collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2019 Blacktail Early Season activity reports - anybody seeing bucks?  (Read 19403 times)

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 2019 Blacktail Early Season activity reports - anybody seeing bucks?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 05:50:10 PM »
Hunted Saturday morning and evening and Sunday morning. We couldn't turn up a buck. I'm not trying hard until the last week of October. We will stay out full days at that point.

Offline merlo105

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 06:32:33 PM »
If you did you're pre season scouting you should be in the Deer. No the bucks aren't rutting no the bucks aren't gonna rut earlier this year. Some bucks live with in the doe groups that's why you see bucks running around with doe at all times of the year. The cooler temps are what is making deer move more during day light hours. Got over 16 cameras out and all have bucks in the day light hours. The bigger loner bucks are still in there holes they'll be moving looking for the chicks at the same time they do every single year. Not uncommon to find rubs this time of year or throughout September how else do they get the velvet off. Good luck everyone keep hunting and quit believing in folklore.
Will hunt for food

Offline BA Mongor

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 06:56:00 PM »
Interesting Merlo.

I better have a talk with the (2) larger bucks around the house and tell them to stop bugging those does and get back in their holes!!!!

Offline merlo105

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 07:21:23 PM »
BA Mongor, just cause a buck hangs out and plays and follows the females around has nothing to do with anything except there hanging out with them. Nothing more nothing less. Younger deer are like teenagers they don't know what there doing but there gonna try anyway. And when I refer to the bigger bucks I'm talking about mature deer 5 and older. If you have bigger deer on your property its cause they feel safe and yes will move freely usually in the city or a rural area where there not harassed. But crap everyone can believe what they want I suppose.
Will hunt for food

Offline BA Mongor

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 07:48:06 PM »
Thanks for the input and deer lesson Merlo !
LOL !!! You city folk and your all knowing wisdom of all things blacktail. I love believing in crap.

I do agree with you though, in that they're not getting it on yet, but will be by the 25th or so. It's always the same every year, no matter if it rains, snows or the sun shines. But I'm sure that statement is just a big steaming pile of 50 years of living in the woods and killing blacktail all my life....

Offline LeeRay

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 08:10:55 PM »
We've been out for the past three days in the Bear Creak/Dewatto area (GMU 627-bordering 633)and have seen nothing but does. However this is our first time hunting in Washington State and we're still figuring things out.

Offline merlo105

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 08:12:42 PM »
City Folk No, lived in a small town my entire life. Played with Blacktail every day. I mean crap my job is to know the animal and what they do. But I'm sure 50 years of weekends got my 15 years of everyday beat. I would love to see the 50 years of trophys. Have to about have a good half dozen or more deer in the 120-150 class range. I'm tired of the dick measuring contest so I will pull my pants back up. Really hope you get a Dandy this year. Be safe have fun looking forward to hearing about every one's encounters.
Will hunt for food

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 08:22:22 PM »
We've been out for the past three days in the Bear Creak/Dewatto area (GMU 627-bordering 633)and have seen nothing but does. However this is our first time hunting in Washington State and we're still figuring things out.

LeeRay, you’re in a good area if you’re seeing does. Keep hunting where you’ve see the does, particularly at the crack of dawn, and you WILL start seeing some sniffing, cruising bucks as the rut progresses. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline CougHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 09:09:59 PM »
I was out Saturday morning for the opener. I was saw at least twenty trucks parked on the side of the road, but surprisingly I didn't hear a single shot.

I saw a nice buck at about 4:00 AM, but nothing during shooting hours.

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2019, 09:12:29 PM »
I have seen so many blacktail bucks this year. I have simplified my approach to the same areas I normally hunt. I have been walking less, sitting longer, and glassing harder.

The rut is definitely not on but I spotted a very nice buck glued to a doe on opening day. Spotted another slipping through the area with does the second. I have no self control and took a small buck after he got done running around with some does and walked right into my lap.

Don't be discouraged about seeing does. You never know if a buck is around just because. If nothing else it gives you a chance to study their appearance and movement to help develop your game eye cuz those suckers are so hard to spot.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2019, 09:59:42 PM »
I have seen so many blacktail bucks this year. I have simplified my approach to the same areas I normally hunt. I have been walking less, sitting longer, and glassing harder.

The rut is definitely not on but I spotted a very nice buck glued to a doe on opening day. Spotted another slipping through the area with does the second. I have no self control and took a small buck after he got done running around with some does and walked right into my lap.

Don't be discouraged about seeing does. You never know if a buck is around just because. If nothing else it gives you a chance to study their appearance and movement to help develop your game eye cuz those suckers are so hard to spot.

All good thoughts.  Congrats on ending your season, even if it wasn't a trophy.  I'm expecting tag soup this season, cause I don't need the meat and I'm telling myself I can pass on lesser bucks and wait for mister big.  We'll see how that all shakes out.  I'll probably end up with a spike that I swore was a four-point. 

Saw one doe today out on a firewood run after dropping my boy at school.   Took my rifle, forgot my binocs, knife, and pack.  Got all my firewood safety gear loaded along with gas, and bar oil, but turned out I forgot my chainsaw too.  Wasted day! 

No reason to get all excited about whether the deer are rutting yet.  That's why I was looking for "early season reports" .  The rut thread won't start for another day or two.   :chuckle:  Good luck out there.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 03:36:59 AM »
I talked to a guy this afternoon going into the unit showing my buddy some areas to cut some firewood.  Guy told me last Friday he saw 18 different bucks.  I asked him then why he was still hunting on Monday and he stuttered something about moon phase/polar vortex/global warming/anti's launching drones in the area/etc, etc, etc.  Myself has yet to see any deer  rutting activity although the bulls at work are still bugling
:chuckle: :chuckle:18 different bucks....
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline Spuddieselwwu

• Spuddieselwwu
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, NRA, RMEF
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 11:33:56 AM »

All good thoughts.  Congrats on ending your season, even if it wasn't a trophy.  I'm expecting tag soup this season, cause I don't need the meat and I'm telling myself I can pass on lesser bucks and wait for mister big.  We'll see how that all shakes out.  I'll probably end up with a spike that I swore was a four-point. 

Saw one doe today out on a firewood run after dropping my boy at school.   Took my rifle, forgot my binocs, knife, and pack.  Got all my firewood safety gear loaded along with gas, and bar oil, but turned out I forgot my chainsaw too.  Wasted day! 

No reason to get all excited about whether the deer are rutting yet.  That's why I was looking for "early season reports" .  The rut thread won't start for another day or two.   :chuckle:  Good luck out there.

Fishnfur - where in longview are you?  I'm out by Bakers Corner and hunt the treefarm in 550.

Online Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 11:57:11 AM »
I will start by saying I know nothing about blacktails, a little about whitetails, and marginally more about mulies…

I recently moved to Monroe, and I have a few game cameras I put out and play with. 

I have probably 8-10 decent bucks show on camera from Spring through mid-August.  Time of day does not seem to matter, they show morning, mid-day, evening and night time with no real patterns I have detected yet.

Then poof - anything with more than 2 points is apparently abducted by aliens or something!  The abductions are timed to when the velvet goes away.  Not really seeing any rubs either.

Many many does and fawns continue to show, but the bucks all go into hiding (perhaps they have viet-cong tunnel systems cause the does are clearly bearing fawns!). 

The land I am putting cameras on is not hunted, nor from what I can tell do my neighbors. 

Just some raw data to toss out there to be bantered about!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline skagitsteel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/ryan.gaither.908
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 01:48:13 PM »
I will start by saying I know nothing about blacktails, a little about whitetails, and marginally more about mulies…

I recently moved to Monroe, and I have a few game cameras I put out and play with. 

I have probably 8-10 decent bucks show on camera from Spring through mid-August.  Time of day does not seem to matter, they show morning, mid-day, evening and night time with no real patterns I have detected yet.

Then poof - anything with more than 2 points is apparently abducted by aliens or something!  The abductions are timed to when the velvet goes away.  Not really seeing any rubs either.

Many many does and fawns continue to show, but the bucks all go into hiding (perhaps they have viet-cong tunnel systems cause the does are clearly bearing fawns!). 

The land I am putting cameras on is not hunted, nor from what I can tell do my neighbors. 

Just some raw data to toss out there to be bantered about!

They don't have tunnel systems, once blacktail bucks reach about 5 years in age they learn to climb trees  :chuckle:  Just keep after it one of these days you'll catch a good one when he steps down to stretch his legs

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal