collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cold feet remedy  (Read 3476 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Cold feet remedy
« on: October 07, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
Curious how you guys would go about this. Our late whitetail area in Montana requires a decent walk in on a gated road to get to some of the spots I like to sit on. I am one of those unlucky souls that has always battled cold hands and feet. My current dilemma is how to keep the feet warm after my hike. My boots have 400 gram insulation and I am worried if I bought some with more that my feet would sweat on hike in. I have the artic shield boot covers but they can be a pain when just sitting on the ground up against a tree and not in a stand. Anyone use those rechargeable heated insoles?
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline stickbuck

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Cold feet remedy
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 07:25:56 PM »
I have always wanted to give something like this a try after I get to my stand after a long walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 08:50:11 PM »
Loosen your boots when you get where you want to sit and also good coat and pants to keep your core warm.

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 09:03:01 PM »
I've never tried them but heated socks may be worth a shot. You could turn them on/off as needed.

Offline bornhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 09:16:55 PM »
Heat packets for feet. Like the ones for your hands but for your feet. Costco has them but ita a big box of them. Theybwork great for me.

Offline Old Dog

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 11:03:23 PM »
I have some of the Therma Cell heated insoles, and I really like them.  I use them mostly for winter stealheading, and they work.  They don't keep your feet warm, because if they did that you would sweat, and that adds to the cold.  Instead they keep your feet from getting cold.  The literature from Therma Cell explains it a lot better.  They are pricey! 
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline jeffro

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 12:12:31 AM »
I bought boots 1 1/2  sizes bigger than normal and put a 1/2” wool pad in the bottom.
Keeps the cold of the ground from getting to your feet.
Gaiters also help
I once worked in a freezer warehouse (AG) at -30 all day. This technique works well.
And I carry a few of those chemical heat packets just in case.
One shot. One kill!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 06:57:28 AM »
I have always wanted to give something like this a try after I get to my stand after a long walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar pair and they are ok. I might try them with hand warmers in them. Only issue I had in past is boots are normally wet to the warmers don’t work well. My idea is to use snack sized zip lock baggies to put them in and leave them unzipped so they still get air
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 07:27:14 AM »
Same boat and unfortunately there isn't a good remedy except for heavy insulated boots that suck to hike in so today imma learn you something Adam!  Puffy slippers  8)

When you get to your stand, take off your boots. Put on your puffy slippers,  toss a hot hands in your over boots pictured above and slip on the over boots.

Sucks if you have to make a move but gotta weigh the pro's and con's. For me it's not stand hunting its glassing late season. I'm more effective and more focused behind the glass if I'm not squirming my frozen toes, standing up to move around, etc.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 07:40:17 AM »
I have used something like this when snow camping on mountains once back in camp:
https://www.rei.com/product/105416/cabiniste-down-booties-mens
Just beware they have zero traction and you can go for an unplanned glissade on snow.

Another trick that works if you are able to remove your shoes is to boil some water with a backpacking stove, fill up a water bottle with super hot water and then put that bottle in a place with your feet.  I have done this in a sleeping bag before and it works miracles!

You could stuff your feet inside your backpack with the water bottle and let them heat up then put your down booties on and be toasty!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:04:59 AM by Rob »
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Fidelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, JCSA
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 07:43:59 AM »
A pair or two of merino wool sock liners (Smartwool?) and a pair of heavy Ragg wool     socks (Ice Socks). I've switched over from leather boots to Altra high top Peak series trail running shoes. They allow your feet a lot of space to move your toes around.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 08:23:26 AM »
Curious how you guys would go about this. Our late whitetail area in Montana requires a decent walk in on a gated road to get to some of the spots I like to sit on. I am one of those unlucky souls that has always battled cold hands and feet. My current dilemma is how to keep the feet warm after my hike. My boots have 400 gram insulation and I am worried if I bought some with more that my feet would sweat on hike in. I have the artic shield boot covers but they can be a pain when just sitting on the ground up against a tree and not in a stand. Anyone use those rechargeable heated insoles?

A fairly easy protocol might be to just bring a second pair of socks. Walk in, if your feet get sweaty, take off that pair and put on the dry pair. Should help some I would think. I'll admit I don't suffer from cold feet so I don't have a stake in this game. I have considered untying my boots and putting a hand warmer in there while stationary.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline swampjunke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 09:15:28 AM »
Try a little cayenne pepper in your socks :tup:

Offline Wunderlich33

• Hunter
  • You sure you know how to skin Griz?
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 10:00:24 AM »
Cayenne pepper?!?!?  Maybe try some smoked paprika while your at it... Let me know how it works  :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 10:07:54 AM »
I'm more of a Cajun guy. If i'm really feeling it, a little Creole goes a long way. Feet might be cold, but man do they smell gooooooood!   :chuckle:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal