
I don’t understand why a scope should be covered under warranty after it gets run over by a truck either.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal