collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: West Side Easy Access for non-offroad vehicles  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Hipcatblue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
West Side Easy Access for non-offroad vehicles
« on: October 20, 2019, 11:03:55 PM »
Hello Everyone,
I am on the west side in North Kent and I am looking to try to bag some grouse or rabbit. One of my biggest challenges is I only have a Chevy Sonic and I worry about getting stuck out in the mud. anyone have any areas that would recommend. I am more then willing to do some walking but I am having a challenge on where to get started any recommendations would be appreciated.

Offline optic2

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
Re: West Side Easy Access for non-offroad vehicles
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 12:53:54 AM »
Plenty of Seattle hikers driving a Toyota Prius make it up our forest service roads. You can too. The problem isn't mud, it's some of the ruts in the road.

Offline Hipcatblue

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 09:47:41 AM »
Thanks, I will give it a go. If there is any hilarity I will be sure to share.

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 09:17:17 PM »
Carry a come along  and some rope in cash you get stuck , that little car would be easy to get unstuck with come along or even a traction mat  :twocents:

Offline Hipcatblue

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 08:06:52 PM »
Carry a come along  and some rope in cash you get stuck , that little car would be easy to get unstuck with come along or even a traction mat  :twocents:

That's a great tip, I will pick one up.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 08:14:22 PM »
tire plugs and a compressor

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 08:17:11 PM »
Rabbit shouldn't require much driving at all, they are everywhere I go at daylight.

Offline madeirax56

• test
  • Pilgrim
  • Hey there! Seeking hunting partner!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 05:55:13 PM »
Hey, I do all my hunting and traveling year round for hunting in a 2000 Honda Accord...couple tips:

The guy who mentioned a comealong is great, I have one for 500lbs and its enough to get me out of mud when needed with a little ingenuity. Look on CL or Letgo or used market, I got mine for $20 and its proved priceless.

Mud/snow: stuffing tree branches and gravel and whatever is available under the drive tires is clutch. Ive gotten out of dozens of jams and stucks with that trick both in my Accord, and my gfs Ford Focus hybrid. So for FWD, jam this stuff under the front of the front tires, it will provide the traction you need to get out. Once you get rolling, DONT STOP giving it gas until you are 100% out of dodge. It helps to know whether your vehicle is FWD or RWD. FWD is tougher, but fro RWD you can load as much over rear axle as possible to add weight over axle, that helps with traction when stuck. If you are making a habit out of this arduous driving, id recommend a bag of larger sized gravel to carry with you for putting under tires.

As far as getting stuck in the ruts, I try my best to drive outside or in between them, but if you have to go over one best to hit it with a tire at 90 degrees to it. So if for example you are traveling on the left, with your right tire in between washout or tire grooves, turn HARD RIGHT to get over to the other side when necessary. You can also get close with your tires, stop, and kind of stomp down the walls of the rut with your feet to create more of a passageway for your tires.

Most importantly (obviously..) is to just understand and ACCEPT your cars limitations. Ive come close to ruining mine a few times, and it pulls a little to the right now because of all this lol, but dont let it stop you!
One can only ever pursue the great outdoors, he never captures it fully.

Offline Hipcatblue

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 11:55:04 PM »
Hey, I do all my hunting and traveling year round for hunting in a 2000 Honda Accord...couple tips:

The guy who mentioned a comealong is great, I have one for 500lbs and its enough to get me out of mud when needed with a little ingenuity. Look on CL or Letgo or used market, I got mine for $20 and its proved priceless.

Mud/snow: stuffing tree branches and gravel and whatever is available under the drive tires is clutch. Ive gotten out of dozens of jams and stucks with that trick both in my Accord, and my gfs Ford Focus hybrid. So for FWD, jam this stuff under the front of the front tires, it will provide the traction you need to get out. Once you get rolling, DONT STOP giving it gas until you are 100% out of dodge. It helps to know whether your vehicle is FWD or RWD. FWD is tougher, but fro RWD you can load as much over rear axle as possible to add weight over axle, that helps with traction when stuck. If you are making a habit out of this arduous driving, id recommend a bag of larger sized gravel to carry with you for putting under tires.

As far as getting stuck in the ruts, I try my best to drive outside or in between them, but if you have to go over one best to hit it with a tire at 90 degrees to it. So if for example you are traveling on the left, with your right tire in between washout or tire grooves, turn HARD RIGHT to get over to the other side when necessary. You can also get close with your tires, stop, and kind of stomp down the walls of the rut with your feet to create more of a passageway for your tires.

Most importantly (obviously..) is to just understand and ACCEPT your cars limitations. Ive come close to ruining mine a few times, and it pulls a little to the right now because of all this lol, but dont let it stop you!

Thanks I have picked up the recover items, I just haven't had a chance to get out as much. I can accept my Sonic for what it is, a commuter. I have however picked up some cheap mud flaps so it has that going for it.

I went to Tiger Mountain at first light but no luck yet. I am going to try a few other locations.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal