Advertisement

Author Topic: Vortex  (Read 2402 times)

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
Vortex
« on: October 08, 2019, 10:23:28 PM »
Camofire has some vortex binoculars going right now.  I've never owned any vortex glass.  Are those good prices they are offering for the glass you get?
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline TooTallMike

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Scout
Re: Vortex
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 11:57:40 PM »
Have never personally held the crossfire models but in my experience when buying vortex glass you need to get the viper at least. Bought some viper hds last year and they are solid and the glass is great for the price. Compared them to the razors and the difference was marginal.

Online JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 06:07:30 AM »
They're pretty good for the price but if you glass a lot get a better set. For me they're just truck glass, I leave them in there and am not worried if they get broke or stolen.
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline Tracker0721

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 06:56:56 AM »
I have completely given up on them and will even give them up if offered for free unless it’s the razor line. Every bino or scope I’ve owned had to be sent back due to it breaking. That’s what happens when a company sells out though. Got a lot of attention, a lot of people to hype them off, then sold, moved to a new factory, then sold and moved again. I’ve quit buying anything with plastic gears across the board. Which is what vortex uses and has broke in all my scopes.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 10:30:40 AM »
They're pretty good for the price but if you glass a lot get a better set. For me they're just truck glass, I leave them in there and am not worried if they get broke or stolen.

I'd say the above is a pretty fair statement.  I have a pair of Viper HD 10x42's and the above is about how I would rate them.

The one thing that bugs the he11 out of me with Vortex products is until you get up to their Razor line, there seems to be a lot of variance in their optics.  A couple years ago Midway had a big sale going on the Viper 10x42's so I bought four sets of them and gave them out as Christmas presents.  All four sets of those binos had a certain amount of variance to their optically quality.  I also have a set of 15x56 Kaibab binos and they're actually pretty good.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 10:35:52 AM »
I'd buy bushnell binos before I bought those.  Not a vortex optics fan and those are the bottom of the barrel.   :tup: :tup: 

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 10:40:48 AM »
Every bino or scope I’ve owned had to be sent back due to it breaking.

Same here.

I still have vortex binos and a diamondback spotting scope but will upgrade to a different brand once I'm done paying my way through additional schooling.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 11:07:27 AM »
I've used my Talon HDs for probably 7 or 8 years. Absolutely love them and the unconditional guaranty, should anything happen to them.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline stlusn30-06

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 12:57:40 PM »
The lines for sale on Camofire aren't the best. As the old adage goes, buy the best glass you can afford. If all you have is $200, it isn't a bad option. If you can afford more and are just looking at the deal, take a pass.

“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2019, 02:51:27 PM »
I've used my Talon HDs for probably 7 or 8 years. Absolutely love them and the unconditional guaranty, should anything happen to them.

I have this for about the same time as well.  For the money I have been very happy.  I have a diamondback scope on my Daughter's rifle and it was on mine before that.  It has never failed to hold zero and has not been treated with kid gloves for sure.

I have the range finder and did have it stop working once.  I sent it back and received a brand new one in about a week which has worked for 3-4 years now.

I don't think there is an optic made that can't be broken, I haven't seen any reason that Vortex products are more fragile than any other at the same price point.  If you compare $200 binos, I think they will compare favorably to other brands.  If you compare a $200 Vortex with a $2,500 Brand X there will obviously be big differences in everything from materials to build quality to durability.

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2019, 06:11:53 PM »
Thanks for the info all.  I think I will pass on them as I'm looking for a decent pair for glassing.  I already have truck glass, old pair of bausch and lombs, some of the better glass I've used.
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »
Don't know your price range but for a few hundred dollars the Meopta meopros get rave reviews. I recently bought Meostars and am very impressed.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal