collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help calling ducks?  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Ltburrows

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Help calling ducks?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 08:31:32 PM »
Everyone’s pretty much covered everything. The biggest thing that helped me when I was learning was to record myself. Sometimes the quack that you think sound like crap sound the most realistic when you play it back. The best CDs that I’ve found is “bad grammar university.”  The last thing I suggest is to take your call with you in the car and practice.

Offline Capt.Kyle97

• Tracker
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 11:16:27 AM »
concealment with ducks is a big deal.  I struggle photographing them as they pick out my camera or lens easily, even if everything is camo'd up.   No shave november was invented for a reason. ;)   

ducks are super hard to hide from because they have a peripheral vision of 340 degrees, so there is only about 20 degrees they cant see behind them. Thats why when your trying to sneak up on them to jump shoot, they will bust without even looking in your direction. I have found this is also important when ducks fly over your head, people think that since they flew past its okay to move and look at them but often they can still see you.

Offline AL WORRELLS KID

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
  • The Ancient of Days Lives
  • Groups: Washington State Trappers Association
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »
Fall for the best, die like the rest. QUACK! QUACK!   :tup:
Doug                                                                                                                                                             

"The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 12:35:00 PM »
I keep a call(s) in my truck all year...in the off season I go listen to them anywhere I can find them.  Sometimes I just listen and other times I try to "talk" with them...sometimes people look at me weird but then again people often look at me weird  :o Other have provided good suggestions too...just practice and don't give up on it.

Offline spadebit

• Tracker
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2019, 11:23:09 PM »
All great info.
I still suck at calling...but I love the Haydel Dr 85.  It is nearly impossible to screw it up once you understand the cadence.
And you soon will come to find out...when you arent paying attention, for example taking a piss...that is when birds seem to come in.  It's like they know they are safe. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal