collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 7.3 Powerstroke Help  (Read 8104 times)

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
7.3 Powerstroke Help
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2019, 09:07:08 AM »
You need to check ipr percentage and see if the icp sensor is reading any psi. If your ipr percentage goes way up ( such as 80% or higher) then you have an internal leak somewhere. Normal % is around 25-35 to start up. Also you are looking at more than 500 psi from your icp for start up. On the scanner you should see desired and actual. If those are both good I would lean towards an ecm. All of your injectors don’t just fail. I’ve seen bad fuel go thru injectors multiple times. I’ve had this same thing happen with a bad ipr valve. That is what helps build psi in the hpop system. Don’t just throw parts at it. It gets expensive real quick. Especially with a diesel. Try not to crank the engine more than 30 seconds at a time with a few minute cool down. You’ll be putting a starter in it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TommyH

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: 7.3 Powerstroke Help
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2019, 07:23:15 PM »
I (we) seen the ipr and icp and thought they were both ok. But I could be missing something...? I need to pull the valve cover and check plug and harness. I’ll probably replace them while I’m in there, plan on doing glow plugs. I’ve been thinking it’s the IDM. Testing one here in the next few days from a buddies truck.

Offline TommyH

• Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2019, 08:15:15 PM »
I looked again at the pics I took of the scan tool, I also had a P1280 code. ICP circut our of range low.

Wouldn't focus on that. Likely got that code when you tried running it without the ICP sensor plugged in. I would have cleared the codes and then tried to start it again and checked once more for codes. Also, would be ideal if you could get ICP psi # and IPR duty cycle %. Need to know if you are getting enough high pressure oil to fire injectors.
We did clear them and ran again, I think that’s why I missed this code from pics because i think it was gone after the second go around. :tup:

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Hunter
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2019, 08:31:44 PM »
That icp seems unusual to me. That’s normally what you would see if you dead headed the high psi oil pump. You want to see over 500 while cranking. 725 is ideal but 2554 psi does not seem right. Your ipr looks fine. If you clear all the codes do any come back while cranking?

Offline TommyH

• Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 08:49:52 PM »
You need to check ipr percentage and see if the icp sensor is reading any psi. If your ipr percentage goes way up ( such as 80% or higher) then you have an internal leak somewhere. Normal % is around 25-35 to start up. Also you are looking at more than 500 psi from your icp for start up. On the scanner you should see desired and actual. If those are both good I would lean towards an ecm. All of your injectors don’t just fail. I’ve seen bad fuel go thru injectors multiple times. I’ve had this same thing happen with a bad ipr valve. That is what helps build psi in the hpop system. Don’t just throw parts at it. It gets expensive real quick. Especially with a diesel. Try not to crank the engine more than 30 seconds at a time with a few minute cool down. You’ll be putting a starter in it.

Ecm = IDM ?

:tup:   ICP pressure @2554 indicates hpop is fine correct...? IPR % at 39 while cranking, so assuming it’s ok, (and *new* but Napa parts, CPS was autozone,)  I’m left thinking my ipr (new) is working, cps is new (autozone) hpop is making pressure according it icp....? I’m leaning to IDM failure.?
 Uvch/gaskets would only be one bank or another, I’d have smoke out the tailpipe, and injectors injecting on one bank. Not a die while driving, not a no smoke out the pipe, and most likely would run, even on four injectors working.

???

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Hunter
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2019, 08:55:29 PM »
Your ipr is fine but if the icp goes straight to 2554 while cranking that does not seem right. It should be around 725. 2550 should be the max if that pump was dead headed. If there is no smoke from the exhaust then there is no fuel being injected into the cylinder. You can try swapping your buddies IDM. Try swapping the icp also. See what happens.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2019, 09:07:03 PM »
IDM is injector driver module.

ECM is really a PCM with Ford. Powertrain control module.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline TommyH

• Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2019, 09:48:43 PM »
You said it happend after driving around in the rain? The idm on your superduty is behind the fender I believe so it is very possible it got wet (sure it’s sealed good but seals can go bad) and went bad. Hope you get it working soon.

I’m leaning to this being the case.. but I’ve been wrong before,  I’ll try swapping another IDM, I’ve read any 99-02(03)? iDM will work. Is that “will work” and allow it to run but not run right compared to if equipped with the correct IDM???  I’ll be Trying a 01 IDM in a 99.

Offline TommyH

• Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2019, 09:59:52 PM »
Your ipr is fine but if the icp goes straight to 2554 while cranking that does not seem right. It should be around 725. 2550 should be the max if that pump was dead headed. If there is no smoke from the exhaust then there is no fuel being injected into the cylinder. You can try swapping your buddies IDM. Try swapping the icp also. See what happens.

Thanks, this maybe something I need to look into more. I thought I had read the psi will continue to increase as it turns over...? At the start of the video I took of the scan tool ICP psi was at 2500 ish.. it could have been a few seconds into cranking.? Any ideas of why a high psi while cranking would occur?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 10:18:08 PM by TommyH »

Offline TommyH

• Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2019, 10:10:36 PM »
I am getting a “wait to start light” meaning ? communication with the pcm I think..(pcm and wait to start light on same fuse and also fuel bowl heater that I previously 2 years ago unplugged)  I don’t know if communication - “ wait to start” equals proper functionality...?

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2019, 01:02:42 AM »
 You are putting the cart in front of the horse. Swap the IDM and go from there. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline dyhardhuntr

• Hunter
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2019, 07:28:47 AM »
Your icp will climb while cranking but not to 2554. The desired and or default(if there is an issue) is 725 psi. That’s at idle. 2554psi would be at high idle or max rpm. If it was running there should be an option under functional tests to check the output of the pump. It is a step test where you close the ipr and it dead heads the pump. The icp should show what kind of psi the pump is putting out. Also the best way to see if the icp is reading correctly is to put a gauge capable of 3,000 psi in place of the icp. Only then will you know what your psi is cutting out all electronics. Take your icp sensorinto a hydraulic hose store. You should be able to get the hose, fitting and gauge for under $50. Of while cranking your reading 725 psi on the gauge but the scanner said 2554 you’ve narrowed your issue to the icp sensor/wiring.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2019, 08:04:46 AM »
🤔
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline TommyH

• Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2019, 09:02:11 AM »
So, got the IDM swapped out yesterday and my truck is alive again! I still have the same issues (pre IDM failure), SES light came on after 5-10 minutes of idling. The SES light has always turned off after a short drive and truck regains full power. I’m pretty sure i have some glow plug problems and suspect some injector issues as well. (P1277 cylinder 7 (c) high to low side open)...
before I plugged the new IDM in I did this recommended test. https://system.na1.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=609394&c=744110&h=a78527245dc5a18cb805&_xt=.pdf

On test one (from link) Ohms were supposed to read between 2.8 and 3.6, test 1 procedure 1-4 tests drivers side bank, 5-8 tests passenger side. These were read from the IDM plug.
Here’s the ohm readings I got from drivers side bank.
On Pins 23 and 22 = 4
Pins 23 and 7 =7.8
Pins 23 and 19 =7.1
Pins 23 and 9 =4.2
Passenger side were all between 3.2 and 3.5.
The high readings (drivers side) of 7.8 and 7.1 were from injectors 4 and 6. Anybody have more insight on what these higher resistance readings indicate? Possible injector solenoids..?
From the link-
INJECTOR RESISTANCE + WIRING TESTFaulty electrical wiring between the injectors and IDM can be an issue with the Ford 7.3L Power Stroke engine. To determine whether the wiring between the injectors and IDM is within specifcation and that there are no open or short circiuts, measure the resistance (ohms) of the complete power output and ground cir-cuit. Measuring the resistance will also determine whether you have defective injector solenoid(s). You can see where the wiring is connected into both styles of wiring harnesses (model years 1994 - 1998 and model years 1999 - 2003) below.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]