collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: chevy won't start  (Read 6426 times)

Offline RockChuck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Re: chevy won't start
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2019, 09:09:37 PM »
When I worked on cars I remember having some come in and replacing the battery then having alarm go off or security system lights flashing/no starts and customer didn’t have a remote or know there  was an alarm... we would disconnect battery then turn the key on (one time remember holding key in start position) then have someone hook up the cables.. seemed to do the trick many times. Probably not with yours as it sounds like a newer system. And maybe not even a safe option for electronics?? Possibly worth a try though

Offline LDennis24

• Bear poker
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2019, 09:58:54 PM »
Take the new battery out, push the Chevy into a ditch somewhere and go buy a Ford.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2019, 10:01:00 PM »
I’ve been working on the power steering pump. I got that done today, getting the pulley on was pretty tough for me. In the morning I’ll put the air intake tube back on and fill the new pump with fluid. Hopefully the truck will start and run. And hopefully my brakes and steering will be back. Monday I’m taking it to the Chevy shop for a new battery & have the anti theft checked out. Hopefully I’ll be driving it there and not having it towed.

Offline 3cityhuntr

• Pilgrim
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2019, 10:27:41 AM »
You mentioned having the air intake tube off?  There’s your problem.  Bet it fires right up and stays running when you put it back together.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2019, 04:56:00 PM »
It was the anti theft not liking the battery. For whatever reason it didn't like the battery I bought for it. I put the old battery back in and left it on the charger. It started and I was able to get it to the chevy shop in Port Orchard yesterday for a new battery. It was only giving power to the engine & exterior lights, nothing to the interior. The mechanic put in a new AC Delco battery and now it starts and runs great.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2019, 05:23:26 PM »
Huh?
Never heard of that problem before.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2019, 05:32:47 PM »
Was the battery you bought fully to spec for your truck?
I replaced a battery in a jetta years ago, went cheap and picked up whatever Napa had that was like $60, because I didn't want to spend $120 for the battery recommended by manufacturer. Same deal- the cheap battery didn't work too well. Car started, but acted weird. A day or two later, it wouldn't start at all. Bucked up the money and got the correct battery and everything was great. I learned going cheap on batteries is not the way to go.

Anyhow- glad you got your rig running.  :tup:
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2019, 06:20:57 PM »
It wasn't a cheap battery- it was $150 from Pacific Power Batteries in Marysville. As far as I know it's a good battery. It has more reserve capacity and more cca than the delco the mechanic put in. Both the mechanic and service advisor said it should work fine, but the truck doesn't like it for whatever reason. I'm happy it's going again since I'm heading to Montana Wyoming & North Dakota in a couple weeks. Don't need to be stuck out there with a truck that won't start.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2019, 06:22:33 PM »
It wasn't a cheap battery- it was $150 from Pacific Power Batteries in Marysville. As far as I know it's a good battery. It has more reserve capacity and more cca than the delco the mechanic put in. Both the mechanic and service advisor said it should work fine, but the truck doesn't like it for whatever reason. I'm happy it's going again since I'm heading to Montana Wyoming & North Dakota in a couple weeks. Don't need to be stuck out there with a truck that won't start.

I’ll bet a dollar it’s because of what  I mentioned earlier in this thread.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2019, 06:29:01 PM »

The bolts bottoming out in the terminal? Certainly not impossible.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2019, 06:31:52 PM »

The bolts bottoming out in the terminal? Certainly not impossible.

Ya that. Unless there was an issue with your battery isolator. You said something about aftermarket dual battery setup.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2019, 06:35:57 PM »
Yeah, it's a pretty weird problem to just go away with a new battery and resetting the anti theft, so that might have been it. The cables seemed tight, but I guess there could have been a gap behind the plastic cable end out of sight. The battery isolator's been there for 4 years and is still there with the truck working fine

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2019, 07:31:25 PM »
Yeah, it's a pretty weird problem to just go away with a new battery and resetting the anti theft, so that might have been it. The cables seemed tight, but I guess there could have been a gap behind the plastic cable end out of sight. The battery isolator's been there for 4 years and is still there with the truck working fine

I worked for a couple GM service departments a long time ago. Couldn’t tell you how many no-starts we fixed by installing Delco batteries. Also couldn’t tell you how many times customers didn’t believe me when I told them their brand new batteries were the problem and then explained why.  Eventually figured out you could grind a tiny little bit off the battery bolts and fix it without needing another different battery.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2019, 07:53:48 PM »
I’m happy with deacon batteries. The one I just replaced was in the truck when I bought it 5 years ago.  They’re good batteries.

Offline Whitpirate

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2019, 02:47:33 PM »
Can I ask your average MPG with your 8.1?  I'm looking at one myself and trying to figure out the "real" costs to run it vs. a 6.0 or my current 7.4.  I like the 8.1 torque and don't have the budget for a diesel.  Mostly farm trailer tows and a bit of running kids around town.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by pianoman9701
[Today at 08:57:54 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]